support to RFC & Seol from Seoul :)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: support to RFC & Seol from Seoul :)

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2006 10:29

bobby m's syrup
SpaceCruiser
Spirit of Elm Park Cant beleive this is being discussed on a football forum :lol:

Why not? Always nice to have some historical discussion on here. ;)

Spirit of Elm Park FWIW I always believed it came from the viking gods name Rohdin(sp?), Reading was actually seen as the capital of England for a period around the time of the abbeys construction.

Now I like the sound of that, Reading as the capital of England! :lol:

Reading was never the capital of England in any shape or form. Whilst there is an urban myth that Hitler planned to make it the administrative HQ of a conquered Britain, (following the destruction of London), the nearest we have come to prominence is the temporary transfer of Parliament to the Abbey in the middle ages. This was, I believe, prompted by outbreaks of the plague.

Parliament used to tour because it meant the big wigs and royalty got to stay at the local lords house free rather than at their own gaff.

Reading Abbey served as pariament on several occaisions most notably when Edward IV announced his marriage to Elizabeth Woodville there.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2006 10:31

West Stand Man
bobby m's syrup
Reading was never the capital of England in any shape or form. Whilst there is an urban myth that Hitler planned to make it the administrative HQ of a conquered Britain, (following the destruction of London), the nearest we have come to prominence is the temporary transfer of Parliament to the Abbey in the middle ages. This was, I believe, prompted by outbreaks of the plague.

Not entirely true. During the plague the King also decamped to Reading and hence the town became a substitute capital for a period of time. There is even a King of England buried in Forbury gardens - but don't go looking for the grave because no-one is quite sure where he is!

Henry II who started the building of the Abbey isn't it?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Aug 2006 10:33

Henry I. The infamous "surfeit of lampreys" did for him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2006 10:40

Platypuss Henry I. The infamous "surfeit of lampreys" did for him.

my mistake. thanks Platy.

clooneysed

by clooneysed » 11 Aug 2006 02:51

Only one Trevor Morley I'm interested about Seols skin diseases - any insight you can give us on that?

Seol wrote a internet message for his fans with a title "my recent situation - the irony of fate" in April.

he said "in brief, there's no injury at all now, and i recovered perfectly from skin disease. no trouble to play. i'm hard at training, enjoying calmness of english countryside with my wife and two kids.
just, i'm not playing on a first team because the head coach doesn't want me.
if you ask me why i'm not on field for all good physical condition, i can't speak easily because all my words would sound like excuses."

this is all i know about his skin disease(eruption with high fever) ;)

and let me add one thing.. Seol's father died by accident when Seol was only 10 years old. his mother says "we were so poor, i couldn't buy him a pair of football shoes. but he never complained about anything. he hardly ever speaks his own insistence."

thanx for all kind answers, i guess it's very simple. reading people don't like reading boring books, they're always ready to enjoy football. right?

go royals!

sid

by sid » 13 Aug 2006 15:21

Latest news from Korea...

Reading - Middlesborough will be shown live on cable TV! 앗싸!! Hopefully the first of many live games - I think they'll show any of our games that don't clash with Man Utd or Spurs (and our games against those teams of course).