A message from BBC Radio Berkshire

301 posts
thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 15:18

We're up to 282 already.. we need to be closer to 1000 by Monday.... these things CAN BE CHANGED... if the club see that a big proportion of their own fans feel completely disenfranchised by this decision and are appalled by the short-sighted treatment of their loyal fanbase they can change their mind.

Keep on signing guys... we need 1000 by Monday. Also protest to the EP via the link above ... if we get 1000 names we might get a BIG FEATURE in the EP on monday.

ITS NOT TOO LATE... COME ON URRZZZZZZZZ

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... i?BBCBERKS

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jul 2006 15:41

From Despair To Where? Normally I run a mile when I see an outside broadcaster sporting a microphone but I might just hunt out Reading 107 at the Middlesbrough game and would encourage everyone to make them unbroadcastable. I don't mean swearing or being abusive, just point out how BBC Berks are so much better and the decision to deny them broadcasting rights is a travesty.

LOL let's run their interviewers out of town!!

Could also hold a pre-match protest outside their office - very conveniently situated at the Mad Stad I believe!

LimpBiscuit

by LimpBiscuit » 22 Jul 2006 16:15

From Despair To Where? Normally I run a mile when I see an outside broadcaster sporting a microphone but I might just hunt out Reading 107 at the Middlesbrough game and would encourage everyone to make them unbroadcastable. I don't mean swearing or being abusive, just point out how BBC Berks are so much better and the decision to deny them broadcasting rights is a travesty.

And run the risk of being banned from the ground by the increasingly totalitarian regime that is ruining our club.

mattyougg

by mattyougg » 22 Jul 2006 16:22

Such a same, i really liked the bbc commentary. Joel + Tim are both great commentators.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jul 2006 16:28

LimpBiscuit

And run the risk of being banned from the ground by the increasingly totalitarian regime that is ruining our club.

Would they really want all the bad publicity that would inevitably attract - I can see both the BBC and Sky making a good story out of it?

LimpBiscuit

by LimpBiscuit » 22 Jul 2006 16:40

RoyalBlue
LimpBiscuit

Would they really want all the bad publicity that would inevitably attract - I can see both the BBC and Sky making a good story out of it?

I was being ironic, but I guess you realise where I'm coming from. If you think they care about our opinions, then I think you may also believe in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2006 16:43

I didn't mean hang around hassling them, I meant trying to get them to interview me and just open up with the opinion that the decision to exclude BBC Berks is a joke. I have no problem with Reading 107 being able to broadcast live commentaries. I have a major problem with BBC Berks being excluded.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jul 2006 17:28

LimpBiscuit
RoyalBlue
LimpBiscuit

I was being ironic, but I guess you realise where I'm coming from. If you think they care about our opinions, then I think you may also believe in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy.

Not since I caught him shagging the tooth fairy!

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 19:44

For those of you who feel we're pi$$ing in the wind.....

We're up to 318... COME ON... SIGN UP....

It isn't impossible... see below article...

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/s ... 77,00.html

'Companies like McDonald's, lock manufacturer Kryptonite and computer firm Dell have all fallen foul of internet buzz in recent years. Because search engines like Google can allow grassroots campaigns to become highly visible, industry insiders agree decisions can be shaped by a small number of activists.

"It's always been the case that vocal minorities are listened to by media organisations, brands, advertisers and marketers - normally because they're thought to represent a wider swath of opinion," said Tom Coates, a technologist with Yahoo! and prominent blogger.

"TV and radio programmes are censored or pulled on the green-inked letters of a few hundred people, products removed from shelves because of less than 100 complaints.

"On that basis, these figures start to sound like a pretty large number of people, and probably a much more representative sample than perhaps before."

Mr Reynolds admits the idea of small groups being able to pressurise wider decisions is nothing new, but those who ignore online buzz do so at their peril: "You can bury your head in the sand, but very quickly you'll look like a very old-fashioned company."

Fox5

by Fox5 » 22 Jul 2006 20:06

could someone e-mail the potition to BBCRB?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Jul 2006 20:34

I appreciate the sentiments but this petition is a total waste of time to ne honest. Money talks, internet petitions don't.

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 22 Jul 2006 20:40

thefruits
Keep on signing guys... we need 1000 by Monday. Also protest to the EP via the link above ... if we get 1000 names we might get a BIG FEATURE in the EP on monday.

If the EP get involved and they want an interview, they know who to come to, the petition owner :wink:

Fox5 could someone e-mail the potition to BBCRB?

Have done, and Joel emailed me back quite quickly.

The gist of the email is keep up the support, they need all the help they can get.

CocoPops

by CocoPops » 22 Jul 2006 20:40

floyd__streete I appreciate the sentiments but this petition is a total waste of time to ne honest. Money talks, internet petitions don't.

What have we got to loose?
2mins in signing it? Not much really is it?

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 20:41

floyd__streete I appreciate the sentiments but this petition is a total waste of time to ne honest. Money talks, internet petitions don't.

