Rival Watch

17461 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by andrew1957 » 04 Feb 2021 13:18

paultheroyal
andrew1957 I have just noticed something. Over the last 5 game rounds the top 8 sides have won 20 games between them, the middle 8 sides just 6 games and the bottom 8 have won 20 games between them. And so the bottom 8 sides are performing almost as well as the top 8 sides.

What a topsy turvy division the Championship is. There could be some very odd results in the last 20 games if the bottom sides keep winning. As for relegation almost anyone below about 10th place currently could go down - along with Wycombe who already look doomed.

It is likely to be quite a dramatic end to the season.

I can see quite a lot of points needed this year to stay up - Cardiff and Millwall will be looking over their shoulders

I can see both Rotherham and Sheffield getting out of the zone. I think Brum will go down but not sure who else.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Feb 2021 13:26

definitely set for an exciting end to the season

Rotherham on great form, Derby, Forest, Sheff Weds all picking up decent results and points

8 points between 23rd and Luton in 13th, with those in 23rd and 22nd picking up points at a good rate

Could easily see a couple of big names drop - think Millwall have enough in the locker but Birmingham very dodgy. Likes of Cardiff and Huddersfield have to turn things round v quickly or could be right down there
Last edited by Hound on 04 Feb 2021 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 04 Feb 2021 13:29

for all of Brentford's attacking prowess, they do look suspect at the back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 13:36

Hound other way to look at Brentford is they have had a 19 game unbeaten run, and still well within reach. Quite possible they'll have a blip pretty soon, esp with a number of fixtures to play.

Certainly pleased to be seeing all the upper mid table teams constantly stumbling over themselves. Beat Stoke, and they won't catch us bar a complete turnaround. Its a big gap already from us to Bristol and Boro. Blackburn do now look to be the one to keep an eye on. They've a generally unchallenging looking February but their March is an absolute brute.

Bit of gamblers fallacy going on there eh?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 13:39

andrew1957
paultheroyal
andrew1957 I have just noticed something. Over the last 5 game rounds the top 8 sides have won 20 games between them, the middle 8 sides just 6 games and the bottom 8 have won 20 games between them. And so the bottom 8 sides are performing almost as well as the top 8 sides.

What a topsy turvy division the Championship is. There could be some very odd results in the last 20 games if the bottom sides keep winning. As for relegation almost anyone below about 10th place currently could go down - along with Wycombe who already look doomed.

It is likely to be quite a dramatic end to the season.

I can see quite a lot of points needed this year to stay up - Cardiff and Millwall will be looking over their shoulders

I can see both Rotherham and Sheffield getting out of the zone. I think Brum will go down but not sure who else.

Every year someone on here predicts Brum to go down and they never do.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 13:40

WoodleyRoyal for all of Brentford's attacking prowess, they do look suspect at the back.

No more suspect than the other attacking sides tbf. A lot of people say we look suspect at the back and Blackburn look ready to ship comical goals every game.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Feb 2021 14:07

bcubed
South Coast Royal
Stranded
If we continue to win at the current rate throughout the remainder of the season, we'll win another 11 games - that'll give us 80 points. So we could theoretically lose 9 and still make the play-offs comfortably. Even a W9 D5 L6 and get to 79 - which'll likely be good enough for 4th.

Given that our games don't seem to end as draws this year, a total of 4 or 5 losses, could even see us hit top 2 - W12 D4 L4 for example, gets us to 87.

The only downside to that is "Do we want to get promoted with a side that has lost so many games?"
I do take your point though as it would take title-winning form for the likes of Blackburn , Stoke or 'Boro to get near the top places and for those already in the top 6 to fall away drastically for us not to make the top 6.

It's not going to happen-prepare for play-offs or better. :D ,

Not sure if that’s tongue in cheek, but the simple answer is yes we do want to get promoted whenever we have the opportunity. You simply can’t pick and choose

I have mixed feelings about promotion "whenever we have the opportunity"

The first time we went up we had a Premiership team in waiting, shown by where we finished.
The second time we were just about the best of a moderate bunch and the relegation season was a nightmare.

If we had gone up instead of Huddersfield it would probably have been a case of coming straight back down.

If we go up I hope it will be on the back of a very strong finish to the season and looking like a team that could well survive and perhaps do a bit more than that.
What will be, will be though and we take what we are given.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Feb 2021 14:14

NewCorkSeth
Hound other way to look at Brentford is they have had a 19 game unbeaten run, and still well within reach. Quite possible they'll have a blip pretty soon, esp with a number of fixtures to play.

