Selles In

614 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 13:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal It may be a controvertial opinion, and I'm not saying sacking him was the wrong call at all, but in retrospect I think Ince would have done a better job in L1 than Selles under the same circumstances. Even though he was very poor in the Champ and ignored and belittled our youth.

No in fairness I can see the logic in that to a degree. I think Ince worked with what he did last season. I don't think he necessarily wanted to play the way he did last season, I think it was the situation and the players around him that forced his hand a bit.

Ok, not a great deal more flexibility this season, but if he could have built on the foundations we wanted to set and showed at the start of last season, maybe he could have pulled in a couple of battle-hardened, experience pros for the spine of the team for example, then we maybe could have done a bit better.

It depends if he'd have trusted a couple of the academy/young players this season. Of course we are talking hypothetically, so who knows where we would have been under Ince. We could have still been 23rd and not using them as per last season.

His attitude was that the Academy players weren’t good enough, we weren't able to play football and compete with the same skill as other teams in the division and he had experienced alternatives.

I'd hope he'd have recognised that in a lower league our young players very much do have the skill and ability. And that he's the sort of nasty pcunt who would have helped them develop the nous and physical side of their game to cope.

I could certainly see him going with a solid backline and some midfield destroyers, and then the more flakey pace and skill upfront.

I think we'd have been less open under him than Selles.

End of the day he was still shit, deserved sacking and its only speculation. Maybe we'd be hovering just above the zone and similarly discontented.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Dec 2023 13:58

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal It may be a controvertial opinion, and I'm not saying sacking him was the wrong call at all, but in retrospect I think Ince would have done a better job in L1 than Selles under the same circumstances. Even though he was very poor in the Champ and ignored and belittled our youth.

No in fairness I can see the logic in that to a degree. I think Ince worked with what he did last season. I don't think he necessarily wanted to play the way he did last season, I think it was the situation and the players around him that forced his hand a bit.

Ok, not a great deal more flexibility this season, but if he could have built on the foundations we wanted to set and showed at the start of last season, maybe he could have pulled in a couple of battle-hardened, experience pros for the spine of the team for example, then we maybe could have done a bit better.

It depends if he'd have trusted a couple of the academy/young players this season. Of course we are talking hypothetically, so who knows where we would have been under Ince. We could have still been 23rd and not using them as per last season.

His attitude was that the Academy players weren’t good enough, we weren't able to play football and compete with the same skill as other teams in the division and he had experienced alternatives.

I'd hope he'd have recognised that in a lower league our young players very much do have the skill and ability. And that he's the sort of nasty pcunt who would have helped them develop the nous and physical side of their game to cope.

I could certainly see him going with a solid backline and some midfield destroyers, and then the more flakey pace and skill upfront.

I think we'd have been less open under him than Selles.

End of the day he was still shit, deserved sacking and its only speculation. Maybe we'd be hovering just above the zone and similarly discontented.

Probably a fair assessment. He wasn't great, but also wasn't helped and that would have been the same this time around as well. I'd have hoped he'd have been more open than last season, but yes I don't think we'd have been significantly better than what we are now, if at all.

With some experienced defenders and midfielders, that would probably see a couple of Binden, Abbey, Craig and Dorsett probably not see the same opportunities as they have seen this season as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2023 14:42

Dunno sometimes I think that. He did a good job up to about Xmas last year but the wheels really fell off. I think he kind of ran out of ideas

Suspect we’d have got a load of cloggers in and won a few more points. But at the start of the season most of us didn’t think we’d be bottom of the table and wanting to go that way

There was a point when we’d just signed Savage, Wing, Smith and being linked with players like Stansfield when you’d have thought Ince would have been very wrong for the role

If we knew it’d just be 4 months of firefighting he might have been a better bet

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 08 Dec 2023 17:07

Very controversial - listen back to some of his post-match interviews and how he criticized the players - these younger players would have coped even worse with that sort of criticism.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Dec 2023 17:12

Ascotexgunner He played Savage, a left footed player looking like a headless chicken, wide right, and McCleary looked about 25 again. Better opposition would have done better and punished us. Selles again proving he isnt good enough. And can anyone tell me what out tactics are? We just appear to be long ball merchants now. Messy game against a side who are short of players and a striker who came on and hasn't played competitively for 18 months.

