RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Ince out!

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2023 16:45

AthleticoSpizz
Ascotexgunner
Kitsondinho Oh, I’m very much Ince out in May…can just see the circus continuing at the club…After all, with what happened to Pauno, Ince will be in until at least Christmas!

I don't want the club giving PInce money in the summer, we should call it a day with him. We need an established manager (just for a change) with a decent track record in the Championship. No more newbies and EFL virgins......a decent manager.
yeah, what’s Colin going to be up to when finished with uddersfield?

Get real….who are these available experienced and decent Championship managers?
That, and who would actually want to move to Reading?

Take the EFL shysters (how else can you explain them allowing the Watford Kamara transfer fiddle, banking them £16M whilst retaining the player & thus avoiding FFP) off our back and it's a decent club with great facilities and an owner clearly prepared to support it financially.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Mar 2023 16:53

Sutekh Ince basically blamed the referee for the result though accepted service into the box was poor.

While I think that’s laughable when you ship 5 and the performance is dire there is some value in his comments and really, though many hate it, as the technology exists VAR needs to be in the Championship next season.

So the pratts locked away in their bunker in Stockley Park can delay games and still come up with equally moronic decisions? No thanks!

Anyway it's time the authorities threw the book at Ince for his repeated attacks on match officials in his post match interviews. I can't stand Stroud and he may have had yet another bad day yesterday but his performance was good compared to that of our players, manager and coaching team. It's time that Ince started looking at issues he can control like his own performance and that of the team, rather than criticising outside parties that he has little influence over.

In criticising referees so much, Ince is likely to see even more decisions go against us; either because refs dislike his attitude or they don't want to be accused of being influenced by his criticisms of officials into giving decisions our way.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2023 17:09

You do know Carrick also backed-up Pinces comments about the non-penalty & non-sending off don’t you?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Mar 2023 15:28

Ince supporter here, still appreciate the father&son team. We won't go down even with the points deduction and even if we did, it wouldn't be unexpected given our situation.

However the magnitude and manner of some of these defeats really is worrying.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Mar 2023 16:14

Do you keep him because he has probably kept us up

Or do you keep him as you see him as the man to take us forward in the coming years

Or both

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 06 Mar 2023 16:38

On the one hand, things are clearly not going well. Form is dropping off, there have been too many bad results, and Ince's communication - previously one of his good points - is becoming increasingly erratic. On the other hand, in general this season is going better than I'd expected, and more importantly than that: can we trust the club to appoint someone better able to lead the club through what will surely now be a relegation battle?

Either way, Ince seeing out the season or not, I think it would be best if there was a new manager and a new start next season, whatever division the club is in.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Mar 2023 16:43

SouthDownsRoyal Do you keep him because he has probably kept us up

Or do you keep him as you see him as the man to take us forward in the coming years

Or both

For me personally, it's a bit of both.

Given the turnover rate of managers in the Championship (especially this season), I've never really understood the argument towards Ince being the man to take us forward "in the coming years", because chances are, he won't be here "in the coming years", like most managers. We have changed managers regularly in the last 5 years and we've kept hold of a few of them for too long arguably, like Pauno, Stam and Clement.

For me, he's got another 12 months to run on his contract after this season so he gets that time for me unless we end up in the bottom 3 of the Championship next season after say 8-12 games. If we go down this season, I wouldn't say sack him personally, although it gives the board a decision to make.

If he makes it through next season and his contract is expiring, we potentially look at another 1-2 year deal maximum and then probably part ways at the end of that deal, unless we are showing "significant progress", which for me would be pushing top half/play offs (which I'm not expecting him to do). By that time, he would have had up to 4 full seasons in charge and by that point it's probably best for us to look for a fresh face to move us forward.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Mar 2023 16:43

AthleticoSpizz You do know Carrick also backed-up Pinces comments about the non-penalty & non-sending off don’t you?

And Mowbray blamed the ref for Sunderland's defeat - they lost 5-1.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Mar 2023 16:45

Mid Sussex Royal
AthleticoSpizz You do know Carrick also backed-up Pinces comments about the non-penalty & non-sending off don’t you?

I do find it funny when some of our fans blame Ince for moaning about excuses (refereeing decisions, injuries etc) but it's exactly what most other managers do at their clubs, even when they are doing respectable/good jobs.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Mar 2023 16:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Mid Sussex Royal

I do find it funny when some of our fans blame Ince for moaning about excuses (refereeing decisions, injuries etc) but it's exactly what most other managers do at their clubs, even when they are doing respectable/good jobs.

Would these fans be the same ones who have been clamouring for Warnock in the past, famously very kind about referees in post match interviews...?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2023 17:12

Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99
Mid Sussex Royal

Would these fans be the same ones who have been clamouring for Warnock in the past, famously very kind about referees in post match interviews...?

Got a history of doing the business on the pitch tho hasn’t he.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Mar 2023 17:18

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
YorkshireRoyal99

Well yes, but he last 2 appointments, during the time that people have been wanting him to come in have left a lot to be desired. Huddersfield did just get pumped 4-0 at home by Coventry.

