BFTG - Arsenal (a)

121 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Arsenal (a)

by bcubed » 26 Oct 2016 22:16

biff Literally nothing to enjoy about the whole experience yesterday. Travel, stadium, atmosphere, performance, prices, travel back again. Insipid again (work in progress or not, theyre professionals who should be able to adapt to changes in style a little faster than they have), and a 2nd rate Arsenal weren't tested at all. Samuel looks pacey but the 4-3-3 style doesnt suit the players we currently have. Watson did enough to keep his place IMO, offers an extra dimension that Gunter hasnt for a while/ever.

Meeting Jobi a highlight. A player from a better time, with lovely eyes.

That really makes me feel it was a good decision not to bother going for a change
Apart from the meeting Jobi (and his eyes!) bit

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Oct 2016 22:56

It is amazing that we're 8th, Ian. Not quite as amazing as our ascent to 2nd last season though.

Let's see how the (over) passing game goes during the winter when the weather gets colder and the pitches get heavier.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 Oct 2016 11:32

Jagermesiter1871
No Fixed Abode
paultheroyal Just focus on the ticket price Kes... travel is paid the same wherever you go....

If you ever get into a European Cup competition, I'm sure you'll travel away to CSKA Moscow if the ticket price is only £10. After all, travel is paid the same wherever you go. The few hundred quid for flights and accommodation is neither here nor there. :lol:

So are you saying the £20 return to London is actually one of the cheapest away days, so when you factor it in, makes Arsenal away even more fanciable prospect? Lost what your point is here.

When most 'normal' people budget a game they take into account the travel cost too. All except you, Paultheroyal and Schards so it seems.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Oct 2016 11:41

No Fixed Abode
Jagermesiter1871
No Fixed Abode
If you ever get into a European Cup competition, I'm sure you'll travel away to CSKA Moscow if the ticket price is only £10. After all, travel is paid the same wherever you go. The few hundred quid for flights and accommodation is neither here nor there. :lol:

So are you saying the £20 return to London is actually one of the cheapest away days, so when you factor it in, makes Arsenal away even more fanciable prospect? Lost what your point is here.

When most 'normal' people budget a game they take into account the travel cost too. All except you, Paultheroyal and Schards so it seems.

No I do budget it in. Which is exactly why saying it was only £10 is probably underselling how cheap it is as it's probably the cheapest away day there is as a Reading fan, when you include travel.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 27 Oct 2016 12:00

So you do understand my point. 8)

Plus it was on a Tuesday night and many would have at least taken the afternoon off work.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Oct 2016 12:13

Please don't quote No Fixed Brain.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 27 Oct 2016 12:39

I enjoyed the game on Tuesday night. Thought we gave a good account of ourselves, the result was about right although we could have perhaps nicked a goal along the way.

One thing I thought it did show was how Jaap's style of play would work if we got into the Prem with a little bit more time and space on the ball, it looked reasonably effective. The two main caveats to that are that 1. we're not in the Prem (obviously) and 2. I didn't think Arsenal pressed and harried us anywhere near as much as say Villa did last Tuesday.

The potential is certainly there for the passing game to work, and it has done on a number of occasions, but we just need to get the balance right between when to go short and when to go long, but also raising the confidence and the speed of play to counter the less time afforded to us in the Champo.

And unlike most on here, our main travel issue was the road bridge closure on the Holloway Road which added a lot of time on getting down.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 Oct 2016 13:17

SCIAG
Green
SCIAG Non-match stuff: travel was an absolute nightmare, much harder than the Madejski. If I ever go to an evening match at the Emirates again then I'll probably walk once I get to the Victoria line.

Bit :shock: at that I thought it was a doddle. Two tube lines and the Overground vs queuing for shuttle buses :?:

Two hours on a packed train down to Waterloo, packed tubes, then I had to get off at King's Cross because they were skipping Highbury and Islington. I couldn't get on the next tube. I got on the next one after that, but then they announced it wasn't stopping there either. Couldn't get on the next three, and then finally got on one going the right way and stopping at the right station.

Once I got there it took over fifteen minutes to get out of the tube station and then another ten to get to the stadium. All in all, I could have walked from my house to the Madejski in the time it took me to get from Waterloo to the stadium, and I don't think it would have been much longer to walk from Waterloo (although of course I've never tried it). Walking from King's Cross would have taken about as long and been much more pleasant.

