Olise

129 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Olise

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2024 09:08

Stranded
Franchise FC Far be it for me to criticise Chelsea’s transfer policy, but with quite possibly the signing of the season 2023/24 playing in exactly the position that Olise plays, this doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense

Unless Palmer is off to Real Madrid or Barcelona, of course

Chelsea don't have a transfer policy.

They do. They employ the "kid in a sweetshop" model.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jun 2024 10:28

Often read articles that Olise has his head screwed on and only wants to leave Palace for Champions League football. There's a good chance he's not interested in Chelsea. They don't have an obvious plan for their team and player developers. Why move to a club who could take you backwards at such a critical stage? Short term payrise for long term harm.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2024 10:40

WestYorksRoyal Often read articles that Olise has his head screwed on and only wants to leave Palace for Champions League football. There's a good chance he's not interested in Chelsea. They don't have an obvious plan for their team and player developers. Why move to a club who could take you backwards at such a critical stage? Short term payrise for long term harm.

esp. given rumours of ManU and Liverpool being interested, oh well perhaps he is just more interested in money.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2024 10:47

Maybe he wants to stay in London

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 11 Jun 2024 15:55

Olise's brother Richard is currently on the books at Chelsea so that might be a factor.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jun 2024 16:28

So more financial outgoings for Cheatsea, just when they're expected to be selling. If it did happen it'd be hilarious if the PL stepped in and stopped it (which is something all leagues should be doing to clubs that are "overstretching themselves").

Meanwhile though this does remain no more than gossip, so could be complete ******** anyway.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Jun 2024 18:41

More concrete rumours coming in to corroborate. I think this is better news for Dai than Reading FC, sadly. Having worked on a few M&A deals in my time, the consideration is often adjusted for cash within the business. E.g., if the club has an extra £5m cash, the price goes up £5m and it's fairly uncontroversial as the buyer will be getting their hands on the money in the business.

So basically by hanging around long enough, Dai has banked any sell on money for himself.

Obviously it keeps the wolf from the door a bit longer if the sale drags, so a smidgen of good news in there.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 12 Jun 2024 04:19

WestYorksRoyal More concrete rumours coming in to corroborate. I think this is better news for Dai than Reading FC, sadly. Having worked on a few M&A deals in my time, the consideration is often adjusted for cash within the business. E.g., if the club has an extra £5m cash, the price goes up £5m and it's fairly uncontroversial as the buyer will be getting their hands on the money in the business.

So basically by hanging around long enough, Dai has banked any sell on money for himself.

Obviously it keeps the wolf from the door a bit longer if the sale drags, so a smidgen of good news in there.

It won't all be up front though. Say it's a £60m deal and we get 10% (both to keep the numbers simple), we'd get £6m total - which will be split up something like £3m in year one; £1.5m in year two; £1.5m in year three.

I don't know how that would affect the value of the club compared to getting everything up front.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 12 Jun 2024 09:19

WestYorksRoyal More concrete rumours coming in to corroborate. I think this is better news for Dai than Reading FC, sadly. Having worked on a few M&A deals in my time, the consideration is often adjusted for cash within the business. E.g., if the club has an extra £5m cash, the price goes up £5m and it's fairly uncontroversial as the buyer will be getting their hands on the money in the business.

I'd be inclined (or should that read hope?) to think this was all covered by the due diligence process and will be factored in to the offer price. It won't be a surprise, and Dai won't be able to simply take the money and run as it is part of the deal, although of course it's good news for him.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jun 2024 09:39

Who Moved The Goalposts?

I'd be inclined (or should that read hope?) to think this was all covered by the due diligence process and will be factored in to the offer price. It won't be a surprise, and Dai won't be able to simply take the money and run as it is part of the deal, although of course it's good news for him.

In the winter/spring, it was a possibility. If it becomes a certainty, it moves the dial. But certainty could make it simpler instead as everyone knows where they stand. There are other possible sell on clauses out there, but surely none as big ticket as Olise? Abbey was a great talent but won't be going for £60m+ any time soon.

