(Bad) memories of that game in 1995

Branfoot Out

Re: (Bad) memories of that game in 1995

by Branfoot Out » 23 Feb 2023 11:26

Still the worst I've ever felt after a game - have still never watched the game back either. The football played from 93 - 95 was brilliant and that team deserved it's shot in the Prem. Would have been great for Elm Park to have it's season in the sun too!

So many great performances that year but the 3-1 Tranmere away play off stands out, getting clapped off the pitch by the home fans at the end. The best time to have a season ticket and do most of the aways too - it just needed a happy ending...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2023 11:33

Branfoot Out Would have been great for Elm Park to have it's season in the sun too!

Almost certainly that wouldn't have happened. I think the most likely thing, as reported at the time, was ground-sharing with QPR, which would have been simply horrible and might have ended up with us losing Elm Park with no home to return to after the inevitable relegation.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 23 Feb 2023 11:48

Dirk Gently
Branfoot Out Would have been great for Elm Park to have it's season in the sun too!

Almost certainly that wouldn't have happened. I think the most likely thing, as reported at the time, was ground-sharing with QPR, which would have been simply horrible and might have ended up with us losing Elm Park with no home to return to after the inevitable relegation.

Thought newly promoted clubs to the Prem had a 3 year grace period to replace standing with seats under the Taylor report so wouldn't Elm Park have been ok to use?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2023 11:53

Branfoot Out
Dirk Gently

Thought newly promoted clubs to the Prem had a 3 year grace period to replace standing with seats under the Taylor report so wouldn't Elm Park have been ok to use?

This wasn't to do with all-seater requirements - this was more to do with the overall state of the ground, I think, including its capacity of around 13,000. There were 13323 at the Bolton league game and the place was stretched to the limits. ISTR TVP were very unhappy with the idea of sold-out PL games all season in such a small ground.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Feb 2023 11:55

Branfoot Out Still the worst I've ever felt after a game - have still never watched the game back either. The football played from 93 - 95 was brilliant and that team deserved it's shot in the Prem. Would have been great for Elm Park to have it's season in the sun too!

So many great performances that year but the 3-1 Tranmere away play off stands out, getting clapped off the pitch by the home fans at the end. The best time to have a season ticket and do most of the aways too - it just needed a happy ending...

Two of our best ever away performances IMHO at Tranmere and winning 4-0 at Blackpool that time.
One of the craziest was the 6-4 at Exeter when we were so good in the attacking sense that we could easily have scored 11 or 12 that day.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 23 Feb 2023 11:58

Dirk Gently
This wasn't to do with all-seater requirements - this was more to do with the overall state of the ground, I think, including its capacity of around 13,000. There were 13323 at the Bolton league game and the place was stretched to the limits. ISTR TVP were very unhappy with the idea of sold-out PL games all season in such a small ground.
[/quote][/quote]

Ah, ok - that makes sense. That Bolton game was mental..

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 23 Feb 2023 12:00

South Coast Royal
Branfoot Out Still the worst I've ever felt after a game - have still never watched the game back either. The football played from 93 - 95 was brilliant and that team deserved it's shot in the Prem. Would have been great for Elm Park to have it's season in the sun too!

Two of our best ever away performances IMHO at Tranmere and winning 4-0 at Blackpool that time.
One of the craziest was the 6-4 at Exeter when we were so good in the attacking sense that we could easily have scored 11 or 12 that day.

Yep, was at Blackpool too. Their fans clapped us off the pitch too!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2023 12:03

Zip Bolton was by far the worst I have felt. We played like a dream ib the first half but the saved pen gave them a lifeline. Was it Koumas who should have seen red? I can't recall

The second half was unbearable as we started dropping deeper. Took months to gey over.

EDIT it was that scrote McAteer.

It was my first game and I was clueless*, so whilst it was sad, I just assumed we'd go up next year.

Walsall was the killer for me. We were the bigger club, with a shiny new stadium, looking to make it back to tier 2 where we were starting to look like we might belong, and potentially building towards the PL. And it was a real gut punch.

