Why are we so quiet?

quickwingerswife

Re: Why are we so quiet?

by quickwingerswife » 01 Mar 2017 21:16

Yeah loads of good comment on original question, thanks. Wolves at home this Saturday and their nasty fans.. I hope we can forget our inhibitions and give their thugs an earfull..

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Mar 2017 22:04

I'm well up for it. I'm going to bring my air horn and really get the atmosphere pumping

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Mar 2017 22:28

bobby1413 I'm well up for it. I'm going to bring my air horn and really get the atmosphere pumping

I'll bring the clappers. Can't wait so excited omgz

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Mar 2017 22:38

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Mar 2017 08:21

quickwingerswife Yeah loads of good comment on original question, thanks. Wolves at home this Saturday and their nasty fans.. I hope we can forget our inhibitions and give their thugs an earfull..

Agreed, I am struggling to think of a bigger dump than Wolverhampton. Whoever lives there I don't know.

I would rather run fully naked down the Oxford Road than live in Wolverhampton.

Hope we stuff them as I don't like their club and can't stand Wolves fans.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

quickwingerswife Yeah loads of good comment on original question, thanks. Wolves at home this Saturday and their nasty fans.. I hope we can forget our inhibitions and give their thugs an earfull..

Agreed, I am struggling to think of a bigger dump than Wolverhampton. Whoever lives there I don't know.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

Agreed, I am struggling to think of a bigger dump than Wolverhampton that I've been to. Why anyone wants to live there I don't know.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 02 Mar 2017 08:51

Gunny Fishcake We are quiet at home, I think the type of football we're playing at present doesn't stir the loins and generate excitement , remember those days when Gilksy got the ball on the wing at Elm Park and embarked on one of those blistering runs....now that was noise. We can make a racket particularly away games , who'll ever forget that night against Southampton at their place 13/4/12 when we won 3-1 , amazing support that night

Totally agree. Although we are doing better than expected the style of play does not get you off your seat. If you look at Brighton thats the way we used to play with fast wingers and hit teams on the break. You only raise the atmosphere when you are attacking but our style is so slow that the only time you get excited is if the ball goes in

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Mar 2017 09:31

Agreed, I am struggling to think of a bigger dump than Wolverhampton that I've been to. Why anyone wants to live there I don't know.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 02 Mar 2017 12:13

Majority of our fans started following us since we have been at the all seater, song sheet handing out, rumblestick-tastic spaccerdome and therefore this is their entire football experience, as far as they are aware this is how everyone watches football.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 02 Mar 2017 13:27

I've always thought one of the best away ends for noise was Ninian Park because:

1. Seats at the front, terrace behind. Never an issue with not being able to see, people who wanted to sit could sit and people who wanted to stand could look over the top of them.
2. A terrace, it always makes for a better atmosphere.
3. A low roof, the accoustics of a low roof just help the sound bounce around more and everyone can hear what someone is trying to start and join in with it. Nowadays with the high roofed stands, individual voices can get lost and not heard so easily, that's why there's better noise towards the back of the stand where you're closer to the roof.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 Mar 2017 14:34

Winston Smith Majority of our fans started following us since we have been at the all seater, song sheet handing out, rumblestick-tastic spaccerdome and therefore this is their entire football experience, as far as they are aware this is how everyone watches football.

Very good point. This all seems normal to most.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Mar 2017 01:46

Winston Smith Majority of our fans started following us since we have been at the all seater, song sheet handing out, rumblestick-tastic spaccerdome and therefore this is their entire football experience, as far as they are aware this is how everyone watches football.

I never followed Reading at Elm Park but I don't think like that because I'm not a div.

I'm sorry but the crowd is half of what makes football, if you want to sit and watch something in silence go to the opera, cinema, or cuckold your wife.

Yeah yeah blah blah I'm an asshole... etc etc

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Mar 2017 06:11

Scrap the shit way it is before kick off.
Get the players out 10 or 15 mins before to warm up, stay on the pitch.
Mascots, captains go get one to toss the coin with the ref.
All this lining up handshaking shit, thats for cup finals, not dross league games.
Parky or Murty running out to fire up the support would not be allowed today.
And the hardcore are shit in a corner, was same at EP, either behind a goal or halway line.
I would say FACT, but i may be wrong.
We dont play towards fans, in either half.
Maybe time to look at being the club that tests safe.standing

lewesroyal

by lewesroyal » 03 Mar 2017 08:21

Harpers So Solid Crew We dont play towards fans, in either half.

