Bloomberg John Madejski Article

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 17 Aug 2006 10:33

Dirk Gently It's new to its target audience, which is mainly US based and interested in finances.

Exactly, I was on Bloomberg this morning and happened to come across it. I appreciate it doesn't add much more than we've already heard, but thought it might be of some interest.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Aug 2006 10:35

Gordons Cumming
Dave the rave . A decent Championship team that has some flirtatious moments in the big time.

Bit like WBA then?

There's a lot to be said for that - we might win something if we yo-yo, but we'll never, ever win the Prem (unless there are dramatic changes in the financial strucure of football) - so all we have to look forward to now is an occasional cup run and an annual fight against relegation.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Aug 2006 10:37

Dirk Gently
Gordons Cumming
Dave the rave . A decent Championship team that has some flirtatious moments in the big time.

Bit like WBA then?

There's a lot to be said for that - we might win something if we yo-yo, but we'll never, ever win the Prem (unless there are dramatic changes in the financial strucure of football) - so all we have to look forward to now is an occasional cup run and an annual fight against relegation.

I'm not sure if heart could take the strain. :wink:

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 17 Aug 2006 10:45

Gordons Cumming

Bit like WBA then?

I'd take that.

Northern Git

Re: Bloomberg John Madejski Article

by Northern Git » 17 Aug 2006 11:01

southbank1871 http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=az.fqiPoRxfQ&refer=uk

Reading's Madejski Seeks Asian Buyer as Club Joins Soccer Elite

Madejski said he wants to sell Reading, which begins its Premiership campaign on Aug. 19, because of the spiraling cost of keeping a team in the world's richest league. Players' pay has increased fourfold to 20 million pounds since the club secured promotion in May, he said, swallowing up increased revenue from broadcasters this season.

.''

Is it just me or does JM seem to be inconsistant with the figures he throws out regarding players wages.

Seem to remember that we stated off with players wages 'doubling' to £10 million, then it crept up to £12 million in a later interview, then to £15 and now via £18 million to a quadrupled £20 million - and it all seems to have come as a suprise to him!

Now either JM has no idea on what players contracts contain re wages and promotion uplifts when he signs them (which I very much doubt) or the budget for new players wages has been completly blown apart and the existing wage structure has been dumped (again I very much doubt that), or we are seeing a bit of 'creative accounting' in the making?

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 17 Aug 2006 12:40

And at no point has he mentioned the fact that it is imperative for us to stay in the prem this year as TV money goes through the roof next season due to the new TV deal. That should cover his debt easily if the figures (£65m per club) I've heard are anything to go by. Any teams not in the prem will be left behind.

Jim-Bob

by Jim-Bob » 18 Aug 2006 00:31

I for one would love to see JM stay. He is the best thing that has ever happened to RFC and under his guidence we are less than 2 days away from the premiership. Everything he has done has been "brick on brick", we have had lows in his time but we have NEVER been higher.

That kind of leadership isn't easy to come by, he has learnt from mistakes, realised what the club needed to survive and made these things happen. I wouldn't want to be the new Chelsea because it seems to cheapen the whole experience. Things here are done for a good future and long term basis, not quick buck. Long may it continue.

Hopefully if JM wants out he will ensure we are in good hands for the long term and not necessarily the highest bidder.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 18 Aug 2006 00:35

Spirit of Elm Park And at no point has he mentioned the fact that it is imperative for us to stay in the prem this year as TV money goes through the roof next season due to the new TV deal. That should cover his debt easily if the figures (£65m per club) I've heard are anything to go by. Any teams not in the prem will be left behind.

Not wholly. One of the Championship managers (can't remember which, but it may have been Worthington or Peter Taylor) pointed out that who ever goes down this season will have higher parachute payments because of the TV deal. Obviously not as good as the pay out should we stay up, but it would certainly mean that there would be no need to sell anybody if we didn't want to.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 18 Aug 2006 01:29

RIP ELM Park
Dirk Gently Or it could be very shakey and short-term.

What if a new investor spends massively, gets lot of pplayers on expensive long-term contracts amd then loses interest and walks away?

Or what if he is the next Glazer? Someone who buys in just in order to make money - the only place that money can come from is from the fans. Still want it?

Better the devil we know .....

I would think Madejski would try to do his best to secure the long term future of the club and take that into consideration when looking at future investors, he has built a legacy here and I'm sure he wouldn't want to see his hard work undone.

would be nice if he stayed on though, even if as a lifetime guest/president

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 18 Aug 2006 07:26

royalsteve
RIP ELM Park
Dirk Gently Or it could be very shakey and short-term.

What if a new investor spends massively, gets lot of pplayers on expensive long-term contracts amd then loses interest and walks away?

Or what if he is the next Glazer? Someone who buys in just in order to make money - the only place that money can come from is from the fans. Still want it?

Better the devil we know .....

I would think Madejski would try to do his best to secure the long term future of the club and take that into consideration when looking at future investors, he has built a legacy here and I'm sure he wouldn't want to see his hard work undone.

would be nice if he stayed on though, even if as a lifetime guest/president

like mathew harding or ken bates down the fulham palace road?