The trains into London were unfortunate. As for the tube - if you wanted tips you could've come to me. I realise the horse has bolted here but for next time - avoid changing at Kings X, get the Piccadilly rather than the Vic, or just stay on until Finsbury Park and walk from there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Oct 2016 13:38

overground from Finsbury Park to KX worked like a treat on the way back. Would do it on the way as well if there is ever to be a next time

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 27 Oct 2016 21:21

Decent selection of highlights about on YouTube which obviously gives a clearer idea of certain events compared to right behind the goal

Evans missed a pretty good chance from a corner just before half time, apart from that we didn't really have any

Given we're using goal-line technology to say whether the ball crosses the line or not, can't we use goal-line technology to say whether the ball crossed that line or not?

Either way, their centre-back made Joey and Blackett look pretty amateur

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2016 22:24

I thought it looked easily out to start, but then on replays and given the angle, I think I have to trust the officials got it right and the whole of the ball didn't cross the line. It was certainly close, and the lino could have come to our aid, but ultimately it didn't matter, so meh.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Oct 2016 07:46

Ian Royal I thought it looked easily out to start, but then on replays and given the angle, I think I have to trust the officials got it right and the whole of the ball didn't cross the line. It was certainly close, and the lino could have come to our aid, but ultimately it didn't matter, so meh.

Didn't know they did replays on the radio :twisted:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 28 Oct 2016 10:20

sandman Please don't quote No Fixed Brain.

Good to see biff agreeing with me. And not just biff, but also quite a few other Reading fans I know. They were disappointed with the team Stam put out considering the time, travel and expense it took to get to Arsenal.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Oct 2016 12:19

No Fixed Abode

Good to see biff agreeing with me. And not just biff, but also quite a few other Reading fans I know. They were disappointed with the team Stam put out considering the time, travel and expense it took to get to Arsenal.

I wasn't too fussed, I was happy to see Liam Kelly, Callum Harriot and Dom Samuel get a run out, as fate would have it, Gunter's suspension gave Tennai Watson a chance as well.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Oct 2016 12:55

No Fixed Abode

Do ANY managers pick their teams based on the train fare between their home ground and the one being used ?
Seems an utterly bizarre concept.
Stam is 100% right to pick his sides to suit his needs. His selection for the Arsenal game in no way shortchanged anyone. Given the inclusion of Watson was enforced, Samuel reflected much public demand as did Harriott and Kelly was in the previous starting line up it's hard to see why someone with no interest is making a fuss about it !

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Oct 2016 13:43

No Fixed Abode

Arsenal is one of the cheapest and easiest away days though. Ignoring the stupidity of your argument, it still doesn't make any sense for this simple fact.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2016 17:12

Bit late to the party but here is my take.

Sat in the north block with an arsenal supporting mate and could barely hear us. Another friend sitting to the left of the away fans said the same thing. Arsenal fans are shocking and I concur with previous observations. One top-knot vvanker in front of me was on his phone and being the nosy prick I am I saw him text someone saying "somehow been dragged along to watch a football match" or something to that affect.

Thought we played well in patches in the first half but missed that final ball and extra bit of quality. Ultimately we were let down by our own mistakes at the back which was a shame though. Thought Granberch substitution was extremely strange. Happy with Watson and I'd see him start over Gunter in the league.

We also walked directly to Fins tube which we had to queue to get into, but it was relatively quiet once beyond the barriers and got a seat easily before the masses got on at Arsenal. Funnily enough there was an older guy standing in front of me, I would have offered him my seat but he was wearing a jacket with a Swindon badge on it so I decided against it.

Not in a hurry to go back to the Emirates.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Oct 2016 19:04

L8 to the party here, had a top day out but shame we bottled it and didn't go for it on the pitch.

Gr8 atmosphere too, really aided by the excellent chants of "No crisis, you know - cos we've got Al-Habsi in goal" - keep up the gr8 work Ali!

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Oct 2016 19:27

Big Foot L8 to the party here, had a top day out but shame we bottled it and didn't go for it on the pitch.

Gr8 atmosphere too, really aided by the excellent chants of "No crisis, you know - cos we've got Al-Habsi in goal" - keep up the gr8 work Ali!

...could this have been misconstrued as ISIS/No Crisis?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Oct 2016 19:28

Jagermesiter1871
Big Foot L8 to the party here, had a top day out but shame we bottled it and didn't go for it on the pitch.

...could this have been misconstrued as ISIS/No Crisis?

Stranger things have happened, the Emirates might be a gr8 arena but I have to say that the acoustics there weren't the best for chants carrying. That and the electric atmosphere.

121 posts