BFTG Barnsley

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: BFTG Barnsley

by Kitsondinho » 18 Sep 2016 11:23

Nameless
Nameless Not sure if it has been noted previously but McLeary had been so dominant in the first twenty minutes that Barnsley hauled their left back off and replaced him with a bloke who looked and played like an apprentice centre back. He was no more effective against Gareth and to be honest even after the red card I think the bloke was still scar d that McLeary would reappear and start his nightmare again.

I also think some posters have been very unfair on Kermogant. He won everything in the air against a player several,inches taller. He also did his share of chasing and when the ball was played to feet he was laying it off well. He is not Noel Hunt or Kevin Bremner, but he puts the effort in and is doing a very difficult job pretty well. A little bit more credit is deserved .

Absolutely agree.....Yann was excellent yesterday in terms of his work-rate and team ethic. Yes, he only really came close to scoring with that 2nd half shot straight at the keeper, but he won almost everything in the air, chased their defenders into having to launch it and dropped into CM when needed. Ditto Obita when he came on. Barnsley were just building a head of steam and Obita's introduction really shut their midfield down. It allowed us to sit a bit deeper and nulifiy most of their threats. He also provided a good outlet on the left when we had the ball. In fact, I was really impressed with all of Stam's substitutions. They all came at the right time and kept us ahead.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Sep 2016 11:36

Good goals.

Swift is going to be a massive hit for us and I fear we'll lose him in the summer.

Foul on Danny Williams wasn't that bad. His reaction afetrwards was, and should have been a red. GMac's foul was so blatant it should have been about thirty reds.

A deserved 2-1 away against a tough high scoring team in form with 10men for most of the game is just absolutely incredible.

The basis of a team is a strong defence and ability to hold possession when needed and Stam has done that.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 18 Sep 2016 11:55

2 world wars, 1 world cup Good goals.

Swift is going to be a massive hit for us and I fear we'll lose him in the summer.

Foul on Danny Williams wasn't that bad. His reaction afetrwards was, and should have been a red. GMac's foul was so blatant it should have been about thirty reds.

A deserved 2-1 away against a tough high scoring team in form with 10men for most of the game is just absolutely incredible.

The basis of a team is a strong defence and ability to hold possession when needed and Stam has done that.

Should not lose anyone if we keep up the team spirit on show of late.
Likely to attract more hopefully.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Sep 2016 13:28

marlowuk
Ian Royal Having seen it now, I think McCleary was fully justified in getting involved and a push wasn't out of order

It's a football match! Pushing an opponent like that is always 'out of order', there is no 'justification' for it and there is no point in trying to defend it. It was a red card all day long.

Thankfully it was out of character for Garath and he has apologised and I doubt we will see anything similar from him in the future.

Well done for quoting half my post and ignoring the bit where I said what he actually did was excessive.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 Sep 2016 15:35

It's better to have players sent off fighting for each other than against each other (Williams/McShane)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Sep 2016 19:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup
t.

We had players booked for challenges less obvious than the one on Williams, and they got away with lots that were worse.
While McLeary's foul was a stupid and clear red it was also very soft. He didn't hurt anyone, he had a reasonable excuse for reacting (although not in the way he did)
It would be interesting to know if the Barnsley player was booked for the tackle or the abuse aimed at Williams. The abuse was a worse act than McLeary's.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 18 Sep 2016 19:46

Westwood52
Greatwesternline Harsh red IMO

Listened to the game on Radio Berks-Deller's commentary still awful.

And he screamed with a delighted excitement as Barnsley got their goal. Why Tim?

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 18 Sep 2016 21:33

maffff It's better to have players sent off fighting for each other than against each other (Williams/McShane)

Out of character so like mentioned above I doubt it will ever happen again.
I agree with your post and I bet there was far less who wanted either of those heads on a stick like they do mcclearys.
And the smear campaign about him swearing at fans is full of shite also

jinster

by jinster » 19 Sep 2016 09:02

Great result and performance, Stam has got this group playing and sticking up for each other. Our football up until the sending off was great to watch, some real attacking intent with our new style of play. GMAC terrorised there left back (s) and is back to his best form from a few seasons ago -Went for a drink in the Mount (Barnsley fans pub) afterwards and their fans were going on about our number 12 and how good he was! If we can stay in and around the top 6 until January, invest in a decent striker or 2 we may just well make the top 6 - I am not for one second saying we will get promoted but will come close and that is a great improvement from the last coupe of seasons. This team and squad will now only get better and stronger under Stam. Special mentions to Moore and Al Habsi too, thought Al Habsi had his best game in a Reading shirt, the save at the end of the game was just awesome.
Last edited by jinster on 19 Sep 2016 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2016 09:30

