Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: HMRC Winding up petition/order

by Loafer » 29 Jun 2023 15:49

F the HMRC

chasing after me for their own oxf*rd up

On Strings

by On Strings » 29 Jun 2023 15:51

We have until 4pm tomorrow (30th June) now, not today - James Earnshaw.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jun 2023 18:12

On Strings We have until 4pm tomorrow (30th June) now, not today - James Earnshaw.

So what exactly is going on, have Reading not paid the tax bill yet and failed to pay staff on time AGAIN? I take it they've totally failed to respond to the FL deadline?

If that is the case then we do need to develop a plan of action to try and get the regime changed asap.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jun 2023 18:17

Sutekh
On Strings We have until 4pm tomorrow (30th June) now, not today - James Earnshaw.

So what exactly is going on, have Reading not paid the tax bill yet and failed to pay staff on time AGAIN? I take it they've totally failed to respond to the FL deadline?

If that is the case then we do need to develop a plan of action to try and get the regime changed asap.

No. That isn’t what has happened at all.

EFL gave the wrong deadline.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jun 2023 18:34

I wouldn't count on anything he says

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Jun 2023 18:36

Does that have anything to do with the winding up order?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jun 2023 18:42

Hendo
Sutekh

No. That isn’t what has happened at all.

EFL gave the wrong deadline.

I always thought it was us having til the 29th to submit a reponse and that it would be considered at a later date, i.e. tomorrow.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 30 Jun 2023 13:14

Snowflake Royal
The Green Programme
Lower West
The level of debate these days stoops lower and lower. Social media has much to answer for. Sums up the educational standard achieved. Pathetic.

You have just resorted to exactly the tactics that you appear to criticise - you’re just using passive aggressive methods in an attempt to show contempt for the post made (see ‘Vision of the Anointed’)

Educational standards have fallen dramatically over recent decades as a result of falling standards in teaching.

Please explain why the comment was ‘pathetic’ - I read it as being clearly an exaggeration for comedic effect and as such less pious and crass than your response….

With all due respect.

HMRC (together with every other Government Agency) is in a bad way post Covid.

Service standards have dropped alarmingly and there are inexplicable delays in everything done; except for the collection of taxes. Sums currently being collected are at record levels.

All government agencies are haemorrhaging money…. Whilst being less effective.

This is not good. This is a bad thing.

If HMRC were ever responsible for putting our Club into administration by pursuing sums owed to them by way of unnecessarily aggressive methods - this would also be a bad thing.

And not a good thing.

And therefore, should such circumstances prevail, I will not be applauding their actions.

HMRC are acting on behalf of the public to recover money that has not been paid. Good on em. Don't want enforcement action?

Pay the Tax Bill.

HTH.

Let me explain….

If HMRC take unnecessarily aggressive action to pursue an organisation for the payment of a tax liability; when that organisation usually (in good times) pays a great deal of money directly to the treasury each year (in VAT, Corporation Tax, Income Tax, and NI Contributions) whilst also making pension contributions for the benefit of its employees and employing the services of other providers (many local) it can lead to did an organisation being put out of business.

This leads to a huge reduction in revenue to the Treasury as well as all the other more subtle (yet emotive) negative outcomes (community/social etc) that would result.

Only being able to see the hand in front of your face and seeing the world in such a simplistic manner may bring you comfort but it is not realistic and would be a bad thing and not a good thing.

This is why over recent years HMRC have more frequently taken a longer term view and agreed a variety of settlements where outstanding taxes exist so as to keep the ‘cash cow’ producing as opposed to killing it stone dead.

The key issue I am making is that the pursuit of unnecessarily aggressive methods can often be totally unproductive and can cause irreparable damage and would not serve the public good because it often leads to less money being received by the treasury.

In such circumstances, whilst your applauding; you would be applauding less money in the public purse and potentially the death of our Club.

If you think Mr Dai is entirely to blame or that nothing should ever go wrong at a Club and perfection should exist; I would ask you to show me where such perfection exists? At which Club??

A Football Club’s finances can be determined by the scoring or missing of a penalty!!!

Or a bargain producing huge quality (Mac Allister - Brighton) or an huge investment going horribly wrong (Sanchez - Man Utd).

It’s virtually impossible to plan and act perfectly with clearly defined outcomes.

I have already posted on this forum about the Villa v Derby play off final and what was at stake.

One goal determined fortunes for each Club and the outcomes could not have been any starkly different.

