Ex Players

3527 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by rabidbee » 05 Dec 2023 23:47

Rax
URZZZZ
Brogue Let’s be honest you don’t come through an academy like inter Milan's and play regularly for their b team unless there is some sort of raw talent there. Of course raw talent is only one of a number of metrics that a player needs to be a successful footballer. We all know that. But for whatever reason he didn’t make it here. And yes, he doesn’t appear to be pulling up any trees at Genoa. It doesn’t mean he’s shit though, he still regularly gets in the Romania team who are 48th in the world rankings - and has a fairly decent (ish) record for them. Hell, his first season here he scored he scored 14 in 42 games which is pretty decent in your first season in a new league and different country, most strikers aim for around a 1 in 3 average, one in 2 strikers are like gold dust. But like all players, they just need to find a system that suits them, and a manager who knows how to use them. This goes for any player around the world. I’m sure Sergio Aguero would have been shit for us too if we had used him as a lone striker hitting long balls into his throat all the time.

Indeed

Too many strikers are prolific elsewhere and flatter to deceive here. Can’t be a coincidence

Vydra was terrible here amd then couldn't stop scoring when he left :(

He scored nine in 36 games for us, then moved to Derby and scored five in 36 in the first season. In the following season he hit a purple patch and scored 22 in 44, but then in the following four seasons for Burnley (albeit in a higher league) he never scored more than six in one season, finishing with 12 from 97 games. In that one good season for Derby, he scored more than a fifth of his career total of goals. His season with us was far more representative of his average.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Dec 2023 08:59

I can remember being so freaking excited when we signed Vydra.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Dec 2023 09:00

Hendo I can remember being so freaking excited when we signed Vydra.

I remember my initial thought being - we've paid how much for a loan player? - he better have a fcuking incredible season

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Dec 2023 09:09

We are very good with letting some obvious talent either go, let contracts be run down, or turn excellent quality players into absolute rubbish.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Dec 2023 09:11

Stranded

I remember my initial thought being - we've paid how much for a loan player? - he better have a fcuking incredible season

Didn't care at the time, yes it was a lot of money but at the time of signing, everything pointed towards it being an absolute no-brainer. Before he came to us, he was one of the best Championship strikers going.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Dec 2023 09:17

paultheroyal We are very good with letting some obvious talent either go, let contracts be run down, or turn excellent quality players into absolute rubbish.

Our Academy could be the driving force that allows our club to compete above its weight. Instead we're seeing potential realised elsewhere with minimal financial gain for the club.

Abbey and Vickers will be next without a new owner.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Dec 2023 09:48

WestYorksRoyal
paultheroyal We are very good with letting some obvious talent either go, let contracts be run down, or turn excellent quality players into absolute rubbish.

Our Academy could be the driving force that allows our club to compete above its weight. Instead we're seeing potential realised elsewhere with minimal financial gain for the club.

Its almost like we've got an awful owner who has instigated an environment of chaos/mediocrity and short termism that has lead to us having an inability in a lot of cases to offer deals to certain players, whilst having a total churn of managers who want to bring in their own players to fight constant relegation battles.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Dec 2023 09:55

Yeah same, thought that was promotion guaranteed. I actually quite liked him as an all round player but obvs vfm wasn’t great

Osho scoring against Arsenal last night… nuts that. Thought he could make a capable champ player but he’s proving himself in the Prem instead

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Dec 2023 10:01

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

Its almost like we've got an awful owner who has instigated an environment of chaos/mediocrity and short termism that has lead to us having an inability in a lot of cases to offer deals to certain players, whilst having a total churn of managers who want to bring in their own players to fight constant relegation battles.

Agreed, thanks to that awful owner, the club are now embargoed on offering new contracts to their youngsters. One side effect of the FL's "rules" which I find particularly unnecessary and deranged

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 06 Dec 2023 11:39

Always thought Osho was decent. Glad to see him doing well in the Prem.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2023 17:37

Sutekh
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Our Academy could be the driving force that allows our club to compete above its weight. Instead we're seeing potential realised elsewhere with minimal financial gain for the club.

Agreed, thanks to that awful owner, the club are now embargoed on offering new contracts to their youngsters. One side effect of the FL's "rules" which I find particularly unnecessary and deranged

Are we? We can't pay fees for ages and we drift in and out of full embargos, but how does that actually prevent us agreeing contract extensions for existing, and young, players? Exactly?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Dec 2023 20:29

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Stranded

Are we? We can't pay fees for ages and we drift in and out of full embargos, but how does that actually prevent us agreeing contract extensions for existing, and young, players? Exactly?

Glad you asked that
Was wondering the same

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Dec 2023 20:32

There is/are threads for this.
:roll:
Back on track,

Thought Jake Taylor played well on Sunday for Eastleigh,a pretty solid ex-pro putting it about.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Dec 2023 23:04

The old Jake Taylor - Michael Hector cup double for us over the last few games.

Good lads, who were good value commentating on youth games and who seem to have done alright for themselves after graduating our academy

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Dec 2023 07:39

With Watson, Hector and Thomas in the Charlton back four in the 2nd half last night, can't be many games where we've played against more ex-players at the same time?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 07 Dec 2023 08:16

Stranded With Watson, Hector and Thomas in the Charlton back four in the 2nd half last night, can't be many games where we've played against more ex-players at the same time?

Walker on the bench made it 4

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Dec 2023 08:55

Royals and Racers
Stranded With Watson, Hector and Thomas in the Charlton back four in the 2nd half last night, can't be many games where we've played against more ex-players at the same time?

Walker on the bench made it 4

Interesting questions, any one know the answers to:

Which side have Reading played against that contained the most ex-players at any one time and
Which side have Reading played against that contained the most future players at any one time.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Dec 2023 10:40

Brentford - Reading 2002. That game.

Brentford had ingimarsson, Dobson, Owusu, Sidwell and Hunt in their starting lineup.

And Coppell was manager.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Dec 2023 10:48

seem to remember a chant against wolves back at elm pak days of 'are you Reading i disguise' not sure but think gilks and ady playing for wolves with McGhee and colin lee anyone one else?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Dec 2023 10:51

Possibly Simon Osborn as well. Maybe even Scott Taylor.

3527 posts