Selles In

614 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles In

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jan 2024 11:01

Armadillo Roadkill
Uke
WestYorksRoyal He's doing well now and has been since November. But his start wasn't simply "slow". It was an utter disaster and it could ultimately still relegate us. I think he has earned more time, but in any normal circumstances I would say 1 point from 8 is sackable form unless you have goodwill from past achievements in the bank.

With hindsight should we have sacked Brendan Rodgers? He had a similar start?

Maybe if he had shown signs of understanding things weren't working and was maybe trying to find solutions, but he seemed 100% convinced he should carry on until the world changed to suit him. His last interview with Dellor seemed to underline that, hence his sacking.

Also, with hindsight, McDermott replaced him and did a brilliant job.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2024 23:47

So, rumour is that Savage had a payrise clause in his contract triggered on 15 starts, and we couldn't afford it so stopped starting him.

Which would mean Craig was only brought in for Savage by Selles for contractual, not tactical reasons.

And now Savage has reportedly waived his payrise to play, he's immediately back to starting and Craig has been dropped.

Despite Craig's record in the run without Savage being P10, W4, D4, L2.

So is Craig now relegated to the bench despite playing a pretty big part in turning us round, and Selles just never really fancied him that much?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 01 Feb 2024 01:50

Snowflake Royal So, rumour is that Savage had a payrise clause in his contract triggered on 15 starts, and we couldn't afford it so stopped starting him.

Which would mean Craig was only brought in for Savage by Selles for contractual, not tactical reasons.

And now Savage has reportedly waived his payrise to play, he's immediately back to starting and Craig has been dropped.

So is Craig now relegated to the bench despite playing a pretty big part in turning us round, and Selles just never really fancied him that much?

I think Savage offers more going forward and his range of passing and eye for a spectacular goal is pretty good and i firmly believe he will get better with a run of games.
However, there is something about Craig!! he is so calm and assured for his age and really does look a class act at times in the middle of the park. Let's face it, the upturn in our results was right around when he started his run in the team.

This is a really difficult decision to make by Selles and having that midfield dynamo is paramount to us surviving the drop.

If it were me i would stick with Craig as i truly believe if we have a future he is the type of player to build it around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2024 07:46

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal So, rumour is that Savage had a payrise clause in his contract triggered on 15 starts, and we couldn't afford it so stopped starting him.

I think Savage offers more going forward and his range of passing and eye for a spectacular goal is pretty good and i firmly believe he will get better with a run of games.
However, there is something about Craig!! he is so calm and assured for his age and really does look a class act at times in the middle of the park. Let's face it, the upturn in our results was right around when he started his run in the team.

This is a really difficult decision to make by Selles and having that midfield dynamo is paramount to us surviving the drop.

If it were me i would stick with Craig as i truly believe if we have a future he is the type of player to build it around.

He's really good at screening the defence for someone his age, he's always popping up in just the right place to deal with danger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2024 07:52

Big fan of Craig, guess Selles felt slightly obliged to play Savage again after the wage thing

Tbf don’t think our results have been much worse since Savage began starting again. And Craig still getting plenty off the bench

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Feb 2024 09:11

Hound Big fan of Craig, guess Selles felt slightly obliged to play Savage again after the wage thing

Tbf don’t think our results have been much worse since Savage began starting again. And Craig still getting plenty off the bench

Think he also looked a bit tired recently, so having Savage as an option to start again is a bonus. With the volume of games this month, both will get plenty of minutes (if fit).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2024 09:32

Craig reminds me of a young Parky, sort of.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Feb 2024 09:42

I'm fine with Craig getting a rest. A first full season takes its toll on young players and it's not unusual to see a slump. Abbey is a great prospect, but he was not hitting his early season heights in December. So perhaps taking the heat off Craig for a bit it good management. Bindon, Craig and Dorsett are very green, even Azeez is a couple of years ahead in terms of being able to handle a full season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2024 09:56

Agree that it is probably wise swapping them around a little bit.

Also, how many yellow cards is Craig on? Feel like it is quite a few.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Feb 2024 10:06

Hendo Agree that it is probably wise swapping them around a little bit.

4 in the league. Not sure when the cut off for 5 being a ban is but probably not too far off.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2024 10:11

Stranded

4 in the league. Not sure when the cut off for 5 being a ban is but probably not too far off.

Ah it's only the first 19 games, so gone a while ago.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2024 10:29

Millsy Craig reminds me of a young Parky, sort of.

Yes, he's exactly like Parky, apart from playing and looking absolutely nothing like him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2024 10:33

Snowflake Royal
Millsy Craig reminds me of a young Parky, sort of.

Yes, he's exactly like Parky, apart from playing and looking absolutely nothing like him.

Ok but other than that...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Feb 2024 11:51

Stranded

Well past the "5 is a ban" rule now. Next "target" to avoid will be 10 yellows which must not be reached before around the 38 game mark as I recall.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 05 Feb 2024 16:31

Have to say for me the biggest priority this season (even more important than survival in league 1) was not losing to Oxford.

Selles succeeds again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Feb 2024 16:48

St Pauli Have to say for me the biggest priority this season (even more important than survival in league 1) was not losing to Oxford.

Selles succeeds again.

It's certainly nice to not let them have bragging rights and say even at our worst and your best in 20 odd years you still can't beat us.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 06 Feb 2024 21:43

No weird substitutions in the closing stages- more success from Selles!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2024 21:49

St Pauli No weird substitutions in the closing stages- more success from Selles!

I'm positive that was down to the awful conditions. But that was the right call once you got past the 80th minute and it became backs to the wall.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 06 Feb 2024 21:49

There are a lot of people eating humble pie now.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Feb 2024 21:52

24 points from 14 games since Shrewsbury.

Also 8 points from Derby, Orient, Oxford and Stevenage which is frankly ridiculous given their league positions and form.

614 posts