Next Reading Manager

969 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Reading Manager

by paultheroyal » 03 May 2022 13:51

Ince deserves the role - but i feel he will walk away - combination of constraints and not able to get the deal his son could command elsewhere....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Reading Manage r

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 13:59

paultheroyal Ince deserves the role - but i feel he will walk away - combination of constraints and not able to get the deal his son could command elsewhere....

ANd I kind of W order whether that might not be a good result all round.
He can walk away on good terms, having done the job we asked and with his reputation restored and probably better employment options.
We have a freer choice of where we go next, rather than just appointing the bloke who sort of fell into the job by accident with no apparent selction process involved.
I wouldn’t be distraught if he stayed but at the same time the job from here is totally different to the one he’s done so far.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 May 2022 14:01

Nameless
paultheroyal Ince deserves the role - but i feel he will walk away - combination of constraints and not able to get the deal his son could command elsewhere....

He can walk away on good terms, having done the job we asked and with his reputation restored and probably better employment options.
We have a freer choice of where we go next, rather than just appointing the bloke who sort of fell into the job by accident with no apparent selction process involved.
I wouldn’t be distraught if he stayed but at the same time the job from here is totally different to the one he’s done so far.

Yeah agreed. If we do have to appoint again, just get someone in we know, who has had success or building a team from scratch. Not the top rated manager from the Moldovan Leagues etc.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 14:17

paultheroyal
Nameless

Yeah agreed. If we do have to appoint again, just get someone in we know, who has had success or building a team from scratch. Not the top rated manager from the Moldovan Leagues etc.

Although that would rule out someone like Carrick, who really appeals.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 May 2022 14:21

paultheroyal
Nameless

I don't mind an unknown quantity, the only problem I've got as a fan is I can't trust that the club will appoint the correct manager. It's not that it can't work, there are various examples of overseas managers that can work in the Championship, it's just that their philosophy has to work in this division.

It's kind of why I didn't mind Pauno when first appointed. Yes, his record at Chicago wasn't great, but neither were the team themselves and his philosophy of having a decent brand of football and being able to develop youth players is something that I'd hope would have suited us quite well and, for a time, it did.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 03 May 2022 14:53

Yeah, there did seem to be some logic to Paunovic's appointment. While I think a lot of fans were right to be sceptical, especially given his lacklustre record in the US, I can see why the club thought that he might be a good fit.

To an extent you could possibly also say similar things for Stam, Clement and Bowen as well - none appear like stellar candidates, but I can see why the club might have been sold on them. The one which makes the least sense is Gomes, there was really nothing in his record to suggest that he'd be suitable.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 May 2022 15:00

Nameless

I am in a similar boat, if Ince stays I'll be happy enough but if (or he) decide to go another route, also fine - even if it suggests we are going even further in with Kia.

My only concern is how quickly this happens - we need to know who the manager is by the end of the month latest, as given most players will be on holiday through May, nothing much will happen transfer wise until June but he has to be in by then - I would even target a new manager being announced as part of the celebration game on the 21st. If Ince goes, we simply cannot waste the summer recruiting a manager,

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 May 2022 15:33

Stranded
Nameless

I am in a similar boat, if Ince stays I'll be happy enough but if (or he) decide to go another route, also fine - even if it suggests we are going even further in with Kia.

My only concern is how quickly this happens - we need to know who the manager is by the end of the month latest, as given most players will be on holiday through May, nothing much will happen transfer wise until June but he has to be in by then - I would even target a new manager being announced as part of the celebration game on the 21st. If Ince goes, we simply cannot waste the summer recruiting a manager,

Ince has said he is meeting the owner in the next week.
I’d imagine that will be a conclusive meeting one way for the other. I don’t see Ince as begging for the job, if it suits him he’ll take it. Likewise I can’t see Dai begging him to take it, but if Ince wasn’t interested in the job and Dai didn’t think Ince is the man then they’d not be wasting time meeting. They both have an easy and honourable out - job done, thankyou very much, you’ll be welcome any time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2022 15:34

Nameless
Snowflake Royal Yes in what is now sadly ancient history when we were a different club under Madejski, we used to appoint well and mostly with success. All a good 10 years ago.

Now we're known for appointing a new manager with limited experience, who fails, about once a year.

Average tenure of a manager in the Championship ?
374 days.
So we change managers about as often as average.
It’s a crazily short time, but we don’t seem to be an outlier.

Didn't say we were. Doesn't mean anyone should be happy with it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 May 2022 15:37

Ince was a weird appointment in the first place - not sure how it happened

If we knew that it might give us an insight into if he likely to stay or not

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2022 15:37

I wasn't as negative towards Ince as others on appointment as his record at clubs in a crisis was decent but yeah, if he stays, I'm reasonably happy, if he goes, I won't be blockading the carpark. He's a safe option. We can do better but we could do a lot worse. Makes me think he would be a good choice for next season, sorting out the basics but I don't see any great leaps forward henceforth.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 May 2022 16:08

Ince has sounded quite positive about the posibility of staying, which indicates that he is - at the very least - open to the idea; if he definitely WASN'T going to stay, he would have given some hints to that effect (looking at his interviews I don't see a lot of Pardewesque subterfuge; with Ince what you see - and hear - is what you get).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 May 2022 17:01

YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT
YorkshireRoyal99 We've got somewhat of a reputation of giving ex-players or managers with no previous experience a chance. Most of them have been relatively successful as well in fairness.

Not under this owner we haven't, so that means nothing I'm afraid.

Bowen was relatively successful in his time in charge.

'Relatively' being the operative word. When compared to some of the other misery we've had to endure (which wasn't always entirely down to the guy in post at the time).

And that 'relative success' came at a price - some of the most boring, unexciting, negative football I've had to endure in return for relatively (compared to Stam's record) few points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2022 17:55

RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT
Not under this owner we haven't, so that means nothing I'm afraid.

'Relatively' being the operative word. When compared to some of the other misery we've had to endure (which wasn't always entirely down to the guy in post at the time).

And that 'relative success' came at a price - some of the most boring, unexciting, negative football I've had to endure in return for relatively (compared to Stam's record) few points.

The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

Or in other words, better.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 May 2022 10:02

Sounds like most are quite indifferent about Ince staying or not, I find myself in the same boat.

Can’t get excited at him staying yet wouldn’t be angry if he left.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 04 May 2022 15:43

The indifference and apathy I'm reading and hearing is very worrying. This is our football team, surely we should give a shiny sh@te?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 May 2022 15:54

I'd rather be apathetic with an appointment than angry.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 May 2022 18:17

Hendo I'd rather be apathetic with an appointment than angry.

Whereas Eaststandman is getting angry about the apathy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2022 18:19

Eaststandman The indifference and apathy I'm reading and hearing is very worrying. This is our football team, surely we should give a shiny sh@te?

We're just showing the same level of care in who is appointed as the club do.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 May 2022 20:10

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
YorkshireRoyal99

The football was less gormless than Gomes, less clueless than Clement and less porous than Pauno beyond about Xmas 2020.

Or in other words, better.

Don't agree...the football from day one was turgid, I'll give you Clement maybe.

And when we were safe he couldn't motivate the players who downed tools and it wasn't 2 games like Ince it was at least half a dozen

Been amazing at Wimbledon too...not even a new manager bounce of one game....

969 posts