Ex Players

3527 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2023 17:07

WestYorksRoyal
Orion1871 Jamie Bynoe-Gittens extends his contract until 2028 at BVB.

What's the story on us losing him and other youngsters to City?

I thought EPPP put geographical restrictions on making teenagers uproot their life and move up north. Plus, we're category 1 so how are PL teams allowed simply to poach our brightest prospects? I don't think we released him, so did City give us a decent fee?

We weren't Cat 1 for a year or so until recently.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2023 17:45

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal

I thought EPPP put geographical restrictions on making teenagers uproot their life and move up north. Plus, we're category 1 so how are PL teams allowed simply to poach our brightest prospects? I don't think we released him, so did City give us a decent fee?

We weren't Cat 1 for a year or so until recently.

Yes, but we were when City signed Bynoe-Gittens

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 02 Oct 2023 17:47

I wonder how Man City, with their infinite levels of funding and influence, managed to pull this one off. Can't think of another example of them getting around other rules designed to keep a level playing field...

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 02 Oct 2023 17:58

WestYorksRoyal

Geographical restrictions were scrapped a long time ago.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2011/10/24/well-and-truly-eppped-off

Doesn't matter if you're another category 1 club. The City's of the world are able to take your best prospects at a minimal cost given their wealth. Even the money we got for Fletcher is a drop in the ocean for them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2023 18:08

Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2011/10/24/well-and-truly-eppped-off

Doesn't matter if you're another category 1 club. The City's of the world are able to take your best prospects at a minimal cost given their wealth. Even the money we got for Fletcher is a drop in the ocean for them.

We got £1m + add ons for Fletcher. Drop in the ocean for them, but very handy for us right now. So I'm presuming we agreed to his exit.

I guess my main question is, as a Cat 1 academy, do we have powers over youngsters enrolled in the same way we would for a senior team member under contract? Or can the big clubs just take their pick?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 02 Oct 2023 19:18

WestYorksRoyal
Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal What's the story on us losing him and other youngsters to City?

We got £1m + add ons for Fletcher. Drop in the ocean for them, but very handy for us right now. So I'm presuming we agreed to his exit.

I guess my main question is, as a Cat 1 academy, do we have powers over youngsters enrolled in the same way we would for a senior team member under contract? Or can the big clubs just take their pick?

No, we don't have "control" over the players. Important to remember that we're talking about quite young boys - Bynoe-Gittens was just 14 for example.

Under EPPP there are fixed compensation amounts that compensate us for the money we have spent on their development (this does not consider other intangible factors like future potential, or things like our financial situation). If another Cat 1 club pays the fee then they can sign the player. We can, of course, do the same to Man City - we have both signed our fair share of players who didn't quite make it elsewhere (like Olise, Richards, and Smith) and poached our share from "smaller" clubs (like Rinomhota, or more obscurely, Harry Cardwell).

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Oct 2023 13:01

rumours alex rae will be the new rangers manager

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Oct 2023 15:05

Paolo Hewitt who wrote "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story" was being interviewed on TalkSport this afternoon. Apparently Michael Caton-Jones (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001994/) is on-board to direct the film of the book. No other info was given out so must be in it's early days. Wonder who'll play Robin?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2023 15:12

Saw Josh Laurent being upset on Twitter about something or other. Not sure if he got booed off or something

Not too sure how Alex Neil is still in a job there tbh

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Oct 2023 16:14

Hound Saw Josh Laurent being upset on Twitter about something or other. Not sure if he got booed off or something

I’m also not sure why Stoke aren’t in a world of FFP pain yet either.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2023 16:20

Mr Optimist
Hound Saw Josh Laurent being upset on Twitter about something or other. Not sure if he got booed off or something

Coz their owners found a loophole and just gave the club a load of money or something

Was legit but hardly the spirit of ffp

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Oct 2023 16:29

morganb Paolo Hewitt who wrote "The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: The Robin Friday Story" was being interviewed on TalkSport this afternoon. Apparently Michael Caton-Jones (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001994/) is on-board to direct the film of the book. No other info was given out so must be in it's early days. Wonder who'll play Robin?

They've been trying to get this off the ground for about a decade Sam Claflin was lined up to play Friday.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Oct 2023 16:33

Hound
Mr Optimist

Coz their owners found a loophole and just gave the club a load of money or something

Selling Souter to Leicester for £20m will have helped

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Oct 2023 17:06

Hound
Mr Optimist

Yeah didn't they write off like £120m debt as equity or something allowing them to essentially wipe the slate clean and start again? Ironically, they still aren't that good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2023 17:29

Hound
Mr Optimist

Yeah they wrote off a huge slice of debt to them

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2023 19:52

Mid Sussex Royal
Hound
Mr Optimist

Selling Souter to Leicester for £20m will have helped

Yeah think they sold someone else as well iirc.

Souter has been useless for Leicester interestingly - think they were trying to loan him to Glasgow Rangers in the window

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2023 09:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
Mr Optimist

Yeah didn't they write off like £120m debt as equity or something allowing them to essentially wipe the slate clean and start again? Ironically, they still aren't that good.

I thought the FL had closed that loophole as it basically just makes a complete mockery of the entire point of ffp.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Oct 2023 09:34

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

I thought the FL had closed that loophole as it basically just makes a complete mockery of the entire point of ffp.

They have but not before Stoke were able to take advantage.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2023 11:54

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

They have but not before Stoke were able to take advantage.

Isn’t the Stoke CEO or something on the EFL board as well?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2023 08:42

Jamie Cureton is now on the technical staff at Maldon & Tiptree.

3527 posts