And for everything you can use to beat Ince with, our home form, isn't it. For years we've been crying out for someone to come in and get us results at home. Ince has finally managed that. P16 W10 D3 L3 is 5th best home record in the league.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 06 Mar 2023 17:28

obvs we wont be getting rid of him at all, given the business plan, and the costs associated with such a move

and tbf if he manages to keep this team up, without having pair a fee for 3 years, and having 2 consecutive seasons with 6 point penalties
id say fair enough, and thank you very much

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2023 17:58

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Hendo

Well yes, but he last 2 appointments, during the time that people have been wanting him to come in have left a lot to be desired. Huddersfield did just get pumped 4-0 at home by Coventry.

And for everything you can use to beat Ince with, our home form, isn't it. For years we've been crying out for someone to come in and get us results at home. Ince has finally managed that. P16 W10 D3 L3 is 5th best home record in the league.

Tru dat. Shame the away form, which had been pretty decent, has fallen off a cliff to get there. But then if it hadn't we'd be comfortably top half.

I don't know if it's my age, but football seems a lot more unequal these days. And I don't mean just in wealth, but games seem to be more onesided and performance more streaky and extreme.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Mar 2023 18:44

SouthDownsRoyal Do you keep him because he has probably kept us up

Or both

Keep if we stay up *especially* with 6 point drop.

Re: takign us forward, we can't possibly tell as he's been working within ridiculous restraints. Would deserve at least a season to prove what can be done without restraints if we're kept up.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Mar 2023 18:52

^Agree, Sir Steve had few restraints to work within, yet took a couple or three years to take us to ‘THAT’ season.

Fezza

by Fezza » 06 Mar 2023 19:08

If we get the 6 point deduction do we remain under EFL embargo? Presumably yes as we won't have met their roadmap out of the sh1te.

If so Ince is proven at achieving above the odds with a very average set of players. Frankly other than Ince JR, and possibly Holmes, none of our contracted players are good enough to be first team regulars in the top ten in the division.

I really can't understand what our fans expect, we are being kept going largely on the willpower of one man and his son.

I'd like Ince to be given a chance to buy in players, with Bowen overseeing, and develop the club, but we're not close to that point yet. We'll need another massive overhaul in the summer, the majority of whom will need to be frees again - all within the constraints which the EFL have set us. Frankly I'm not certain that our fan base is big enough to ever see us get out of the league if spending is tied to gate receipts, unless we can buy and sell like Brentford.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Mar 2023 21:36

Fezza If we get the 6 point deduction do we remain under EFL embargo? Presumably yes as we won't have met their roadmap out of the sh1te.

If so Ince is proven at achieving above the odds with a very average set of players. Frankly other than Ince JR, and possibly Holmes, none of our contracted players are good enough to be first team regulars in the top ten in the division.

I really can't understand what our fans expect, we are being kept going largely on the willpower of one man and his son.

I'd like Ince to be given a chance to buy in players, with Bowen overseeing, and develop the club, but we're not close to that point yet. We'll need another massive overhaul in the summer, the majority of whom will need to be frees again - all within the constraints which the EFL have set us. Frankly I'm not certain that our fan base is big enough to ever see us get out of the league if spending is tied to gate receipts, unless we can buy and sell like Brentford.

Well, yes, going forward our spending is tied to our revenue. Unless we bring in some amazing accountants/lawyers to get round the P&S rules, the reality is that we are going to be in the bottom third of clubs in the league in terms of what we can shell out. The EFL restrictions we have now are just a structured way of us meeting the requirements. It's like your parents keeping hold of your credit card and only letting you purchasing stuff with their agreement.

We'll get more freedom once the restrictions are over - we can blow £5m on a player or sign someone on £50k a week if we really want to. But the sacrifices we'd have to make with the rest of the squad would make that ridiculous. Inevitably our spending in the summer won't be fundamentally different to what it is now. The owners might roll the dice a little bit, but we'll only have to go back into financial hardship next season if/when we don't get promoted.

Fezza

by Fezza » 06 Mar 2023 21:59

Elm Park Kid
Fezza If we get the 6 point deduction do we remain under EFL embargo? Presumably yes as we won't have met their roadmap out of the sh1te.

Well, yes, going forward our spending is tied to our revenue. Unless we bring in some amazing accountants/lawyers to get round the P&S rules, the reality is that we are going to be in the bottom third of clubs in the league in terms of what we can shell out. The EFL restrictions we have now are just a structured way of us meeting the requirements. It's like your parents keeping hold of your credit card and only letting you purchasing stuff with their agreement.

We'll get more freedom once the restrictions are over - we can blow £5m on a player or sign someone on £50k a week if we really want to. But the sacrifices we'd have to make with the rest of the squad would make that ridiculous. Inevitably our spending in the summer won't be fundamentally different to what it is now. The owners might roll the dice a little bit, but we'll only have to go back into financial hardship next season if/when we don't get promoted.

So, in short, we're oxf*rd*d in the short and medium term.

1204 posts