I'm a little late tothe discussion on this one as we've been a bit busy.

I'm not suggesting that Selles is of the same standard (far from it), but there is a very successful PL/CL/Bundesliga/La Liga winner who consistently plays a very left footed player wide right.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Dec 2023 17:31

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Still 28 league games to go yet. The league season is demanding mentally and physically attritional. Maintaining a consistent level of performance is going to be difficult for some. Time to judge is with the benefit of hindsight.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 17:37

Lower West
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Still 28 league games to go yet. The league season is demanding mentally and physically attritional. Maintaining a consistent level of performance is going to be difficult for some. Time to judge is with the benefit of hindsight.

Yes, I was just thinking that injuries and fatigue will pile up for the rest of the division, as it will for us to some extent, whilst our players should be reducing their inexperience the longer it goes on, which is our biggest playing weakness.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 11 Dec 2023 09:57

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
Snowflake Royal His attitude was that the Academy players weren’t good enough, we weren't able to play football and compete with the same skill as other teams in the division and he had experienced alternatives.

Yes, I was just thinking that injuries and fatigue will pile up for the rest of the division, as it will for us to some extent, whilst our players should be reducing their inexperience the longer it goes on, which is our biggest playing weakness.

And, wearing my rose-tinted glasses, we do seem to have less injuries this year - McIntyre, Dorsett at the moment (and Dom Ballard). Is this a sign of better sports science or just a co-incidence?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Dec 2023 10:07

MartinRdg
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

And, wearing my rose-tinted glasses, we do seem to have less injuries this year - McIntyre, Dorsett at the moment (and Dom Ballard). Is this a sign of better sports science or just a co-incidence?

A few things really. For a few years, all we could sign were crocks at their end of their careers. Now, we're a relatively big club in L1 and were able to bring in Wing, Smith and Knibbs who you expect 40+ games a season, while young players should be less injury prone. Add in that 3 of our "prime" players in the Championship were Meite, Swift and Joao who always struggled with injuries.

So I think it's primarily the makeup of the squad. But Selles is a sports scientist, so I expect he's better at managing this. Perhaps he should try a job swap with our head of sports science if we can't afford a new manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2023 11:57

MartinRdg
Snowflake Royal
Lower West

Or fewer broken down decrepit players.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 11 Dec 2023 15:04

Snowflake Royal
MartinRdg
Snowflake Royal Yes, I was just thinking that injuries and fatigue will pile up for the rest of the division, as it will for us to some extent, whilst our players should be reducing their inexperience the longer it goes on, which is our biggest playing weakness.

Or fewer broken down decrepit players.

Maybe that's what it is.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Dec 2023 22:04

Honour retained against a superior side far above us in the league.

Well done Selles!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2023 22:06

The minimum I expect from the manager is to send his team out in both halves. We never left the dressing room at HT.

USelles.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 16 Dec 2023 16:56

More points on the road- well done Selles!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Dec 2023 17:07

Wigan not in great form. Win next week and it's 11 points from 6. Enough to be called a recovery?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 16 Dec 2023 18:36

Definitely playing better and a more established line-up ... not looking like a team that should be in the relegation zone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Dec 2023 18:57

WestYorksRoyal Wigan not in great form. Win next week and it's 11 points from 6. Enough to be called a recovery?

Well we need to win it first. But yes are slowly getting into the habit of picking up points regularly

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Dec 2023 22:24

We've certainly improved recently since we've played a settled side. I'm still Selles out, but feel optimistic we can survive

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Dec 2023 00:01

Royal_jimmy We've certainly improved recently since we've played a settled side. I'm still Selles out, but feel optimistic we can survive

Feel very the same but slowly creeping back towards Selles in.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Dec 2023 11:12

Royalwaster Definitely playing better and a more established line-up ... not looking like a team that should be in the relegation zone.

Dai Yongge Hold my beer

614 posts