I've always found this odd that our "hardcore/noisy" group are right next to the oppo, not behind a goal as it is in a lot of the older traditional grounds. Are you there to support the team or just shout pointless obsenities at people you don't know? I'd have thought that the Dolan stand would be our loudest part trying to propel the team on/draw the ball in

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Mar 2017 09:40

Safe Standing... I'm fairly sure the club previously were asked and said they had no objections but the seating was deemed to be "too steep" to be within the criteria for safe standing to be installed.

I agree about the sh1t around the game. I utterly despise the cnut DJ Mega Party and the sooner he goes the better.

Apparently the players chose Sweet Caroline and that's why it's there. If that's true I accept that, but again, it's a song I don't like in any scenario and at the football it's got no place in my view. I'd rather have Tom Hark (that's how bad it is).

The club are moving in the right direction with the outside drinking options - making the most of a bad location.

No idea how this would be done but maybe we could move:

Y24-Y26 into the South Stand
And the away section in their place

Many clubs have this style of setup

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 03 Mar 2017 19:02

Pretty much in agreement with everything that's been said, also think unreserved seating for any standing section we may implement in the future would be crucial as well, it'd definetely help erode the clinical feeling of being sat in the same seat every week. As well as getting sufficient numbers of standing fans behind a goal, I still believe the Eamonn Dolan stand is a fantastic fit for a standing area, get our fans out of the corner.
As long as MegaParty is there it's going to put a downer on my own mood at the start of every half, as well as the still overt family parafenalia on matchdays, the fun zone etc. In particular I think this year's relative quiet even compared to past successful seasons has come about as a result of a very poor few years, and the longer term impact of neglecting fans who want to go to football matches for the atmosphere and not for selfies with Queensley...
Hopefully in the long run, the more visible efforts from the club to engage fans will improve matchday atmosphere, as long as drives for safe standing, cheaper tickets etc. keep going. Much more can be done.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 03 Mar 2017 19:06

RoyalCrisp Pretty much in agreement with everything that's been said, also think unreserved seating for any standing section we may implement in the future would be crucial as well, it'd definetely help erode the clinical feeling of being sat in the same seat every week. As well as getting sufficient numbers of standing fans behind a goal, I still believe the Eamonn Dolan stand is a fantastic fit for a standing area, get our fans out of the corner.
As long as MegaParty is there it's going to put a downer on my own mood at the start of every half, as well as the still overt family parafenalia on matchdays, the fun zone etc. In particular I think this year's relative quiet even compared to past successful seasons has come about as a result of a very poor few years, and the longer term impact of neglecting fans who want to go to football matches for the atmosphere and not for selfies with Queensley...
Hopefully in the long run, the more visible efforts from the club to engage fans will improve matchday atmosphere, as long as drives for safe standing, cheaper tickets etc. keep going. Much more can be done.

I'd agree there.

This is a family club and I don't mind that. I don;t mind the "family zone", or Kingsley or Queensley. But I do mind the farking MegaParty cnut and the shoving it down the throat of EVERYONE.

Give the family and kids the attention off to one side, but there has to be a compromise

At present it's on the wrong side of compromise and it's just sucking all energy and atmosphere from the fans who potenttially will be loud and will be vocal

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Mar 2017 14:02

lewesroyal
Top Flight That's because no one caters anymore for the fans that want to stand up and sing. Everyone has to sit down and shut up. No foul or abuse language allowed.

And I agree, there should be no foul and abusive language. You're in a public place. Say the same things in the street within earshot of a copper and you'd be arrested. People should maybe try acting like adults. Please cheer and encourage, I know i do but I get fed up with the "It's what we've always done" excuses for behaving like morons

Nothing wrong with swearing.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Mar 2017 10:05

After the behaviour of the stewards yesterday the only conclusion I can draw is that the club don't want an atmosphere. They were actively working to snuff out any atmosphere. Since when did standing up become a crime and chanting football songs at a football match? It was very depressing to witness the behaviour of the stewards yesterday. Football has to be for everyone. Not just for families. I am saying that and I go and watch Reading as a family with my 7 year old boy and the grandad. For me it is a family occassion. But I don't like seeing all the noise and atmosphere extinguished from the stands by over zealous, lack of common sense stewarding. You can not sing when sitting down. You have to stand up to sing. That's why a choir stands up when it is time to sing a hymn in a church.

The enjoyment of football at Reading is being ruined because, what, because the club want to make it appeal to families? Well, I'm a family and football is getting less appealing every week. We are flying in the league and these are the worst crowds and atmosphere I can ever remember at Madejski Stadium since the place opened.

It is especially dissapointing because the East Stand, Y25 and Y26 were giving a good account of themselves yesterday and were outsinging Wolverhampton Wanderers until the stewards got involved and extinguished the noise. Then what do I hear from the Wolves end. They sing: This is a library. This is a library. This is a library etc.... My club is becoming passionless and soulless.

RFC, you've become a joke.