A View From America

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fat Freddie

A View From America

by Fat Freddie » 16 Aug 2006 20:55

Just posted on Fox Soccer Channel - EPL preview. Not sure if it American bias or if this guy knows what he is talkign about but I'll settle for this prediction in a heartbeat...... not only are we safe but Chelsea don't win the league!!!!!!!!!!!

It only seems like yesterday that I was leaving the Berlin Olympic Stadium after the World Cup Final, however six weeks is a lifetime in football.

Now it's time to brush aside those memories and concentrate on my bread & butter …the Barclay's English Premier League.

Last year I predicted Chelsea to win the Championship, which was about the only thing I got right as the predictions business frequently leaves us pundits with egg dripping all over our faces. This season though I'm not so sure about the Blues.

Either way, you'll have to read to the end of the column to find out who will be the top three but before we get to that let's see who'll make the dreaded drop (last season's finish in brackets).

20. Watford (Play-Off Winners): After a seven year absence the Hornets are back in the big time but with no big name stars they'll find it very difficult to sting anyone or get the results that manager, Adrian Boothroyd will need to keep them up. In fact if they don't get going ‘early doors' they could be on to the same kind of hiding as Sunderland last term … yikes!

19. Sheffield United (2nd in Championship): Without a shadow of doubt Blades boss, Neil Warnock, will be the most quotable manager in the Premiership. His fiery personality will definitely leave a mark on many opponents however even with the force of his personality I don't think it will be enough to keep the ‘Steel City' in the elite but then again, wasn't the same thing said about Wigan Athletic last season?

18. Portsmouth (17th): Was Harry Redknapp the difference between success and failure, I guess we'll find out as the crafty Cockney now has a full campaign at his disposal. Two very experienced signings in the form of Sol Campbell and David James feel like decent moves but they do seem to be on the downward slide of their illustrious careers. Their form at Fratton Park will be the key however if they repeat last seasons dismal return of five wins it'll be ‘squeaky bum' time down on the South Coast. Behind the scenes shenanigans will probably dominate the headlines.

17. Fulham (12th): There's a little whiff of tiredness surrounding the Cottage and without a ball kicked in anger, Cookie Coleman is already one of the bookies favorites for the sack. He'll have to get more out of his club on the road where they picked up one paltry win the entire season but with too many players itching for greener pastures those vultures have already started circling.

16. Charlton (13th): The question for the Addicks is how quickly they can transition from the Alan Curbishley era to the new regime of Iain Dowie. Over the last few years they've flown out of the blocks only to wilt after Christmas. A fast start is imperative again or it could be a long season at the Valley with Dowie under intense pressure to produce not only results but more importantly, attractive football.

15. Reading (1st in Championship): Any team that scores 99 goals needs to be feared which is what the Royals achieved last term in walking to the Championship title by a massive 16 points. Steve Coppell's lads won't find Premiership back lines so accommodating but this is a club that wants to play fast attacking football and the open style of the top flight should suit their first ever foray into the elite of England.

14. Wigan (10th): The Latics will have lost the element of surprise that they brought to the Premiership last season. I expect them to have a far tougher time because opponents will have a better understanding of how to neutralize them. Manager, Paul Jewell has spent big money but over $10 million for Emile Heskey smells of a desperation buy and with expectations high at the JJB after their previous success, a sophomore slump is on the cards.

13. Manchester City (15th): A serious lack of funds has Stuart Pearce shopping at garage sales in the hope of unearthing some hidden treasure unfortunately the likes of Didi Hamann and Paul Dickov are nothing more than retreads. This team is old, fragile and if they have any injuries problems, 13th place will be quite an achievement however I like Pearce along with his management style and believe he may just squeeze the last piece of juice out of this side before rebuilding.

12. Bolton (8th): I'm just wondering whether Sam Allardyce isn't getting a little bored at the Reebok. He openly flirted with the England job earlier this year and has loudly expressed disappointment at the lack of funds available for strengthening the Trotters. Granted his has turned a sow's ear into a silk purse over the last few years but how much longer can he cobble together a decent side made of promising youngster and experienced campaigners. This is the year they get found out.

11. Middlesbrough (14th): Gareth Southgate makes his managerial debut with a Boro club that excelled in cup competitions yet underachieved, big time in the league. Obviously Southgate is going to encounter a huge learning curve as he feels his way from playing to coaching however he has always been a student of the game and he inherits a squad bursting with talent. Mid table and another cup run will be about the best the Riverside faithful can hope for.

