The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7830 posts
Crusader Royal

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Crusader Royal » 23 May 2024 12:40

South Coast Royal
RG30
United move for Mpofu

United are looking at the long-term future by signing Scotland Under-15s forward Camron Mpofu from Reading in time for him to join the academy next season.

Though born in Scotland, Mpofu moved south with his family and went to school in Berkshire, joining Reading in 2021 after a successful six-week trial. He has been tracked by a number of clubs after excelling in youth football, and Scotland called him into their Under-15s squad for games against Spain and Hong Kong in Murcia three weeks ago.

Mpofu’s family are expected to relocate with their son to the north-west with United hoping they have a future star on their hands.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13442961/MAN-UNITED-CONFIDENTIAL-65m-Premier-League-Alejandro-Garnacho-Erik-ten-Hag.html

Family relocating to the North-West before the son has left school in the vague hope that he will one day make it.
Their choice of course and I wish the boy well but bringing up children (any others in the family?) is more than just hoping that they become a professional footballer when so few succeed IMHO.

They will be provided with accommodation, places at fee paying schools and financial incentives no doubt. Depending on their situation currently it could be a significant opportunity for them in many ways.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 May 2024 14:14

Crusader Royal
South Coast Royal

Family relocating to the North-West before the son has left school in the vague hope that he will one day make it.
Their choice of course and I wish the boy well but bringing up children (any others in the family?) is more than just hoping that they become a professional footballer when so few succeed IMHO.

They will be provided with accommodation, places at fee paying schools and financial incentives no doubt. Depending on their situation currently it could be a significant opportunity for them in many ways.

Until he gets dropped at the end of his contract anyway....

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 May 2024 14:27

Royals and Racers Only surprise for me is Harvey Collins but we have a lot of keepers.
I know he had a bad injury last season but i hope Kiyan Coke Miles Smith is still with the club.

Fair play to Reading FC Academy who replied to my email telling me that in fact Kiyan CMS is actually U 17’s and has been retained which is great news and hopefully will fully recover from the injuries.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 May 2024 14:50

Harvey Maunder never regained his best form after that serious injury, shame as he was a talented player.

Do think Jahmari Clarke is a better prospect than Jeremiah Okine-Peters but he hasn't pushed on the way he needed to.

Only five u18s stepping up is low, but shouldn't be too surprising given how poorly this batch of U18s did (combined with losing a few good players already). Last time we had such a small group step up, one of them went on to make 100 appearances for us.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 May 2024 16:50

morganb ACADEMY RETAINED LIST CONFIRMED

So, we've either retained or offered a new deal to everyone who was in the U21 squad vs Sunderland except Carson (who we knew about anyway), Paul and Collins. Sackey isn't listed, but I imagine he's on a youth contract.

Collins going isn't much of a surprise to me, especially as he'll be overage next season and we've got a huge amount of goalkeepers in the first team squad currently.

Royals and Racers Only surprise for me is Harvey Collins but we have a lot of keepers.
I know he had a bad injury last season but i hope Kiyan Coke Miles Smith is still with the club.

I think Coke-Miles-Smith, if I've got his age right (17 currently), would be on a youth contract, so wouldn't be included on this list (fairly certain it only relates to players on professional contracts).

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 May 2024 18:39

Clyde1998

So, we've either retained or offered a new deal to everyone who was in the U21 squad vs Sunderland except Carson (who we knew about anyway), Paul and Collins. Sackey isn't listed, but I imagine he's on a youth contract.

Collins going isn't much of a surprise to me, especially as he'll be overage next season and we've got a huge amount of goalkeepers in the first team squad currently.

I think Coke-Miles-Smith, if I've got his age right (17 currently), would be on a youth contract, so wouldn't be included on this list (fairly certain it only relates to players on professional contracts).

2 posts up i added to my post with more info about CMS.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 May 2024 19:05

Royals and Racers
Clyde1998

2 posts up i added to my post with more info about CMS.

Fantastic. He's one of the younger players who I've heard a lot of good things about.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 May 2024 17:01

Tottenham PL 2 Champions- beat Sunderland 3-1 today

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jun 2024 10:01

Clyde1998
Stranded Apparently one of the trialists who played over the weekend is 18yo Spurs midfielder Billy Heaps.

Which may be my new favourite footballer name.

The Tottenham website says:
Billy Heaps hails from Stevenage and played for his home-town club before joining us as a 13-year-old.

A talented central midfielder, he attended Marriotts School and, in 2020/21, came up with seven goals and five assists for our Under-16 side.

He has also attended training camps with England Under-16s and Under-17s.

Heaps confirmed as leaving Spurs, so will be interesting* to see if we follow up on our interest or not.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 Jun 2024 14:44

Stranded
Clyde1998
Stranded Apparently one of the trialists who played over the weekend is 18yo Spurs midfielder Billy Heaps.

Which may be my new favourite footballer name.

The Tottenham website says:
Billy Heaps hails from Stevenage and played for his home-town club before joining us as a 13-year-old.

A talented central midfielder, he attended Marriotts School and, in 2020/21, came up with seven goals and five assists for our Under-16 side.

He has also attended training camps with England Under-16s and Under-17s.

Heaps confirmed as leaving Spurs, so will be interesting* to see if we follow up on our interest or not.

I doubt there's a budget at the moment for the academy to sign players (waiting on a takeover for that), but I'd be surprised if we're not wanting to sign him.

7830 posts