Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2667 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: another, thants right another embargo for late PAYE payments - a new embargo

by windermereROYAL » 08 Sep 2023 08:38

Can`t find the story but I saw something this morning about the government inquiry into football regulation are advising against future points deductions.
Probably wishful thinking that us and Wigan might get our points back.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: another, thants right another embargo for late PAYE payments - a new embargo

by morganb » 08 Sep 2023 09:01

windermereROYAL Can`t find the story but I saw something this morning about the government inquiry into football regulation are advising against future points deductions.

Think this is the article -

https://news.sky.com/story/english-foot ... s-12956743

The regulator for English football will now not recommend sporting sanctions for clubs - ruling out points deductions for breaching regulations on finances...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Sep 2023 09:09

morganb
windermereROYAL Can`t find the story but I saw something this morning about the government inquiry into football regulation are advising against future points deductions.

The regulator for English football will now not recommend sporting sanctions for clubs - ruling out points deductions for breaching regulations on finances...

I agree, but what other levers are there? And if you got relegated or missed out on promotion behind a team who had breached the rules, that would be unfair.

I think it's fair for overspending, but where crisis clubs are struggling to pay wages, facing administration etc. I think points deductions are just kicking them while they're down.

The line is whether breaches have provided a sporting advantage. If you read the judgement on our latest misdemeanor, one of the factors is leniency from the judge was that we were not seeking and did not obtain a sporting advantage.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2023 10:03

WestYorksRoyal
morganb

I agree, but what other levers are there? And if you got relegated or missed out on promotion behind a team who had breached the rules, that would be unfair.

I think it's fair for overspending, but where crisis clubs are struggling to pay wages, facing administration etc. I think points deductions are just kicking them while they're down.

The line is whether breaches have provided a sporting advantage. If you read the judgement on our latest misdemeanor, one of the factors is leniency from the judge was that we were not seeking and did not obtain a sporting advantage.

Unacceptable! Points deductions are a reasonable and meaningful punishment otherwise you end up with the utterly pointless punishments of fining clubs e.g. fining Chelsea £8m in the summer, wow! that really had an effect on their ridiculous spending didn't it?

Maybe there is something to be said about clubs not getting advantage through it but then even though they've proved incompetent at cheating doesn't mean they shouldn't get done with a points deduction. Perhaps there should be something more to be said on having FFP rules that enable the FA/PL/FL to judge and administer punishments during the same season the rules are breached rather than 2/3/4/5 years later!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Sep 2023 10:21

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal

Unacceptable! Points deductions are a reasonable and meaningful punishment otherwise you end up with the utterly pointless punishments of fining clubs e.g. fining Chelsea £8m in the summer, wow! that really had an effect on their ridiculous spending didn't it?

Maybe there is something to be said about clubs not getting advantage through it but then even though they've proved incompetent at cheating doesn't mean they shouldn't get done with a points deduction. Perhaps there should be something more to be said on having FFP rules that enable the FA/PL/FL to judge and administer punishments during the same season the rules are breached rather than 2/3/4/5 years later!

The timeliness point is important. There's a parallel universe where Gourlay made good signings and we were in the PL before getting punished, which is basically successful cheating. See Bournemouth.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 08 Sep 2023 10:55

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal I agree, but what other levers are there? And if you got relegated or missed out on promotion behind a team who had breached the rules, that would be unfair.

The timeliness point is important. There's a parallel universe where Gourlay made good signings and we were in the PL before getting punished, which is basically successful cheating. See Bournemouth.

The Government is saying its regulator won't have the power to deduct points. Neither the story, nor the government's white paper, which anyone can read as its been published, say that the Premier League and the EFL will have their own sanctions removed.

I.e. Status quo applies, the leagues have their own rules. The regulator has its own powers on top of the league's rules, but the new regulator's powers won't include the power to deduct points.

I replied to your post because it was the most recent, this isn't a direct reply to you WestYorks, since you've already said you don't read my posts anyway. xx

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 08 Sep 2023 11:01

Paragraph 55 if you're interested.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Sep 2023 13:19

Well done GWL, a helpful post.

The massive chip on your shoulder must have made it tricky to type though.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Sep 2023 08:43

When will we know about the 125% and suspended points? Very soon I thought?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Sep 2023 08:46

WestYorksRoyal When will we know about the 125% and suspended points? Very soon I thought?

The 1 point deduction was on the 16th August so the 28 day deadline is tomorrow.
We will hear nothing if it`s been paid in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Sep 2023 08:59

windermereROYAL
WestYorksRoyal When will we know about the 125% and suspended points? Very soon I thought?

The 1 point deduction was on the 16th August so the 28 day deadline is tomorrow.
We will hear nothing if it`s been paid in.

Whilst the deduction took effect on the 16th, the judgement itself was dated 15th August and Dai/the club had 28 days from then to have the 125% in place. So it is end of business today that the money must be in the account and, I assume, proof must be given to the EFL.

