Ex Players

3325 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ex Players

by South Coast Royal » 26 May 2024 12:05

Sutekh James Henry (now 34) released by the Ox. Wonder if he might end up back here?

In our first Premier League season I was fortunate (not so fortunate for him :wink: ) to be sat next to Steve Coppell at the League Managers Association annual dinner at Stamford Bridge.

He was very open when we talked about individual players and about young James Henry (bearing in mind the sort of winger Coppell was himself) he had reservations because he failed to track back and help out the defence and , despite his ability on the ball, he might not succeed unless he learned to do that.

James has had a reasonable career but possibly could have done better and although we ended up with a winger in Glen Little who also didn't track back much I guess his dribbling skills and passing ability made up for it.

Although he never lived up to expectations I remember a game away at Spurs where Halford was really exposed at right-back as he received no defensive help at all from Little and Spurs scored 6 (IIRC we scored 4?).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2024 12:22

South Coast Royal
Sutekh James Henry (now 34) released by the Ox. Wonder if he might end up back here?

In our first Premier League season I was fortunate (not so fortunate for him :wink: ) to be sat next to Steve Coppell at the League Managers Association annual dinner at Stamford Bridge.

He was very open when we talked about individual players and about young James Henry (bearing in mind the sort of winger Coppell was himself) he had reservations because he failed to track back and help out the defence and , despite his ability on the ball, he might not succeed unless he learned to do that.

James has had a reasonable career but possibly could have done better and although we ended up with a winger in Glen Little who also didn't track back much I guess his dribbling skills and passing ability made up for it.

Although he never lived up to expectations I remember a game away at Spurs where Halford was really exposed at right-back as he received no defensive help at all from Little and Spurs scored 6 (IIRC we scored 4?).

I think more pertinent to Henry would be Kebe. As it was Kebe who was in place when Henry was of an age to break through and left iirc.

Kebe wasn't exactly known for tracking back either. At the time I remember preferring Henry as he seemed a more consistent performer, and consistency is something I rate very highly. Then Kebe turned into a genius and Henry had a good but not special career, proving me firmly wrong wrongity wrong.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 May 2024 14:35

Kebe was a weird one. It was like someone one day flicked a switch and it all suddenly just clicked. I've never seen a player transform so dramatically, so quickly.

I presume it was all down to McDermott.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 26 May 2024 15:13

Wasn’t it because his contract was running down?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 May 2024 16:56

From Despair To Where? Kebe was a weird one. It was like someone one day flicked a switch and it all suddenly just clicked. I've never seen a player transform so dramatically, so quickly.

I presume it was all down to McDermott.

This. Thought he was utter cr@p until things just suddenly started falling into place with him after that Doncaster home win. And legend status achieved after sockgate and Collins' attempted assassination of him.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 May 2024 19:22

Curo now manager of Cambridge City

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 26 May 2024 21:12

AthleticoSpizz Curo now manager of Cambridge City

News just in ... Posh are down to 10.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 May 2024 22:10

South Coast Royal

I'm afraid one of us is getting separate things mixed up. By the time of that dinner, Little would have already played 95% of the games he'd ever play for us. So it wasn't so much "we'd end up with Little" as "we'd already been using Little".

The match Halford played at White Hart Lane was a narrow 1-0 defeat due to Halford handling in the area to give away a penalty. Graham's match report does mention we were under a lot of pressure throughout the match, and it was Little in front of him.

The 6-4 game was a year later. Murty was at right back and Hunt on the right wing - say what you like about Hunt but he couldn't be accused of not putting a shift in. My memory of that game was that it was basically Kitson vs Berbatov, and Defoe scored a goal that should have been disallowed for encroachment. Murty and Sonko were both dreadful.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2024 09:33

SCIAG
South Coast Royal

I'm afraid one of us is getting separate things mixed up. By the time of that dinner, Little would have already played 95% of the games he'd ever play for us. So it wasn't so much "we'd end up with Little" as "we'd already been using Little".

The match Halford played at White Hart Lane was a narrow 1-0 defeat due to Halford handling in the area to give away a penalty. Graham's match report does mention we were under a lot of pressure throughout the match, and it was Little in front of him.

The 6-4 game was a year later. Murty was at right back and Hunt on the right wing - say what you like about Hunt but he couldn't be accused of not putting a shift in. My memory of that game was that it was basically Kitson vs Berbatov, and Defoe scored a goal that should have been disallowed for encroachment. Murty and Sonko were both dreadful.

Yep totally crazy game that, which saw us lead 2-1, 3-2 and 4-3. Defoe's goal off the rebound of a missed penalty should not have stood but broke the team at that point, Berbatov scoring a 4th to kill the game off. VAR would have ruled it out but I think we would still have lost that day anyway.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 May 2024 10:21

SCIAG
South Coast Royal

I'm sure you are right as over the years games often merge into one but I do remember our right side being over-run in that 6-4 game.
Maybe it was in that other game where I felt that Glen gave no help to Halford.

