Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2636 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Clyde1998 » 15 May 2024 16:25

Nigel Howe has been fined £5,000 and issued an immediate six-month suspension from involvement with player contract negotiations and transfer related activity, and a further six-month suspension from all football related activity to commence upon the expiry of the first suspension.

I wonder the suspensions are that way around specifically to allow him to conclude the sale of the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2024 16:43

South Coast Royal Just another £200,000 for the club to find.
It needs a lot more than my season ticket renewal to cover this latest tale of woe.

By the way, a bot OTT about "many years developing the player" when his early years were away at Chelsea and City.

He was with us for about three/four seasons.

Three is a few, four is many.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2024 16:45

Clyde1998
Nigel Howe has been fined £5,000 and issued an immediate six-month suspension from involvement with player contract negotiations and transfer related activity, and a further six-month suspension from all football related activity to commence upon the expiry of the first suspension.

I wonder the suspensions are that way around specifically to allow him to conclude the sale of the club.

Yes, that way round isn't otherwise logical.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 15 May 2024 16:45

I don't profess to know about how these things work, but given the timing, I wondered if this was publicised today in order to ensure transparency regarding potential on-going liabilities - at least now any prospective buyer has the full facts to assess any impact before moving forwards.

Interesting to read it is in relation to the Olise contract signed in 2019 and the pressure that was brought to bear

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 May 2024 16:47

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998

Yes, that way round isn't otherwise logical.

The judgment contains an extract that the buyers wanted him as interim CEO. Can he do that with the ban on transfer related activities? Presumably if Bowen is on point for negotiations but is feeding back to Howe for approval, it's not in breach?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 17:14

The FA really don't help themselves do they? 5 years for this to be sorted plus, it seems, precedents have been much less harsh. Question has to be asked though, how did they go down this route in the first place, they must have known it's illegal. Would the agent concerned also face some form of punishment?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2024 17:18

Sutekh The FA really don't help themselves do they? 5 years for this to be sorted plus, it seems, precedents have been much less harsh. Question has to be asked though, how did they go down this route in the first place, they must have known it's illegal. Would the agent concerned also face some form of punishment?

They basically decided that the player was worth the risk of non-compliance and any expected sanction. Which they clearly expected to be light and confined to the club. Even £200k fine to the club 5 years ago probably seemed trivial compare to the potential benefits.

Or tried to use trickery to work round the restriction and failed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 May 2024 17:21

I personally can't criticise the club for doing everything to sign a talent like Olise from our academy. His agent had us by the balls and we met his terms. It was vindicated; he played great football that gave us a chance of the PL, before bringing us £8m and quite possibly another £5m this summer.

The villain here is the agent who insisted on illegal clauses being inserted; why is there not a licensing system which allows the authorities to revoke his licence?

I get there is a counter argument that we could have called his bluff and told him it was an illegal clause which nobody else would have agreed to. But there is a more than reasonable chance that another club would have been willing to take the risk. And he's still the main villain of the piece for forcing us to make that decision.

He should immediately be sacked, with a more honest agent given the chance to make ££££s out of Olise's next big move.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 17:24

Really hoping this sort of thing will become unecessary, or at least become much easier and fairer for all to manage, with an independant reguulator.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2024 17:25

The agent's been suspended for 6 months so it Olise moves this summer, he's kind of oxf*rd himself.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 May 2024 17:26

From Despair To Where? The agent's been suspended for 6 months so it Olise moves this summer, he's kind of oxf*rd himself.

Ban starts in October so as not to interfere this summer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 17:28

From Despair To Where? The agent's been suspended for 6 months so it Olise moves this summer, he's kind of oxf*rd himself.

Could be bad indeed for him, grapevine suggest that Liverpool may well be plotting a move to hijack the "Olise to United" rumour. So a possible bidding war is the last thing he'll want if that's the case.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2024 17:58

WestYorksRoyal

Ban starts in October so as not to interfere this summer.

Fair enough. That will teach me to just read the headline.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 May 2024 18:05

So fine the club and punish NH immediately but give the agent 6 months grace, that sounds fair.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 May 2024 18:43

I can’t say I am happy about the club getting more bad publicity and a £200k fine. However, if we get another £5m if/when Palace sell Olise, happy days.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 15 May 2024 18:47

windermereROYAL So fine the club and punish NH immediately but give the agent 6 months grace, that sounds fair.

Presumably this is because he might already be negotiating on behalf of a bunch of players who might be oxf*rd over through no fault of their own if they suddenly have to sign up with new agents whilst hoping any deals under discussion can just be picked up again.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 15 May 2024 19:05

As he's about to become extravagantly rich and his time at Reading was a major part of making that possible, perhaps Michael would like to pay some or all of the fine himself?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2024 21:05

Armadillo Roadkill As he's about to become extravagantly rich and his time at Reading was a major part of making that possible, perhaps Michael would like to pay some or all of the fine himself?

:lol:

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 15 May 2024 22:17

So when Bowen said there wasn't a sell on clause he wasn't telling the truth?.....

I'm shocked...

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 15 May 2024 22:34

Linden Jones' Tash So when Bowen said there wasn't a sell on clause he wasn't telling the truth?.....

I'm shocked...

I’m reading the FA decision to mean the agent got 10% of what the club received for Olise when we sold him to Palace (or would’ve done if the clause was active) - I can’t see any reference to a sell on fee should Palace sell him (someone point it out if I’ve missed it).

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/the ... final.ashx

2636 posts