10. Newcastle (7th): Big club, big money, big ambitions and usually a big bust is how we generally look at the Magpies. With the studious Glenn Roeder now pulling the strings it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the intense weight of expectation from the Geordie public. In all honesty I don't think he was the number one or number two choice to take over the hot seat at St. James' and if they start slowly, the bookies will surely install him as the 1st manager to get the axe.

9. West Ham (9th): A combination of youth and experience leads me to believe that the Hammers will consolidate on last year's spectacular return to the Premiership. Alan Pardew has silenced the doubters with his understated brand of management and if the famed ‘Academy' keeps churning out the occasional diamond look for another Cup run and a European adventure to keep the ‘bubbles' flowing down at Upton Park.

8. Aston Villa (16th): The Martin O'Neill factor cannot be overlooked as the Irishman has proven himself to be one of the best managers in the business. He has a big job on his hands though as Villa seemingly lurch from crisis to crisis however I believe he'll right the ship and within a season or two turn the Midlands club once again into contenders. There is plenty of talent in the squad and with new owner Randy Lerner breathing fresh air after the musty odor of Doug Ellis, the sky's the limit.

7. Everton (11th): Without the distraction of European football where in all honesty they embarrassed themselves, David Moyes and his Toffees can keep building on the excellent progress they've made in recent seasons. If you push aside the horror start of the last campaign this is a team that is increasingly hard to beat. On the down side is the lack of goals they score however the partnership of James Beattie and Andy Johnson is intriguing and if they gel they'll be fireworks at Goodison Park.

6. Blackburn (6th): A solid football team is how I would describe Rovers. There's no flash, no frills, just commitment and you have to credit Mark Hughes for that achievement. He reminds me of an ‘old' school manager in the SAF vein but with the sensibilities of a modern coach. His squad does look incredibly ordinary though but then again it's virtually the same team that qualified for Europe last season and you have to figure that they'll only improve.

5. Arsenal (4th): The Gunners downfall this campaign will be their new home, Emirates Stadium. In my mind it will take them at least half a season to adjust to their surroundings and Arsene Wenger may even have to alter their playing style unless he decides to import the same pitch dimensions they had at Highbury. The faithful will also have to feel their way around the new digs and these two factors all lead me to believe that Wenger will have to be at his professorial best home and especially on the road where they were exceedingly poor last season.

4. Tottenham (5th): After missing out on the Champions League in heart breaking fashion, Spurs will be eager to set the record straight. With ambition along with money in seemingly abundant supply at White Hart Lane, Martin Jol seems to have got the chemistry right after years of under achievement. I think that this is the year that the North Londoners push on and rejoin the elite of English football as a serious contender.

3. Manchester United (2nd): I can't help but feel that the end of the era has finally arrived for United and Sir Alex Ferguson. I know I've said that over the last few years and in a way I've been right because Cup wins are not a satisfactory return for a club of this stature … it's about the league. With limited forays in the transfer market and then overpaying massively for Michael Carrick to replace the long departed Roy Keane, SAF just seems to be losing his touch after 20 years in the job. If they don't win the Premiership, you've got to feel that the Glazer family will do the unthinkable and replace the Old Trafford legend.

2. Chelsea (1st): They'll be no three-peat for the Blues as this is the year of the blip and perhaps the final episode of the Jose Mourinho era. No doubt they'll be super competitive in the Prem but with eyes firmly on the Champions League, the ‘Special One' has stacked his squad with players to win this trophy and then ride off into the sunset. I'm sure this year at Stamford Bridge will be a real soap opera because the type of players they've signed are not the type of players to sit meekly on the bench without moaning big style.

1. Liverpool (3rd): It's been 17 years since Anfield celebrated a league title but the wait will be over in a little over nine months. I really like how Rafa Benitez has gone about his job since arriving on Merseyside. Every year we've seen improvement as the Spaniard has built from the back to the front. Now with the addition of pace to the squad with the likes of Craig Bellamy, Mark Gonzalez and Jermaine Pennant, the final, vital, ingredient has been added and that is why they'll be Champions.

As always though these predictions are bound to blow up however get yours to me and will print the best of the bunch on my blog.

Until then, get the beers in ...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Aug 2006 20:59

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 16 Aug 2006 21:03

Wondered who penned the piece and was about to go to the source...until I scrolled down and saw this:

Until then, get the beers in ...

Such marks all of this as the handiwork of one Nick Webstah. He's English.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: A View From America

by Jerry St Clair » 16 Aug 2006 21:36

Fat Freddie Last year I predicted Chelsea to win the Championship,

Wrong !!!

Reading won The Championship.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1