Certainly pleased to be seeing all the upper mid table teams constantly stumbling over themselves. Beat Stoke, and they won't catch us bar a complete turnaround. Its a big gap already from us to Bristol and Boro. Blackburn do now look to be the one to keep an eye on. They've a generally unchallenging looking February but their March is an absolute brute.

Bit of gamblers fallacy going on there eh?

yeah its bollox obviously. Just trying to convince myself Brentford aren't on their way up...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Feb 2021 14:15

South Coast Royal
bcubed
South Coast Royal
The only downside to that is "Do we want to get promoted with a side that has lost so many games?"
I do take your point though as it would take title-winning form for the likes of Blackburn , Stoke or 'Boro to get near the top places and for those already in the top 6 to fall away drastically for us not to make the top 6.

It's not going to happen-prepare for play-offs or better. :D ,

Not sure if that’s tongue in cheek, but the simple answer is yes we do want to get promoted whenever we have the opportunity. You simply can’t pick and choose

The first time we went up we had a Premiership team in waiting, shown by where we finished.
The second time we were just about the best of a moderate bunch and the relegation season was a nightmare.

If we had gone up instead of Huddersfield it would probably have been a case of coming straight back down.

If we go up I hope it will be on the back of a very strong finish to the season and looking like a team that could well survive and perhaps do a bit more than that.

I'm not sure that could have been much worse than what happened to us after we stayed down mind you

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Feb 2021 14:42

Hound
South Coast Royal
bcubed Not sure if that’s tongue in cheek, but the simple answer is yes we do want to get promoted whenever we have the opportunity. You simply can’t pick and choose

I'm not sure that could have been much worse than what happened to us after we stayed down mind you

True enough

Could we have been contenders for
Worst points record in Prem?

Maybe but we'd have collected some decent money to rebuild and try again

And like you say the last few years can't have been much worse

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Feb 2021 14:45

bcubed
Hound
South Coast Royal

True enough

Most possession in our own half :D

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Feb 2021 14:45

Always impossible to know what might have been, as much as it is knowing what might be however I do think if we had gone up under stam it could have been a very torrid season ending in relegation.

At times this season, esp first half vs Bournemouth I do get a little bit of an 05/06 season feeling, obv not as good and consistent, nor having as much depth but something feels right this season under Pauno and with all of the team buying into it

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 14:47

bcubed
Hound
South Coast Royal

True enough

Would take some doing to beat Stokes record.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Feb 2021 15:18

bcubed
Hound
South Coast Royal

True enough

Huddersfield were just as poor as us and they managed to stay up in their first season. With the right recruitment we could've given ourselves a chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 15:29

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Hound

True enough

Huddersfield were just as poor as us and they managed to stay up in their first season. With the right recruitment we could've given ourselves a chance.

Exactly, it is impossible to say. We could've recruited really well and give ourselves half a chance, plus players who seemed to decline the following year might've actually stepped up whilst playing on a bigger stage.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2021 15:29

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Hound

True enough

There is a key phrase in there you glossed over..

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Feb 2021 15:43

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
Hound

True enough

I did say "probably" so might well have written " a possibility" but obviously none of us know what would have happened.
If Joey and Gunter had still been starters I reckon it would have been "definitely". :wink:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Feb 2021 18:42

SouthDownsRoyal Always impossible to know what might have been, as much as it is knowing what might be however I do think if we had gone up under stam it could have been a very torrid season ending in relegation.

At times this season, esp first half vs Bournemouth I do get a little bit of an 05/06 season feeling, obv not as good and consistent, nor having as much depth but something feels right this season under Pauno and with all of the team buying into it

i don't we had that much depth quality wise in 05/06 if I'm honest - if you look at the games missed by key players we had a very good run with injuries aside from a couple of weeks around when we beat Sheffield at home

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Feb 2021 18:44

NewCorkSeth
bcubed
Hound

True enough

Would take some doing to beat Stokes record.

What record have Stoke got ?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Feb 2021 18:53

Weren’t the Thais in charge when we lost to Hudds? Weren’t they skint, stripped us of the land round the stadium and buggered off? Just like that oxf*rd Zingarevic, it wouldn’t have ended pretty.

17461 posts