Sorry but I disagree... imagine if we can get over between 500-1000 signatures and a front page Evening Post story on Monday due to the fury of the Reading fans at being completely shafted by the club. Don't think of the ones who have season tickets.. think of those who have been loyal Reading fans through the years, those who due to age / financial constraints / simply living outside the central Reading area etc.. who will no longer be able to listen to first class commentary on the Royals.

We must show Mr Mad that this is a stupid / short sighted idea that smacks of sticking 2 fingers up against many thousands of people who have followed Reading through the years but are now being dis-enfranchised.

To simply say that it is not worth the effort is a very sad and worryingly easy response.

Sign the petition and lets see what we can do.

We've over 325 signatures already... triple what we had only 24 hours ago.

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 20:51

Actually browsing the fans opinions on the petition makes very salutary reading. Real fans are completely disgusted with this action.

I hope that some of you will join me in letting Hilary Scott at the Evening Post know that this petition exists, that it is gaining strength by the hour, that the FANS are completely furious at the clubs arrogance.

Email Hilary Scott here hscott@reading-epost.co.uk

Remember its not for those who can visit every game. Its for those who cant. Reading 107 is a poxy station that nobody wants to listen to and is one that people outside of the immediate Central Reading area will be unable to listen to.

And don't fall for the internet Reading World option. How many elderly / young / not super rich normal people can afford to subscribe to this service and how practical is it...

Can you wash your car whilst sitting in front of the computer ?
Can you sit in the garden whilst sitting in front of the computer ?
Can you listen to the commentary in the car ?
Or in the house whilst doing more important things .. like having a life ?

Er... NO.

As a season ticket holder I'm not actually that inconvenienced.

Others are though. That does my head in.

Rant over.

TF

CocoPops

by CocoPops » 22 Jul 2006 21:03

Email sent:
I would like to voice my opinion over the decision Reading FC have made by choosing Reading107's dire football coverage over the fantastic coverage provided by BBC Radio Berkshire.

I also find it incredible, that at a time when RFC needs all the fans, is limiting it's coverage by choosing a radio station that has very limited range.

I hope that you'll view our petition and help to publicise the issue.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... BBCBERKS&1

I live in Bicester, Oxfordshire and rely on the increased range of BBC Radio Berks to listen to the games I cannot attend. There is no way I can ever hope to receive 107FM in Bicester :(

Kind Regards,

RFC Season Ticket Holder
Bicester
Oxon

Granted, it may not acheive anything, but it hardly took a great amount of time to write.

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:13

Here's my email sent to Hilary....

Hilary,

Hopefully by now you’ve heard of the petition that is quickly gaining pace to try and influence Reading Football club to change their mind to award exclusive broadcast rights to Reading 107.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... BBCBERKS&1

By 7pm on Friday night we had just over 100 signatures.. we’re now approaching 350 some 24 hours later. I hope that by the time you read this on Monday we’ll be approaching 1000.

Please can you register our petition and please look through the comments that Real Reading fans have made about this decision.

I believe that this is a short sighted, petty, ill-thought through and severely misjudged move and should be retracted at once.

From what I understand the BBCRB team who have ‘been LOYAL to the Royals’ through thick and thin are completely gutted at the decision which has been made.

As a season ticket holder I shouldn’t give a monkeys but I do as I’m more fortunate than many.

The reasons why it’s a dumb decision

Reading 107 cannot be heard in Newbury, Thatcham, Basingstoke, Maidenhead, Henley, Wokingham, Bracknell.. need I go on.

Actually it cannot be heard outside the IDR ! This is not going to change

The club are responding by saying that we can all sit in front of our computers instead and listen over the internet (for a FEE)

Lets think about this for a moment… fans who.. don’t have computers.. or the internet.. or are in hospital… or are in their cars.. or are trying to live their lives as well as keep up to date with their local team.

Ask any fans who helped to cement the teams popularity with the people of Reading last year and for many prior years and it was the BBCRB coverage. ‘Loyal to the Royals’ means something to some of us.

You’ll see other similar comments on the hobnob thread…http://www.royals.org/.. A message from BBC Radio Berkshire

Kind Regards,

***************… known as thefruits on hobnob

Season Ticket holder for 29 years

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Jul 2006 21:16

STH 29 years? Fair play to you.

ps was Neil Webb on BBC or 107?

thefruits

by thefruits » 22 Jul 2006 21:17

By the way .. in case anyone is wondering why I've deleted my name from the email posted here (obviously kept it on the original email) its because it wouldn't surprise me if the club decided to ban supporters who disagree with the almighty power of Nigel Howe. Any protestors at the ground.. any sign of banners saying no to Reading 107 would be met with the strong arm of Mr Mad's laws. As a season ticket holder for so many years it would gut me if I were to be expelled from the club I've followed for so long due to my fierce support for a cause for those less fortunate.

TF

Legend

by Legend » 22 Jul 2006 21:20

thefruits
Reading 107 cannot be heard in Wokingham

I bet she laughed at your e-mail

301 posts