MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (a)

235 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leyton Orient (a)

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2023 16:11

Millsy Ok a more serious note why are they called Leyton Orient when they're based in the UK?

Surely should be Leyton Occident.

It's thought Orient comes from the name of a shipping company (Orient Steam Navigation Company - now better known as Peninsular & Oriental). Back in the late 1800s the club had several players at the time who worked for them and they thought it sounded good as the club was looking to settle on a name.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Oct 2023 16:32

Well, I haven't learned my lesson so far this season and making my third away journey after Port Vale and Exeter. Maybe it will be a happier outcome this time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2023 16:32

Sutekh
Millsy Ok a more serious note why are they called Leyton Orient when they're based in the UK?

It's thought Orient comes from the name of a shipping company (Orient Steam Navigation Company - now better known as Peninsular & Oriental). Back in the late 1800s the club had several players at the time who worked for them and they thought it sounded good as the club was looking to settle on a name.

Thanks. I did Google it before posting but thought it was a useful post to make anyway for sh*ts and giggles.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Oct 2023 16:53

Millsy
Sutekh

Thanks. I did Google it before posting but thought it was a useful post to make anyway for sh*ts and giggles.

I guess we've all learnt something here, Millsy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2023 17:28

Crowbar6753 Would like to see 4-2-3-1 personally. Two deep lying DMs giving the defense extra support when needed and the three AMs giving width and attacking support to the lone striker.
Both Ballard and Kelvin E seem to have the pace and strength to play the lone forward role, plus i think an attacking midfield role would be perfect for Vickers.

So it this:

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Hutch Craig

Vickers Wing Knibbs

Kelvin E

Savage and Azeez need a break as they're just not contributing atm and can be used as impact subs. Not saying this will work but it gives us more width and a stronger presence in midfield with Craig and Hutch. Vickers, Wing and Knibbs should have enough about them to get the ball in the Kelvin up front.
This could also be used in a 4-3-3

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Craig Hutch Wing

Vickers Kelvin E Knibbs

Yep, more viable options.

I think it's worth saying as well, that formations are largely just short hand for how you want your players to play usually.

Unfortunately 4-2-2-2 is short hand for playing narrow to unnecessarily congest the centre of the pitch in the attacking third whilst bypassing your midfield and leaving your fullbacks high, out of position and exposed.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Oct 2023 18:07

I am really hoping to see a long awaited away win and I’m looking forward to going to Brisbane Road for the first time in years. I have read lots of positive words from the players etc., but now they need to deliver on the pitch.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Oct 2023 18:36

I'm going 532. Button gets a chance to put Tuesday behind him.

Button
Rushesa Bindon Dean Abbey NGW
Wing Savage Elliott
Ballard Ehibhatiomhan

Subs: CBC, Holmes, Carson, Hutchinson, Vickers, Knibbs, Azeez

I don't think Selles will do this.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 05 Oct 2023 18:51

WestYorksRoyal I'm going 532. Button gets a chance to put Tuesday behind him.

Button
Rushesa Bindon Dean Abbey NGW
Wing Savage Elliott
Ballard Ehibhatiomhan

Subs: CBC, Holmes, Carson, Hutchinson, Vickers, Knibbs, Azeez

I don't think Selles will do this.

I have no issues with 4-2-2-2 at home as it seems to work pretty well to date, however, on the road when teams tend to attack you more it just leaves us so exposed in defense!!
5-3-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 just something a bit different with a bit more protection!!
Sticking with 4-2-2-2 away from home and expecting the results to change is asking for trouble and stubbornness will eventually get you fired.
Plus, its good to keep the opponent guessing, Orient are pretty guarantied to put a gameplan in place for our 4-2-2-2 formation, throw in a change of formation and we will certainly catch them off guard.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Oct 2023 19:05

Sutekh

That is actually interesting, and kind of ironic as a lot of the sports teams in that part of the world are based off companies and were formed with employees.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Oct 2023 21:17

Sutekh

I srsly thought it was because they are in East London :|

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2023 21:40

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 Would like to see 4-2-3-1 personally. Two deep lying DMs giving the defense extra support when needed and the three AMs giving width and attacking support to the lone striker.
Both Ballard and Kelvin E seem to have the pace and strength to play the lone forward role, plus i think an attacking midfield role would be perfect for Vickers.