*Stam

jinster

by jinster » 19 Sep 2016 10:03

royalp-we *Stam

Edited for you :D :D

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Sep 2016 10:40

royalp-we *Stam

Schtaam as Schteve McClaren would say.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Sep 2016 11:10

I'm optimistic but I refuse to get carried away, we were 2nd in early October of last season and pretty much singing the praises of the squad like we are now, a lot can change.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Sep 2016 11:18

tidus_mi2 I'm optimistic but I refuse to get carried away, we were 2nd in early October of last season and pretty much singing the praises of the squad like we are now, a lot can change.

I think there are massive differences and there are reasons to be optimistic.

1. This is a real manager with definite ideas.

2. The team is IMPROVING steadily, not a flash in the pan side.

3. We are not reliant on one striker (Blackman) having a purple patch.

4. Team spirit is massively better.

5. We are showing guts, drive determination with late goals, playing with ten men etc

6. We have had a tough start and played a lot of the top sides

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Sep 2016 11:20

Remember the tail end of last season where the most common complaint was that the team lacked identity? The most pleasant change for me, is that the team has one.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Sep 2016 11:21

genome Remember the tail end of last season where the most common complaint was that the team lacked identity? The most pleasant change for me, is that the team has one.

Good Point. Now all we have to do is get the fans to drop in with it!

George_

by George_ » 19 Sep 2016 11:30

Think the big point is (and i know you can't look at the table to much early in the season) but we've only played 2 of the bottom half so far & beat them both. We've already played 4 of the top 7 and got a respectable 5 points from those 4 games.

IMO this team will only get better with more time and games. Don't think we'll get top 6 this season, but i think after 2 more transfer windows this team could be ready to push for promotion next season. This season is about finding the teams identity, playing in a new system and getting momentum and the winning feeling back ready to take into next season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2016 11:35

Snowball
tidus_mi2 I'm optimistic but I refuse to get carried away, we were 2nd in early October of last season and pretty much singing the praises of the squad like we are now, a lot can change.

I think there are massive differences and there are reasons to be optimistic.

1. This is a real manager with definite ideas.

2. The team is IMPROVING steadily, not a flash in the pan side.

3. We are not reliant on one striker (Blackman) having a purple patch.

4. Team spirit is massively better.

5. We are showing guts, drive determination with late goals, playing with ten men etc

6. We have had a tough start and played a lot of the top sides

Burnley away and Boro at home not tough? I would tend to agree though that there seems to be a more solid togetherness about the squad, even if it's only perceptions.

I'm not getting carried away based purely on the fact that it's one good performance. Just as good teams occasionally play badly, bad teams occasionally play well.

I'm not saying we are a bad team but we need to consistently put in solid performances and show signs of continued improvement, which we have done for the most part, until then, jury is still out.

Definite grounds for optimism though.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 19 Sep 2016 11:42

I didn't go so I can't add too much to the thread, but my Dad went, and he spoke to GMac in the car park after the game and asked him about the incident. GMac said the Barnsley lad was hurling all sorts of obscenities at Williams whilst he was on the floor calling him a c**t amongst others, and GMac admitted he saw the red mist and lost it and so went in to look after his mate. GMac thought the red was a bit harsh, and could understand why he got it, but thought a yellow would have been more appropriate in the circumstances.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Sep 2016 11:54

Brum Royal I didn't go so I can't add too much to the thread, but my Dad went, and he spoke to GMac in the car park after the game and asked him about the incident. GMac said the Barnsley lad was hurling all sorts of obscenities at Williams whilst he was on the floor calling him a c**t amongst others, and GMac admitted he saw the red mist and lost it and so went in to look after his mate. GMac thought the red was a bit harsh, and could understand why he got it, but thought a yellow would have been more appropriate in the circumstances.

Completely agree about the red card, I checked on the Barnsley forum and they've been reading our reactions, basically saying we're crazy to think it's not a red.

Thing is I don't think I ever see pushes get a red card, sure Garath's looked worse because the guy was crouched down and couldn't stabilise himself but why should it be treated differently to a weak little shove? The types of which happen in every match. You don't see players get punished differently for the extent of how they punch another person, a punch no matter the strength behind it is a red card offence, similarly a shove, regardless of intensity should either warrant a red card or some lesser offence.