Saturday at 3 ...

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

Saturday at 3 ...

by Dennis the Butler » 18 Aug 2006 23:34

I first started to watch Reading in 1969, my first game being viewed from the terraces of the Tilehurst Road end ... Doncaster Rovers were the visitors and we managed a 1-0 win ... the days of Jackie Mansell, Dennis Butler, Les Chappell et al ...

I have witnessed many things since then ... the joy that promotion can bring and the utter despair of relegation ... the Friday wonder goal, the Simod Cup Final and much more besides ...

But nothing ... NOTHING ... will come close to the feelings I will have on Saturday at 3 ... my team in the PREMIER LEAGUE !

Whatever happens over the next 9 months or so, lets do one thing ...

ENJOY !

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 18 Aug 2006 23:40

I was probably standing very near you back then in 1969, Dennis.

Seems a long time ago now................................

:cry:

I think the shadowy ghosts of Friday, Horrix and others will be running out of that tunnel tomorrow.

It's going to be a very, very special moment.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 18 Aug 2006 23:51

It's for the ones who've been thru the highs, the lows, the in-betweens and the whole thing all over again for whom I spare a thought on this, the very eve of the greatest day --the absolute pinnacle-- in the one hundred and thirty-five years of the life of Reading Football Club.

You, above all, I salute.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 19 Aug 2006 00:18

RoyalChicagoFC It's for the ones who've been thru the highs, the lows, the in-betweens and the whole thing all over again for whom I spare a thought on this, the very eve of the greatest day --the absolute pinnacle-- in the one hundred and thirty-five years of the life of Reading Football Club.

Well said RC

Great post RC, it's hitting home now, this is going to be the start of my 20th season following the Royals, many of those early years I only saw a few games, but I will never, ever, forget walking through that turnstyle at the Tilehurst End and seeing the Southbank and the clock and the beautiful green pitch on a Sunny March Saturday afternoon in the mid 80's. I feel proud I was able to see that so regularly, and I wish sometimes that it was still there, and I could go there on my own, and just walk in, stand there silently, and relive the many great moments of my early football following days there.

Bremner scoring the first ever live goal I saw, Senior scoring week in week out, Hicks' hoofs, Gilkesy, roaring down the wing in front of the Southbank, Wdowczyk in defence, Lambert's goal against Forest, Archie's double to sink McGhee's Wolves, what would have happened if we didn't chuck away that 3 goal lead to Port Vale, Meakers goal, the 4-2 win over Wolves, running on the pitch in protest at Terry The Taxi, Mr Madejski addressing us from the old main stand, and many, many, many more memories, good and bad.

I only had around 12 years there but I remember, and I will never forget, I am so proud that I can say I was there, tomorrow isn't just about people like me, I consider myself relatively lucky with my time supporting RFC, tomorrow is more for people like you Gordon, people like my Grandad who's well into his 80's and still has a season ticket, people like Royal and Ancient who posts on here, that's who tomorrow is for, Maurice Evans, Dean Horrix, Robin Friday and everybody and I hope that everybody thinks about these people tomorrow at around 2.59, where would we be without these people, tomorrow is for you.

I genuinely feel sorry (in some kind of sick way) for the relatively new people that have started following us in the last 3-4-5 years, as lets face it, you've had it good.

I don't want to sound sarcastic in anyway, but tomorrow will not be as special for you as it will for many, many others.

Lets enjoy it, and lets make some noise, and lets start with a win!

COME ON URZ!!!
Last edited by Dangerous on 19 Aug 2006 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 19 Aug 2006 00:20

Amen to that..

URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 19 Aug 2006 00:20

Nice post Dang. Sent a shiver down my spine.

midlandadie

by midlandadie » 19 Aug 2006 01:46

well said!

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 19 Aug 2006 01:48

URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZ!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 19 Aug 2006 01:54

COME ON THE BISCUITMEN!

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 19 Aug 2006 01:59

I get into bed and can't move my ankle. oxf*rd. :x

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 19 Aug 2006 07:48

Gordons Cumming I was probably standing very near you back then in 1969, Dennis.

Seems a long time ago now................................

:cry:

I think the shadowy ghosts of Friday, Horrix and others will be running out of that tunnel tomorrow.

It's going to be a very, very special moment.

