Rival Watch

17461 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Jan 2024 11:07

I'd say it's changed a bit in recent seasons though in fairness, it seems to be a lot more teams are staying in L2 and progressing further rather than yo-yoing.

The likes of Wrexham, Stockport, Notts County have the financial advantage and others like Salford, Crawley, Fleetwood also had a helping hand through being bankrolled compared to the competition, but the likes of Sutton and Barrow have come and done well. Ok, the former in a bit of trouble now but they also seem to be in a bit of financial trouble.

I think a lot of NL outfits are more than capable of competing in L2, it's just a case of whether they can sustain in financially.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2024 11:39

Non league clubs had been pushing for an automatic promotion place for years but we're usually denied in the re-election days by the League clubs closing ranks.

The exceptions being clubs like Barrow and Workington as most clubs were happy to vote out an absolute ball ache of an away trip. Clubs like Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan who entered the league in the 70s made a pretty decent go if being league clubs. It was only really In the early days of automatic promotion that some piss poor clubs got into the league on the back of fluking a decent season and the relegated club had a more than decent chance of bouncing straight back up (Lincoln, Colchester, Darlo, Carlisle and Hartlepool all did IIRC).

I think the balance is about right now with 2 up, 2 down, although there is a bit of a financial gap developing in the National League.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2024 14:53

From Despair To Where? Non league clubs had been pushing for an automatic promotion place for years but we're usually denied in the re-election days by the League clubs closing ranks.

The exceptions being clubs like Barrow and Workington as most clubs were happy to vote out an absolute ball ache of an away trip. Clubs like Hereford, Wimbledon and Wigan who entered the league in the 70s made a pretty decent go if being league clubs. It was only really In the early days of automatic promotion that some piss poor clubs got into the league on the back of fluking a decent season and the relegated club had a more than decent chance of bouncing straight back up (Lincoln, Colchester, Darlo, Carlisle and Hartlepool all did IIRC).

I think the balance is about right now with 2 up, 2 down, although there is a bit of a financial gap developing in the National League.

Personally think it should be 3 down replaced by the top 2 plus the play off winners.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jan 2024 15:19

The NL now is probably a similar level to L2 at the turn of the century, if not better. All but 1 or 2 teams are full time, there are clubs like Oldham and Chesterfield who should never have fallen that far plus ambitious upstarts. It makes it very hard to climb out when there's just one automatic spot.

There's easily an argument forced L3 with relegation into NL North/South. Would also bring them within the EFL's financial controls, as it is currently a bit of a wild west even by the standards of English football.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2024 08:15

Charlton apparently set to announce Conor Coventry as a permanent signing today. Fee apparently £1m.

Also in for Clark-Harris from Peterborough, for around £500k.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2024 08:27

Stranded Charlton apparently set to announce Conor Coventry as a permanent signing today. Fee apparently £1m.

That's a hell of a lot for a mid-table L1 side to pay, they could be in a lot of trouble soon if it doesn't pay off.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jan 2024 09:02

Snowflake Royal
Stranded Charlton apparently set to announce Conor Coventry as a permanent signing today. Fee apparently £1m.

That's a hell of a lot for a mid-table L1 side to pay, they could be in a lot of trouble soon if it doesn't pay off.

That was my initial reaction. New owners flashing cash. Coventry is the kind of signing who could end up being worth a lot more but a big risk.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2024 11:31

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

That was my initial reaction. New owners flashing cash. Coventry is the kind of signing who could end up being worth a lot more but a big risk.

Sorry but who on earth is he, never heard of him. Is he actually any good?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2024 14:55

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

Charlton 40/1 to make top 6 and 175/1 for promotion. 13 points off 6th, so big ask, but given how shit the league is a bit of quality could make a big difference.

What happened with Clark-Harris? I thought Posh transfer listed him to give him a Championship move. Guessing no takers. Has he been playing?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Jan 2024 21:59

Didn't realise there was a League 1 game this evening - Carlisle lost. They've played 3 more than us and are still 3 points behind.

Exeter, Cheltenham and Reading all play next mid-week.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2024 06:26

morganb Didn't realise there was a League 1 game this evening - Carlisle lost. They've played 3 more than us and are still 3 points behind.

Yeah, we have a real chance to pull away from them in the next few weeks, depending on squad strength and any additional deductions of course.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2024 08:24

morganb Didn't realise there was a League 1 game this evening - Carlisle lost. They've played 3 more than us and are still 3 points behind.

Thought they were really shocking when we played them a couple of months ago. I know we've been bad in some games, but they were a different level of bad.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Jan 2024 08:37

Oh how I look forward to the day when we can look at our competitors results with the knowledge that our biggest rival is our owner.

But yes, a few results falling kindly for us since the weekend.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jan 2024 11:56

WestYorksRoyal Oh how I look forward to the day when we can look at our competitors results with the knowledge that our biggest rival is our owner.

think you need word change in there

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2024 14:54

Cheltenham v Carlisle postponed tomorrow.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 08:57

Decent win for Exeter at Bristol Rovers last night. All teams seem to be showing a bit of fight apart from Fleetwood and Carlisle who are surely done. I think quite a high points total may be needed. 50 used to be the Championship benchmark, but add in the extra relegation spot and the closeness of teams, we could be looking at 55 as the magic number this season.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 Jan 2024 10:30

WestYorksRoyal Decent win for Exeter at Bristol Rovers last night. All teams seem to be showing a bit of fight apart from Fleetwood and Carlisle who are surely done. I think quite a high points total may be needed. 50 used to be the Championship benchmark, but add in the extra relegation spot and the closeness of teams, we could be looking at 55 as the magic number this season.

Bristol Rovers Exeter is a local derby, form guides don't tend to matter in them sort of games i suspect thats just a one off tbh

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 10:34

Brogue
WestYorksRoyal Decent win for Exeter at Bristol Rovers last night. All teams seem to be showing a bit of fight apart from Fleetwood and Carlisle who are surely done. I think quite a high points total may be needed. 50 used to be the Championship benchmark, but add in the extra relegation spot and the closeness of teams, we could be looking at 55 as the magic number this season.

Bristol Rovers Exeter is a local derby, form guides don't tend to matter in them sort of games i suspect thats just a one off tbh

Exeter's recent form is 12 points from 8 games. Admittedly their other wins were against Carlisle and Wycombe, but they have also taken points off Portsmouth and Stevenage in that run. They have a bit of momentum, and we know how far that can take sides.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 24 Jan 2024 10:41

It feels a bit like teams drop a bit, realise they've dropped and put on a bit of gas for a few weeks to move away. From our point of view, there's been this group 4-6 points above us, but its different teams in a different order.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 10:49

Cliche alert. We just need to focus on ourselves. For a long time, it felt like Exeter were the only team to hunt, now we're just 5 points off 14th which is nuts. Since Shrewbury (which I still haven't got over), we've picked up 19 points from 11 which over a season is play off form. Keep that up and we'll be fine. I've no idea who would join Carlisle and Fleetwood given how close it is, but we wouldn't be one of them.

The biggest threats are the transfer window and any further points deductions for HMRC issues. If we have a decent squad on 1 February and the our penalty is suspended, we'll be fine. Basically our biggest opponent is Dai, again.

17461 posts