As noted above, it won't all land at once, but the buyer will have c. £5m guaranteed income over 3 years or so.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jun 2024 10:54

Unless the prospective buyers had all that factored into their offer, in which case they may wish to decrease their bid by £5m.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Jun 2024 12:44

£5 - £6 million over 5 years is small change given football finances today. Not enough to transform the club's fortunes overnight.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jun 2024 13:30

Clyde1998

It won't all be up front though. Say it's a £60m deal and we get 10% (both to keep the numbers simple), we'd get £6m total - which will be split up something like £3m in year one; £1.5m in year two; £1.5m in year three.

I don't know how that would affect the value of the club compared to getting everything up front.

Any % payments would presumably be split to match the payment plan agreed between Palace and Cheatsea. So if it was £5m a year for 5 years then Reading would get a small payent for the next 5 years (or at least until Cheatsea are declared bankrupt anyway).

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jun 2024 14:46

Lower West £5 - £6 million over 5 years is small change given football finances today. Not enough to transform the club's fortunes overnight.

At our level, £1m a year can cover the wages for 3 or 4 of your best players. We're talking about the likes of Wing, Smith and Knibbs. Big deal for us.

On Strings

by On Strings » 12 Jun 2024 14:48

WestYorksRoyal Often read articles that Olise has his head screwed on and only wants to leave Palace for Champions League football. There's a good chance he's not interested in Chelsea. They don't have an obvious plan for their team and player developers. Why move to a club who could take you backwards at such a critical stage? Short term payrise for long term harm.

Who really cares? We desperately need that 10%. He can go to the Moon for all I care.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 12 Jun 2024 15:27

Sutekh
Clyde1998

Any % payments would presumably be split to match the payment plan agreed between Palace and Cheatsea. So if it was £5m a year for 5 years then Reading would get a small payent for the next 5 years (or at least until Cheatsea are declared bankrupt anyway).

Any % payment to us will be based on whatever our contact with Palace says, not what their agreement with anyone else says.
So if our contract says x% of headline profit to be paid on completion of deal with x% of add ons to be paid as they occur then that’s what it will be.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 13 Jun 2024 15:18

Various well respected newspaper outlets reporting that Chelsea have opened talks with Crystal Palace.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jun 2024 10:27

Sutekh So more financial outgoings for Cheatsea, just when they're expected to be selling. If it did happen it'd be hilarious if the PL stepped in and stopped it (which is something all leagues should be doing to clubs that are "overstretching themselves").

Meanwhile though this does remain no more than gossip, so could be complete ******** anyway.
Chelsea sold land assets such as the hotel to another company with the same owners to bridge the gap.
This is legal in the Premier League, not in the EFL which is mostly how we got into this mess we find ourselves in.

As for player sales, the amortised the player transfer costs over 5 or 6 years so if they sold a player they would have to recognize the remaining 4 or 5 years of the costs now, This is why they sold Mason Mount, he cost them nothing so it was 100% accounting profit.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jun 2024 10:28

RG30 Various well respected newspaper outlets reporting that Chelsea have opened talks with Crystal Palace.
Possible ground share for when they sell of Stamford Bridge to cover their transfer spending costs :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jun 2024 10:47

Forbury Lion
Sutekh So more financial outgoings for Cheatsea, just when they're expected to be selling. If it did happen it'd be hilarious if the PL stepped in and stopped it (which is something all leagues should be doing to clubs that are "overstretching themselves").

Chelsea sold land assets such as the hotel to another company with the same owners to bridge the gap.
This is legal in the Premier League, not in the EFL which is mostly how we got into this mess we find ourselves in.

As for player sales, the amortised the player transfer costs over 5 or 6 years so if they sold a player they would have to recognize the remaining 4 or 5 years of the costs now, This is why they sold Mason Mount, he cost them nothing so it was 100% accounting profit.

:roll: This exactly why football needs cleaning up, it is not acceptable to have two sets of financial rules governing what is effectively the same competition. IMO, the whole financial profit and sustainability governance should be run by an independent company that is dedicated to monitoring these processes across the whole 92 clubs and can flag up possible issues and breaches before they become serious.

129 posts