I would probably have been there but in the Town End. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I first walked into the Madstad and I am very much looking forward to the same sensation again today.

topfuller

Re: Saturday at 3 ...

by topfuller » 19 Aug 2006 08:02

Dennis the Butler I first started to watch Reading in 1969, my first game being viewed from the terraces of the Tilehurst Road end ... Doncaster Rovers were the visitors and we managed a 1-0 win ... the days of Jackie Mansell, Dennis Butler, Les Chappell et al ...

I have witnessed many things since then ... the joy that promotion can bring and the utter despair of relegation ... the Friday wonder goal, the Simod Cup Final and much more besides ...

But nothing ... NOTHING ... will come close to the feelings I will have on Saturday at 3 ... my team in the PREMIER LEAGUE !

Whatever happens over the next 9 months or so, lets do one thing ...

ENJOY !

As people above have already said... great post

aussieroyal

will be there in mind

by aussieroyal » 19 Aug 2006 08:40

Looking forward to 3.00 pm and even though I am in Australia I shall be willing the team on to a win. have been following the Royals....(Biscuit Men) ....since about 1955 have been here 30 years but have still kept up on what is happening with them...so wish I was over there now ...cheer them on for me.....GOOoo YOoUUuuu RROoyyyyaaaaaaallllllllsssss

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 19 Aug 2006 08:45

Dangerous
RoyalChicagoFC It's for the ones who've been thru the highs, the lows, the in-betweens and the whole thing all over again for whom I spare a thought on this, the very eve of the greatest day --the absolute pinnacle-- in the one hundred and thirty-five years of the life of Reading Football Club.

Well said RC

Great post RC, it's hitting home now, this is going to be the start of my 20th season following the Royals, many of those early years I only saw a few games, but I will never, ever, forget walking through that turnstyle at the Tilehurst End and seeing the Southbank and the clock and the beautiful green pitch on a Sunny March Saturday afternoon in the mid 80's. I feel proud I was able to see that so regularly, and I wish sometimes that it was still there, and I could go there on my own, and just walk in, stand there silently, and relive the many great moments of my early football following days there.

Bremner scoring the first ever live goal I saw, Senior scoring week in week out, Hicks' hoofs, Gilkesy, roaring down the wing in front of the Southbank, Wdowczyk in defence, Lambert's goal against Forest, Archie's double to sink McGhee's Wolves, what would have happened if we didn't chuck away that 3 goal lead to Port Vale, Meakers goal, the 4-2 win over Wolves, running on the pitch in protest at Terry The Taxi, Mr Madejski addressing us from the old main stand, and many, many, many more memories, good and bad.

I only had around 12 years there but I remember, and I will never forget, I am so proud that I can say I was there, tomorrow isn't just about people like me, I consider myself relatively lucky with my time supporting RFC, tomorrow is more for people like you Gordon, people like my Grandad who's well into his 80's and still has a season ticket, people like Royal and Ancient who posts on here, that's who tomorrow is for, Maurice Evans, Dean Horrix, Robin Friday and everybody and I hope that everybody thinks about these people tomorrow at around 2.59, where would we be without these people, tomorrow is for you.

I genuinely feel sorry (in some kind of sick way) for the relatively new people that have started following us in the last 3-4-5 years, as lets face it, you've had it good.

I don't want to sound sarcastic in anyway, but tomorrow will not be as special for you as it will for many, many others.

COME ON URZ!!!

Great post Dang, couldn't agree more. I think (IIRC) that both of our first ever match was the same one, so your sentiments certainly ring true for me.

Cannot wait now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Aug 2006 08:52

Dangerous

Well said RC

COME ON URZ!!!

Ya big softie! :wink:

Great post, my first game was back in 1985 so have seen all the ups and downs of the last 20 years. Today will be something very special regardless of the result.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 19 Aug 2006 08:55

To all that will be there enjoy the day, for the first time in 40 years of following RFC i shall miss a big home event through my own choice, but RFC have moved on and some get left behind.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Aug 2006 08:56

It's my "silver anniversary" this season - and what better way to celebrate watching RFC over the last 25 years!!!! Bring it on!!

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 19 Aug 2006 09:00

And at 5.45 today, if we've lost, remember what we went on to achieve after losing to Plymouth.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 19 Aug 2006 09:03

Irvinchangeyaname And at 5.45 today, if we've lost, remember what we went on to achieve after losing to Plymouth.

Blimey, you mean we might go on to be 33 games unbeaten?

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 19 Aug 2006 09:07

I expect nothing less now! :wink: