MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

233 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 09:01

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 Good win last night with some clinical finishing on display, it just goes to show sometimes what a win can do. I think we finished with 6 shots on target and scored with 5 of them and Carlisle certainly weren't without their moments, we've had games this season where those margins have gone against us (i.e. Carlisle's header off the line goes in for example) but not last night.

My favourite goal was actually the second one, but more because of the principle of the move really. It's exactly what I want to see Azeez doing more, being direct and getting down the outside where his pace over a short space affords him that half a yard to put the ball in like that. Ok, he was given the time to do so and had a lot of space initially, but the point still stands.

I also liked it as we had 3 players in the 6 yard box when the ball went in, so whilst we had our luck where they failed to clear their lines and it fell for Knibbs to stab home, we had the numbers in there to get the goal so I thought we earnt that luck really. Sometimes it's all too easy to just hang back a bit and not get in there where the goals are, but to see 3 players attacking it was pleasing. For all of Selles' critics, for which I have been one, in that moment the players have listened and executed that phase of play.

The second goal is exactly the sort of goal we have not scored enough of over the last few years for the reasons you put, if you get bodies in the box and a ball is played with pace into a dangerous area, sometimes it bounces for you. Same for the first in many ways, the idea from Mukairu was excellent but he hit it a tad hard, Dorsett could have given up on it but bust a gut just to get the ball into a dangerous area, that in itself caused the defender to doubt himself and knock it in for the OG. So whilst they were both comedy goals, they showcased things that the team is now doing right.

And on the flip side, we've lost lots of games where we've sat deep and conceded to a ricochet that has gone against us, and then had a manager (Ince) bemoan luck. It really is a case of making your own luck.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Nov 2023 09:02

At this level there will be evenings like that when we play a team who has a shocker and we paste them. Suppose that's the fun of watching a lower standard of football. Not getting carried away but it's been a great few days for us, hopefully we can take that momentum into the game against the scum.

It does seem like when it's our night we really do smash someone, we've scored 5 at home 3 times as well as the 9 at Exeter. We just need to need to find a way to make those kinds of games happen a bit more often and especially in the league.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 09:10

Stranded
Hound It does seem that Selles has finally stumbled across his first choice, with a solid system

Definitely can’t underestimate the impact a fully fit Smith and Wing have made - don’t think we’d be bottom half if they’d started the season tbh

Time now to get some consistency and start churning out points each week. If the higher placed teams in this div are very beatable and absolutely nothing to fear there

Feel we’ve loads of goals in us - still need to tighten up at the back but hopefully that’ll come. Been a while since a clean sheet

2 months since a clean sheet in the league - painful. Even if we can't keep one, would be nice if the goal conceded is just an 89th minute consolation as we are 3 up.

Top teams in this division are beatable - we've only won 5 to date and 2 of those were against the sides in 1st and 4th - plus if Smith hadn't missed the open goal, we'd have probably beaten Pompey too. That is the maddening thing about our current position, there isn't a single side in this division that we shouldn't be able to beat but yet here we are with 11 defeats to our name. Of the next 2, Barnsley are in OK form, took a very strange goal to get a win last night and Oxford have not scored since the new guy came in and lost comfortably at Cheltenham, they go to Peterborough before us, so could easily be in a sticky patch before they get to the SCL.

If Selles has learnt his lesson and found a system and 18 man squad that can play it effectively then all power to him and lets see where it can go, but I'm still not convinced and wouldn't be upset if he has moved on in the coming weeks.

Yeah 100%. He still has a very long way to go to convince anyone of his abilities

Really should not be anywhere near where we are, off field issues or not

Still finally a bit of encouragement again.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Nov 2023 09:11

Great time to play Oxford. New manager going in there, players will still be getting used to him and he hasn't got off to the greatest of starts.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Nov 2023 09:13

genome I wonder if the pending takeover has boosted morale? Certainly seems like something has clicked

Mentioned this a few weeks ago regarding the situation at the club, I think more stability off the pitch would be of benefit to the team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 09:15

YorkshireRoyal99
genome I wonder if the pending takeover has boosted morale? Certainly seems like something has clicked

Mentioned this a few weeks ago regarding the situation at the club, I think more stability off the pitch would be of benefit to the team.

100%

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2023 09:19

YorkshireRoyal99

And the management team as well, for all their faults, they have also been working in an environment where something as simple as getting paid can't be guaranteed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 09:23

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

100%

I think it has helped, but 2 big things are the formation change and having Wing & Smith both fit and in roles that suit them. Think you can add Knibbs who looks twice the player in a central role.

Pompey was the first game we ditched 4-2-2-2, and since then we've scored goals for fun. Obviously they didn't initially translate into results, but if you can routinely score 2 or 3 goals you will win games. We look marginally more solid, but the frailty is still there. Last night we had the instant equaliser then a really shaky spell to start the 2nd half. The result could have been different if it was 3-2 after 50 minutes. You just need to hope that a couple of wins will help instill the steeliness we need.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Nov 2023 09:27

You'd have to be some sort of heartless weirdo to not enjoy the reaction from Azeez after he notched last night, lovely stuff

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 09:32

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

100%

I think it has helped, but 2 big things are the formation change and having Wing & Smith both fit and in roles that suit them. Think you can add Knibbs who looks twice the player in a central role.

Pompey was the first game we ditched 4-2-2-2, and since then we've scored goals for fun. Obviously they didn't initially translate into results, but if you can routinely score 2 or 3 goals you will win games. We look marginally more solid, but the frailty is still there. Last night we had the instant equaliser then a really shaky spell to start the 2nd half. The result could have been different if it was 3-2 after 50 minutes. You just need to hope that a couple of wins will help instill the steeliness we need.

Yeah also 100%.

Biggest factor for me is USelles abandoning his god awful computer game formation.

Defence is much improved because the full backs are more often in position and getting more support.

We're better going forward because we have natural width and aren't just playing in two straight tramlines forward. We're mixing up direct and passing... although a bit too direct at the moment.

It's a whole host of things, many of which were obvious for a long time.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 09:38

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal 100%

Yeah also 100%.

Biggest factor for me is USelles abandoning his god awful computer game formation.

Defence is much improved because the full backs are more often in position and getting more support.

We're better going forward because we have natural width and aren't just playing in two straight tramlines forward. We're mixing up direct and passing... although a bit too direct at the moment.

It was obvious, but in his defence I think Smith is the only player capable of the lone striker role. I like Ehibatioman as a young prospect, but he's not ready for such a big role and his style is more languid and less suited to chasing lost causes and pressing. The system change was only possible through Smith's return.

If anything happens to Smith or Wing, so can wave this mini revival goodbye. They should both be on the bench at most for the coming 2 Cup games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 09:42

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think it has helped, but 2 big things are the formation change and having Wing & Smith both fit and in roles that suit them. Think you can add Knibbs who looks twice the player in a central role.

Yeah also 100%.

It was obvious, but in his defence I think Smith is the only player capable of the lone striker role. I like Ehibatioman as a young prospect, but he's not ready for such a big role and his style is more languid and less suited to chasing lost causes and pressing. The system change was only possible through Smith's return.

If anything happens to Smith or Wing, so can wave this mini revival goodbye. They should both be on the bench at most for the coming 2 Cup games.

Don't particularly agree. Kelv would be a better focal point and hold up striker. Different way of doing the same thing.

And this is far from the only solution. There were certainly alternatives with two up front.

Plus Smith has started 7 games now. USelles only started changing the formation and style about 4 games ago, and 4-2-3-1 has been basically just the last 2.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Nov 2023 09:52

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Yeah also 100%.

Don't particularly agree. Kelv would be a better focal point and hold up striker. Different way of doing the same thing.

And this is far from the only solution. There were certainly alternatives with two up front.

Plus Smith has started 7 games now. USelles only started changing the formation and style about 4 games ago, and 4-2-3-1 has been basically just the last 2.

Not getting too carried away as yet with this "revival", both Carlisle and Wycombe were atrocious (as were Shrewsbury). Barnsley will be a real test.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 Nov 2023 09:56

Silver Fox You'd have to be some sort of heartless weirdo to not enjoy the reaction from Azeez after he notched last night, lovely stuff

I feel vindicated from refraining any motivational booing when he was subbed at Shrewsbury and walked sheepishly past the away fans clapping - despite being shit and missing another sitter.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Nov 2023 10:27

Silver Fox You'd have to be some sort of heartless weirdo to not enjoy the reaction from Azeez after he notched last night, lovely stuff

Just watched the highlights and, yeah, grinned broadly at his reaction/celebration.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Nov 2023 10:43

His overall contribution has improved greatly with the change of formation and whilst a relatively straightforward chance, he showed good composure for his goal. He could easily have shanked it.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Nov 2023 10:43

Snowflake Royal
Winston Biscuit I wonder what it's like living in Carlisle. Loads of great countryside nearby so probs gr8 if you've got money and time, but also probs gash if you are young and looking to make your way in life

I thought it was surprisingly ok when I went a few years ago. But yeah probably not that much work.

There's a few big firms on the outskirts - several glue companies, of all things. Whitehaven and Workington along the coast would be worse, although the latter is becoming a hub for a lot of our renewable energy manufacturing.

Historically, Carlisle was the site of a lot of the UK's munitions factories, or at least the workers for them, and pubs there were effectively nationalised in 1916 (a temporary measure that was only lifted in 1971 ... ). This, in turn, ties into the relatively low number and poor quality of city centre boozers.

Its clearly got a huge drug problem if you look beyond the rather pretty city centre.

When the return fixture comes, it's a cracking away day. For those who want to drink, I can recommend the Settle to Carlisle train across the Dales. Perfect train beer scenery.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:05

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal It was obvious, but in his defence I think Smith is the only player capable of the lone striker role. I like Ehibatioman as a young prospect, but he's not ready for such a big role and his style is more languid and less suited to chasing lost causes and pressing. The system change was only possible through Smith's return.

Not getting too carried away as yet with this "revival", both Carlisle and Wycombe were atrocious (as were Shrewsbury). Barnsley will be a real test.

Thing is, even the "better" teams at this level aren't particularly good. Portsmouth and Bolton are genuinely good teams, and so were Oxford before Manning left. P'boro are strong and have goals in them. But otherwise, there is nobody to fear. If you're capable of scoring a couple of goals (we are), just don't do too much stupid shit and you should win games. You can even get away with 1 or 2 stupid moments in most matches, such is the level of finishing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 11:28

I’m not convinced we are playing a whole lot better than earlier in the season - there were games like Bolton, Stevenage - even some of the away games - when we played pretty well at times

Think there are a few factors which will hopefully continue working in our favour though and have made a difference . Mainly

Wing and Smith being fit and playing regularly
Knibbs more central
More defensive and solid LB in Dorsett
The likes of Azeez, Binden, Abbey having good runs in the side and improving as a result with experience
More consistency in selection

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Nov 2023 11:37

Hound I’m not convinced we are playing a whole lot better than earlier in the season - there were games like Bolton, Stevenage - even some of the away games - when we played pretty well at times

Think there are a few factors which will hopefully continue working in our favour though and have made a difference . Mainly

Wing and Smith being fit and playing regularly
Knibbs more central
More defensive and solid LB in Dorsett
The likes of Azeez, Binden, Abbey having good runs in the side and improving as a result with experience
More consistency in selection

Yeah this was my thought process as well, I don't think we were that far away really, mentioned fine margins earlier, but not just that, there just seemed to be a few little things to tweak really. The defensive solidarity at LB has helped and I think Smith and Wing coming back fit as well has helped, they improve our level massively in the spine of our team and are reliable, experienced pro's at this level.

Even looking back at some of our results during a bad spell, we were only really get edged out most of the time in games (bar Charlton) and even when looking at the Fleetwood game, they changed manager recently which can result in a bounce.

233 posts