by blythspartan » 10 Aug 2023 20:18

Royal_jimmy We should do this:

--------------------Button-------------
Yiadom--------Holmes---------Dean-----------NGW
---------Savage-----Hutchinson---Wing
Knibbs---------------------------------------Azeez
----------------Ehibatiomhan------------

Subs: Bouzanis, McIntyre, Bindon, Rushesha, Camara, Vickers, Carroll

I pretty much agree with this, but I’d like to see Carson at LB. I do like NGW but I feel that Carson will become a more complete LB.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (a)

by Clyde1998 » 10 Aug 2023 20:47

blythspartan

I pretty much agree with this, but I’d like to see Carson at LB. I do like NGW but I feel that Carson will become a more complete LB.

I think NGW could be a better LM than LB.

I'd go with:
  • Button
  • Yiadom -- Bindon -- McIntyre -- NGW
  • Camara -- Savage -- Rushesha -- Knibbs
  • Ehib -- Carroll
Subs: Bouzanis, Holmes/Dean, Abbey (Mbengue if fit), Hutchinson, Wing, Azeez, Vickers

Tbh, with how the team played against Millwall, it's hard to decide who should actually start. I don't think there are really any players I'd be too disappointed or surprised starting now.
Last edited by Clyde1998 on 10 Aug 2023 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Aug 2023 20:53

Granted the likes of McIntyre can cover more than one position, but feels a bit of a waste having two CB’s on the bench, taking up 33% of the outfield spots

Especially, given the performance the other night, were the attacking players staked a claim. Even having someone like Carson on the bench, a natural fullback makes more sense than two CB’s IMO

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Aug 2023 21:24

blythspartan

Really like this team, Dean should be fit now and will add much needed strength and experience at the back. I would really like for us to get an experienced LB at some point. NGW is not good enough at the art of defending!! Carson is still learning that position.
Hutch should give us plenty of cover in front of the back four and Savage and Wing the creative force of the team. The front three are all young enough and fast enough to scare any back line.
This team should be enough to get a result i hope....back to back wins will go along way to rebuilding much needed confidence in the squad, and with Cheltenham and Exeter coming up a chance to gain some early momentum :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Aug 2023 21:49

blythspartan

Fine with both teams but abbey deserves a bench spot at least

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Aug 2023 23:02

URZZZZ Granted the likes of McIntyre can cover more than one position, but feels a bit of a waste having two CB’s on the bench, taking up 33% of the outfield spots

Especially, given the performance the other night, were the attacking players staked a claim. Even having someone like Carson on the bench, a natural fullback makes more sense than two CB’s IMO

I always think one goalkeeper, two defenders, two midfielders, two attackers on the bench when it's a total of seven.

I'm not opposed to having Carson on the bench, if he's fit (he went off injured on Tuesday, which may have just been precautionary); I am also guessing how fit players are - would be happy if Vickers is fit enough for start. Fitness would dictate the players who'll feature and whether they'll start or not.

I think there are only four young players who played at Millwall who I didn't put in my squad (Carson, Tuma, Craig and CBC). Depending on the balance on the bench, you could have Tuma or Craig ahead of a defender (but it's hard to say which defender - Holmes, Dean, Abbey, Mbengue?); Hutch could play in defence if we needed him to, Rushesha could move to RB again, etc.

Tuesday's performance has given us a great problem though. I wouldn't mind us having the same team/squad as Tuesday, but that would mean four or five first team players missing out on the squad (Yiadom, Carroll, Holmes and McIntyre weren't in the squad and Button has joined since).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2023 23:09

Putting KelvE upfront on his own is asking quite a lot imo.

As I've said before I'd try not to overexpose the quality academy lads. They should get minutes, but build them up to forcing their way into starting over multiple strong sub appearances.

I'd keep the same team as Posh, with Wing maybe coming in for Hutch if fit.