As you rightly say though, I doubt we'll hear anything official if it has been paid but expect there will be a leak.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Sep 2023 15:57

John Percy of the Telegraph reporting that the deposit hasn't been made and another 3 points incoming.

Edit: Confirmed by the Club too now.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 13 Sep 2023 16:06

:(

When will this ever end.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Sep 2023 16:07

WestYorksRoyal John Percy of the Telegraph reporting that the deposit hasn't been made and another 3 points incoming.

Edit: Confirmed by the Club too now.

At least the club was prompt with the statement -

Select Car Leasing
Macron
3 minutes ago
Club

CLUB STATEMENT | SUSPENDED THREE-POINT PENALTY TRIGGERED

Reading Football Club can confirm that a suspended three-point penalty has been activated as a result of owner Mr Dai failing to deposit an amount equating to 125% of the club's monthly wage bill into a designated account by the deadline of Tuesday 12 September 2023, as ordered by the Independent Disciplinary Commission in its decision of 15 August 2023.

Last month, the club received a one-point penalty in relation to breaches of Regulation 64.7 of the EFL Regulations (relating to three instances of late payment of player wages), with a further three-point suspended penalty to be applied should the club fail to pay players' wages on time on any further occasion before 30 June 2024, or should the deposit payment fail to be paid.

The points deduction will now be applied to our League One total with immediate effect.

As communicated to our supporters previously, Mr Dai is currently undertaking an ongoing process of seeking sources of stable external investment for the football club, with the aim of mitigating the risk of cashflow complications arising in future.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/s ... triggered/

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2023 16:08

Good lord.

Protest group are on the case I take it? More sock throwing on the cards.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Sep 2023 16:09

It must knock dressing room morale. I never expected promotion, but I'm now concerned of a double relegation if heads drop and we get into a rut.

He has to go but we're so powerless to do anything.

We need regulation to designate Clubs as community assets with the power to force a sale as last resort. Did it with Chelsea last year in exceptional circumstances so it can be done. We're not even Southend or Scunthorpe yet but who knows where this ends.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Sep 2023 16:12

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/september ... eading-fc/

EFL Statement: Reading FC
General

13 Sep
Words: EFL

Reading FC have been deducted three points from the 2023/24 League One table after the Club failed to comply with the order of an Independent Disciplinary Commission (IDC) which required them to deposit an amount equal to 125% of the Club’s forecast monthly wage bill in a designated account by 12 September 2023.

On 15 August 2023, the IDC had determined the Club had breached EFL Regulations related to the Club having failed to pay its players’ wages on time and in full on or around 31 October 2022, 30 November 2022, and 28 April 2023. The Club received a one-point deduction, with a further three points suspended.

As a result of this latest instance of non-compliance by the Club’s ownership, the suspended sanction has been activated and, as per the Commission's instructions, applied by the EFL to the League One table with immediate effect.

The EFL continues to acknowledge the negative impact sporting sanctions are having on the Football Club and remain extremely disappointed and frustrated at the Club’s ownership to meet its ongoing obligations under EFL Regulations. The League will continue to apply its rules in all circumstances deemed appropriate.

The Independent Disciplinary Commission’s Written Reasons can be viewed here.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Sep 2023 16:16

Its a dead club.

Look in to supporting Maidenhead United, Bracknell Town or one of the other non-league sides in the area. They'll appreciate you more and you'll enjoy the games more.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Sep 2023 16:21

morganb https://www.efl.com/news/2023/september/13/efl-statement--reading-fc/

EFL Statement: Reading FC
General

13 Sep
Words: EFL

Reading FC have been deducted three points from the 2023/24 League One table after the Club failed to comply with the order of an Independent Disciplinary Commission (IDC) which required them to deposit an amount equal to 125% of the Club’s forecast monthly wage bill in a designated account by 12 September 2023.

On 15 August 2023, the IDC had determined the Club had breached EFL Regulations related to the Club having failed to pay its players’ wages on time and in full on or around 31 October 2022, 30 November 2022, and 28 April 2023. The Club received a one-point deduction, with a further three points suspended.

As a result of this latest instance of non-compliance by the Club’s ownership, the suspended sanction has been activated and, as per the Commission's instructions, applied by the EFL to the League One table with immediate effect.

The EFL continues to acknowledge the negative impact sporting sanctions are having on the Football Club and remain extremely disappointed and frustrated at the Club’s ownership to meet its ongoing obligations under EFL Regulations. The League will continue to apply its rules in all circumstances deemed appropriate.

The Independent Disciplinary Commission’s Written Reasons can be viewed here.

This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you, vibes.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Sep 2023 16:24

NathStPaul Its a dead club.

Look in to supporting Maidenhead United, Bracknell Town or one of the other non-league sides in the area. They'll appreciate you more and you'll enjoy the games more.

Well if you're ready to give up you can leave. There are good people throughout the Club who work hard for the community, so I'm not chucking it in just because of one shit house of an owner who won't be here forever.

2667 posts