So it this:

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Hutch Craig

Vickers Wing Knibbs

Kelvin E

Savage and Azeez need a break as they're just not contributing atm and can be used as impact subs. Not saying this will work but it gives us more width and a stronger presence in midfield with Craig and Hutch. Vickers, Wing and Knibbs should have enough about them to get the ball in the Kelvin up front.
This could also be used in a 4-3-3

Button

Abrefa Abbey Dean NGW

Craig Hutch Wing

Vickers Kelvin E Knibbs

Yep, more viable options.

I think it's worth saying as well, that formations are largely just short hand for how you want your players to play usually.

Unfortunately 4-2-2-2 is short hand for playing narrow to unnecessarily congest the centre of the pitch in the attacking third whilst bypassing your midfield and leaving your fullbacks high, out of position and exposed.

If I was to manage an 11 aside team I’d prob play 4-2-3-1. But it’s barely any different from 4-2-2-2 - the attacking mid ‘2’ still tend to give wide options just not as wide.

I also wouldn’t want to see Kelv as a ‘1’ up front as he’d likely be too isolated

There’s some good theory behind 4-2-2-2 and it has worked elsewhere. We just need to do it better. Like I’ve said main issue for me is this formation you really shouldn’t be getting cut through in defensive mid. You can make up for the failings if you dominate the areas you are meant to but we are not

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 05 Oct 2023 21:41

LUX
Sutekh

I srsly thought it was because they are in East London :|

And good at map reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2023 21:42

CountryRoyal
Sutekh

That is actually interesting, and kind of ironic as a lot of the sports teams in that part of the world are based off companies and were formed with employees.

Yeah didn’t know that despite it actually being my ‘local’ club as a kid

biff

by biff » 06 Oct 2023 11:59

Anybody have a spare I can nab?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Oct 2023 12:23

The football club now known as Leyton Orient, with that exotic moniker, was born of cricket, like so many others formed in the late 19th century.

Glyn Cricket Club was the brainchild of 12 old boys of Homerton College, a theological teacher training school for Puritans and Non-Conformists in Hackney, north London, in 1881 and played their matches at Glyn Road. They had become Eagle Cricket Club by the time Jack Dearing, a committee member, team player and employee of the Orient Steamship Navigation Company, took to his feet at a meeting held around the corner at 86 Dunlace Road in Hackney and proposed the name be changed to Orient.

The assumption is that there were other members of the Orient company – whose roots went back to the late 18th century – within the membership because the name change was embraced with enthusiasm. In the same meeting, those present proposed the formation of a football section so players could maintain their fitness in the winter, cricket’s off-season.

They became Clapton Orient in 1898 and, after moving another short distance within the area to Leyton in 1937, Leyton Orient following the Second World War.

Peninsular & Oriental (the famous P&O) bought a majority stake in the Orient Steamship Navigation Company in 1919 and hoovered up all the remaining shares in 1966, but the shipping firm’s original name will live on as long as the football club endures.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Oct 2023 12:24

We can all read Wikipedia pal.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Oct 2023 12:58

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Want to give your fullbacks more protection? 4-4-2.

How is 4-4-2 offering the full backs more protection when that's what we play now? It's not necessarily the formation that is the issue, it's the way the players are being asked to play and the players we have available.

No point trying to force players like Azeez or Knibbs 10 yards deeper when they are much better going forwards and the defensive side of the game isn't their strength.

Knibbs is a strange one. Personally think he’s offered little in an attacking sense (although credit for the assist on Tuesday) - looks a little bit lost out there

Yet on the other hand, he does a fair amount of decent work higher up the pitch, winning the ball back etc etc. In the 8 games he’s started, we’ve conceded 6 goals - conceding 7 in the 2 he hasn’t started. May be a mere coincidence but a fairly large distinction there

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Oct 2023 13:24

Homerton.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Oct 2023 13:25

Well we need to outscore the opposition so whoever is most likely to help us do that should play

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Oct 2023 14:56

Great analysis Jim.

235 posts