Unless the match dictates otherwise I'd definitely be giving at least 15 minutes to:
Carson/Abbey/Dean
Rushesha/Wing/Craig
Camara
Vickers

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Aug 2023 10:39

I think McIntyre should be benched mainly as he's so versatile. He can cover left back, he can come on for Hutchinson if he has a knock and cover the back. But ideally I'd like Bindon to come on if we have a CB injury.

Agree we should be having 1 GK, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 attackers ideally. We'll see what Selles does. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for more midfielders/attackers on the bench as the energy we need to play the way we do is high.

I say we press them, force a mistake and when they have a lone player we double up on them again, like we did at Millwall.

Who's going tomorrow? it's my first trip to Vale Park and can't wait! Other than going to Stoke is rarely an exciting experience.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 11 Aug 2023 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Aug 2023 10:40

You can't wait to go to Stoke on Trent? Lower your expectations and then lower them again twice over.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 11 Aug 2023 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Aug 2023 10:41

NathStPaul You can't wait to go to Stoke on Trent? Lower your expectations and then lower them again twice over?

Ha, you just beat me to it. See my edited post

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Aug 2023 10:58

Is it arrogant relegated bigger club syndrome to think we really should win this?

It's not based upon delusion. There were signs of encouragement against Peterborough and we narrowly lost against a team who will be up there. I thought we'd beat plenty of lower L1 teams with that style. Well Vale are a lower L1 team. Then we followed it up with Millwall.

I think if we turn up we'll have too much for them. It may be that it takes time to gain consistency under Selles, and if we don't turn up we could well lose. But I look at the next 4 or 5 and think that they're all in our hands.

Esteban

by Esteban » 11 Aug 2023 11:41

WestYorksRoyal Is it arrogant relegated bigger club syndrome to think we really should win this?

It's not based upon delusion. There were signs of encouragement against Peterborough and we narrowly lost against a team who will be up there. I thought we'd beat plenty of lower L1 teams with that style. Well Vale are a lower L1 team. Then we followed it up with Millwall.

I think if we turn up we'll have too much for them. It may be that it takes time to gain consistency under Selles, and if we don't turn up we could well lose. But I look at the next 4 or 5 and think that they're all in our hands.

I wouldn't get too carried away just yet, Selles might conceivably change the entire back 5 from the Millwall game and at least 4 of those are very used to losing! But I agree, it's certainly a game we should win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2023 12:11

Royal_jimmy I think McIntyre should be benched mainly as he's so versatile. He can cover left back, he can come on for Hutchinson if he has a knock and cover the back. But ideally I'd like Bindon to come on if we have a CB injury.

Agree we should be having 1 GK, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 2 attackers ideally. We'll see what Selles does. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for more midfielders/attackers on the bench as the energy we need to play the way we do is high.

I say we press them, force a mistake and when they have a lone player we double up on them again, like we did at Millwall.

Who's going tomorrow? it's my first trip to Vale Park and can't wait! Other than going to Stoke is rarely an exciting experience.

I thought you hated the idea of being in L1 and going on these away trips :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2023 12:13

WestYorksRoyal Is it arrogant relegated bigger club syndrome to think we really should win this?

It's arrogant to think we should beat them because we're a bigger club.

It's not arrogant to think we should beat them because we largely matched Posh, beat Millwall with our second string and they lost 7-0 to Barnsley.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Aug 2023 12:20

Snowflake Royal

It's arrogant to think we should beat them because we're a bigger club.

It's not arrogant to think we should beat them because we largely matched Posh, beat Millwall with our second string and they lost 7-0 to Barnsley.

^^this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2023 12:23

We should expect a better prrformance from them than their first game though.

biff

by biff » 11 Aug 2023 12:23

Can we get tickets on the gate?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Aug 2023 12:23

Put it this way. No HNA? meltdown after Peterborough. Let's see what happens if we lose this one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2023 12:25

WestYorksRoyal Put it this way. No HNA? meltdown after Peterborough. Let's see what happens if we lose this one.

There was a Millsy meltdown

If he thought Posh were inferior opposition I dread to think what his view on Vale is.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2023 12:51

biff Can we get tickets on the gate?

No.

272 posts