After that crazy game at Spurs I do remember Kitson being spoken of as a possible England player.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 27 May 2024 17:39

We’re delighted to confirm that exciting attacking midfielder Josh Barrett has signed on for the 24/25 season!

Barrett joined the Shots in January 2024 and scored two goals; including a brilliant free-kick in the last minute of our final game of the season against Dagenham & Redbridge.

On signing his new deal, Barrett said: “I’m delighted to have signed for the upcoming season!”

“I’m really excited to get going again and hope for another great season for the club. I Look forward to seeing everyone at the EBB soon.”

Tommy Widdrington added: “I think everyone will be pleased to hear that Josh is to extend his stay here at Aldershot.”

“Having worked with him for some time I, more than most, believe I know how he works/ticks and he’s very aware of how I operate and of what I expect from him.”

“JB (Josh Barrett) knows this is a big season for him as he missed a lot of the early part of last season with a foot injury – I expect his all round fitness levels to be as good as he can achieve as when he’s fit and flying he is a massive asset to any side.”

“We all saw glimpses of his ability towards the back end of the last campaign and I’m sure, working together, we will see more!”

Congratulations, Josh!

https://www.shotsweb.site/shotsweb/viewtopic.php?t=56976&sid=9e950cb5a01ccebdd5dc1fa424ce0be1

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 May 2024 19:24

Many congratulations to our ex goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy, for getting promotion to the Premier League with Southampton yesterday; I hope he gets his chance as their first choice keeper next season.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 27 May 2024 19:52

Many congratulations to our ex goalkeeper, Joe Lumley, for getting promotion to the Premier League with Southampton yesterday; I hope he gets his chance as their back up keeper next season

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 May 2024 21:36

Mr Angry Many congratulations to our ex goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy, for getting promotion to the Premier League with Southampton yesterday; I hope he gets his chance as their first choice keeper next season.

Much as I’d like to think that, I don’t think there’s much chance of it happening

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 May 2024 09:16

Ejaria was training with Sheff W back end of last season with a view to signing

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 May 2024 09:30

South Coast Royal
SCIAG
South Coast Royal

I'm sure you are right as over the years games often merge into one but I do remember our right side being over-run in that 6-4 game.
Maybe it was in that other game where I felt that Glen gave no help to Halford.

After that crazy game at Spurs I do remember Kitson being spoken of as a possible England player.

I know what you mean. I find our three years in the top flight stand out more than a lot of fairly similar years in the second and third tiers.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 May 2024 07:29

Mr Angry Many congratulations to our ex goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy, for getting promotion to the Premier League with Southampton yesterday; I hope he gets his chance as their first choice keeper next season.

Looks like he's out of contract, with Celtic and Liverpool interested: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/liverpool-c ... x-mccarthy

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2024 11:05

Clyde1998

Looks like he's out of contract, with Celtic and Liverpool interested: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/liverpool-c ... x-mccarthy

Liverpool have been linked before, Celtic are also after Kelleher so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 May 2024 11:15

Sutekh
Clyde1998

Liverpool have been linked before, Celtic are also after Kelleher so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think Kelleher makes more sense for Celtic, as he could be their goalkeeper for the next five-to-ten years. McCarthy would only be a short term option.

biff

by biff » 29 May 2024 11:24

RG30
We’re delighted to confirm that exciting attacking midfielder Josh Barrett has signed on for the 24/25 season!

Barrett joined the Shots in January 2024 and scored two goals; including a brilliant free-kick in the last minute of our final game of the season against Dagenham & Redbridge.

On signing his new deal, Barrett said: “I’m delighted to have signed for the upcoming season!”

“I’m really excited to get going again and hope for another great season for the club. I Look forward to seeing everyone at the EBB soon.”

Tommy Widdrington added: “I think everyone will be pleased to hear that Josh is to extend his stay here at Aldershot.”

“Having worked with him for some time I, more than most, believe I know how he works/ticks and he’s very aware of how I operate and of what I expect from him.”

“JB (Josh Barrett) knows this is a big season for him as he missed a lot of the early part of last season with a foot injury – I expect his all round fitness levels to be as good as he can achieve as when he’s fit and flying he is a massive asset to any side.”

“We all saw glimpses of his ability towards the back end of the last campaign and I’m sure, working together, we will see more!”

Congratulations, Josh!

https://www.shotsweb.site/shotsweb/viewtopic.php?t=56976&sid=9e950cb5a01ccebdd5dc1fa424ce0be1

Spoke to the scout that spotted him at a match, they was less than impressed at how fat he got as a pro

3325 posts