That’s the fickle world in which our football Club competes and trades.

Any leeway that HMRC can provide to our Club right now would be of great help not only to the Club and to us fans but also to the treasury in the longer term.

It’s a little like looking at tax rates and wanting to increase them to increase revenue to the treasury.

Sounds good; sounds simple; why not?

Well, because when there are substantial hikes in tax rates; income to the treasury drops; because people’s behaviours change.

See Detroit USA or the creation of the 50p income tax rate in the UK or check out ‘Basic Economics’ by Dr Thomas Sowell.

When tax rates are reduced - revenues to all parties usually grow, and often substantially.

Coming to arrangements with businesses when there are cash flow issues serves HMRC (and therefore the public) more beneficially than steaming in and using aggressive methods of enforcement.

Finally, to quote the old saying (which I believe may have originated from Ireland):

‘If I could choose the best place to start from, it wouldn’t be from here’.

Of course there have been some horrible mistakes - but at least Mr Dai has poured money into the Club, at times when he could have walked away.

The Club needs all the help it can get right now and we should be applauding any person or organisation who provides any.

I hope we get through this and bounce back.

We may get new owners; but another old cliche comes to mind….and should always be considered;

‘’Be careful what you wish for“

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2023 13:22

Not interested.

RFC - PYFTB.

On Strings

by On Strings » 30 Jun 2023 13:39

Staff paid on time this month.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2023 13:42

On Strings Staff paid on time this month.

And in full.

Shame this even has to be a topic of conversation really.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jun 2023 17:57

Just reading the comments on the **ford United Forum under the heading "Tinpot Reading"....and boy are they loving this.....someone who says they are ITK said we cleared the outstanding HMRC bill on the 23rd last week. Could that be true?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 30 Jun 2023 18:36

Ascotexgunner Just reading the comments on the **ford United Forum under the heading "Tinpot Reading"....and boy are they loving this.....someone who says they are ITK said we cleared the outstanding HMRC bill on the 23rd last week. Could that be true?

I saw that somewhere, but can't remember where.

Of course their fans are loving it. The irony is even with our embargoes, we'll still probably end up with a stronger squad than them come the start of the season.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 30 Jun 2023 18:40

Snowflake Royal Not interested.

RFC - PYFTB.

Of course - that really does go without saying!

You’ve missed my point, but never mind.

Now that the tax bill has been paid (allegedly) - we just have the small issue of the EFL and whether they will apply further sanctions of some kind - points or embargo - or hopefully neither.

Let’s see…

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2023 18:43

Ascotexgunner Just reading the comments on the **ford United Forum under the heading "Tinpot Reading"....and boy are they loving this.....someone who says they are ITK said we cleared the outstanding HMRC bill on the 23rd last week. Could that be true?

Yeah it could. Some Twitter person said that at the time

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 30 Jun 2023 18:55

HMRC are following their standard procedures.

They know that petitioning for a winding up order doesn't mean that the club will actually be wound up. A judge would only issue that in the absolute worst case scenario where there is no chance of HMRC being repaid. But, starting the legal process now makes sense as it creates pressure and allows escalation if we keep messing them about.

Us not paying our tax bill is either gross neglect or contempt. Simple as that, no excuses.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jun 2023 19:10

Hound

Yeah it could. Some Twitter person said that at the time

The bloke from the the Dai out action group has said it's been paid also on BBCRB so sounds like that's dealt with...for the moment.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 30 Jun 2023 19:13

Elm Park Kid HMRC are following their standard procedures.

They know that petitioning for a winding up order doesn't mean that the club will actually be wound up. A judge would only issue that in the absolute worst case scenario where there is no chance of HMRC being repaid. But, starting the legal process now makes sense as it creates pressure and allows escalation if we keep messing them about.

Us not paying our tax bill is either gross neglect or contempt. Simple as that, no excuses.

I do wonder if it was connected to 'non-payment of loan players' issue the EFL has flagged. If we didn't pay the full amount to a loan player, then we wouldn't've paid the correct amount of tax.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Jul 2023 11:06

Clyde1998

I saw that somewhere, but can't remember where.

Of course their fans are loving it. The irony is even with our embargoes, we'll still probably end up with a stronger squad than them come the start of the season.

Perhaps those in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones considering their future isn't exactly secure at the moment with their stadium issues,

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Jul 2023 11:33

Have we been wound up yet?

398 posts