Fully expected Swansea to beat us, they were the better side. Similarly, though to a much lesser extent Huddersfield, and then we didn't even turn up and make a game of it... plus we weren't remotely ready to go up anyway. So those were fine.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2023 12:06

Branfoot Out
Dirk Gently
[/quote]

Ah, ok - that makes sense. That Bolton game was mental..[/quote]

I had a season ticket for the South Bank but even with that I couldn't get in because the crush outside the gates was just ridiculous and they didn't save places for STHs.

Branfoot Out

by Branfoot Out » 23 Feb 2023 12:50

Dirk Gently
Branfoot Out
Dirk Gently

I had a season ticket for the South Bank but even with that I couldn't get in because the crush outside the gates was just ridiculous and they didn't save places for STHs.[/quote]

Yeah, I know a few people who had a similar experience. Remember it was a Friday night for some reason and the queues to get in were insane. We has South Bank STs too but thankfully just made it in before they closed the gates. Was some game in the end!

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 23 Feb 2023 14:35

Was chaos around Wembley that day and ended up buying a few cans from an Off License pre-match cos pubs were mental. Even when we missed the penalty there was no way we were gonna lose that game........but, oh :(

Sat in my seat for ages after the final whistle. Inconsolable. I thought that was our one and only chance gone. Never ever watched a reply or the goals or footage or anything. Just the name, Fabian de Freitas, still sends shivers down my spine.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Feb 2023 14:52

Branfoot Out
South Coast Royal

Yep, was at Blackpool too. Their fans clapped us off the pitch too!

Was at all of those. Exeter fairly unique in that 5 players each scored 2 goals…

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Feb 2023 15:31

Nameless Huddersfield is just irrelevant, it was a bit of a non event, never expected to get promoted, didn’t care that we didn’t. We’ve been in the Prem, another visit is of no great consequence.
For me, the Huddersfield final just felt like a day out. I figured we'd struggle next season whether we went up or not and it was Huddersfield, If we beat them it means very little in terms of bragging rights (I'm 100% sure they quite rightly felt the same about us) and I whilst I was unhappy to have lost, I also felt happy for them getting to experience the Premier League.
It was different before we experienced the top flight (twice), and the FA Cup Semi against Arsenal was more exciting as that would have meant something to beat them and we nearly did. In hindsight, the way the final went we would have had a great chance of lifting the FA Cup if we'd made it there.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Feb 2023 15:38

Branfoot Out
Dirk Gently
[/quote]

I'm sure you are correct, but iiirc we had 24 000 at EP v Southampton in around 1978, how did we do that (of course safety standards were non-existent)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Feb 2023 15:43

LUX
Branfoot Out
Dirk Gently

I'm sure you are correct, but iiirc we had 24 000 at EP v Southampton in around 1978, how did we do that (of course safety standards were non-existent)[/quote]

I thought it was 27,500 v Southampton. But 1995 was pre-Hillsborough.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Feb 2023 15:45

I was there.

Frightening how they fitted in more than double the attendance of what you describe as full to bursting

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Feb 2023 17:34

Dirk Gently
LUX
Branfoot Out

I'm sure you are correct, but iiirc we had 24 000 at EP v Southampton in around 1978, how did we do that (of course safety standards were non-existent)[/quote]

I thought it was 27,500 v Southampton. But 1995 was pre-Hillsborough.[/quote]more like 22k iirc, and Hillsboro’ was 1989 (assuming 1995 was a type-o?)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2023 17:43

Zammo Was chaos around Wembley that day and ended up buying a few cans from an Off License pre-match cos pubs were mental. Even when we missed the penalty there was no way we were gonna lose that game........but, oh :(

Sat in my seat for ages after the final whistle. Inconsolable. I thought that was our one and only chance gone. Never ever watched a reply or the goals or footage or anything. Just the name, Fabian de Freitas, still sends shivers down my spine.

oxf*rd handballing pcunt.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Feb 2023 17:44

Dirk Gently
LUX
Branfoot Out

I thought it was 27,500 v Southampton. But 1995 was pre-Hillsborough.[/quote]
Were there there Hillsborough disasters ?
The one I remember was in 1989

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Feb 2023 17:47

Never, ever will I forgive McAteer for not getting sent off.
He’d already been booked, brought Gilkes down as he was preparing to shoot for what should have been his second yellow and proceeded to set up two, if not three of the Bolton goals

But I’m not bitter :evil: :twisted: