What the papers say: : Middlesborough

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 20 Aug 2006 19:21

The Sun

Reading 3 Middlesbro' 2

By SUN ONLINE REPORTER

LEROY LITA completed Reading's amazing comeback on their Premiership debut.

The Royals trailed to goals from Stewart Downing and Yakubu inside the opening 20 minutes.

But after Dave Kitson and Steve Sidwell levelled, sub Lita hit the winner 10 minutes after the break.

Middlesbrough were left fuming, though, when Mark Viduka's late effort was harshly ruled out for offside.

Reading manager Steve Coppell was not about to be denied, though, as he got the better of new Boro boss Gareth Southgate, who once played for Coppell at Crystal Palace.

Coppell revealed it was pride in the club that inspired his side's victory.

He said: "It was an exciting performance from us. Both managers could criticise aspects of play but from our point of view it was terrific to come back like that.

"We started nervously and looked anxious, which is human nature given the position we're in.

"When their second one went in, we relaxed a bit and had a go at them.

"The timing of our first goal was critical and it gave us a real boost. I was pleased that we continued to play with that tempo after we scored.

"We played in such a way that you can see what this means to everybody. I know how many good luck texts and phone calls I've had for today and it was the same for the players.

"We've worked really hard to be here and getting into the Premiership was a very big thing for us. You could see that on the pitch.

"As soon as we started stringing passes together I thought that we might get back at them."

Southgate had no complaints with the result. He said: "It was a roller-coaster. We knew we had to dig in after going 2-0 up and Reading threw everything at us.

"We missed a great opportunity to get a win. I wasn't surprised Reading played like that because of the energy and spirit they showed last season."

The former England defender refused to dwell on Viduka's disallowed goal.

He added: "The goal looked onside but it was very tight and hopefully those will go for us another day.

"We didn't do enough in the second half to get the win."

Boro looked a classier outfit early on with Downing leading the charge with a rampaging run down the left.

But Reading were soon into the swing of things as Mark Schwarzer displayed lightning reflexes to tip over a Seol Ki-Hyeon free-kick and then deal with a Bobby Convey effort.

The Madejski Stadium crackled with expectation at Reading's start but home fans were soon brought back down to earth when the visitors opened the scoring in the 11th minute.

George Boateng made the initial inroads through midfield before feeding Yakubu who picked out Downing at the far post with a precision cross the England man buried emphatically.

Sidwell blazed over as the lively Convey continued to get joy down the left but a mistake then saw Reading concede a second in the 21st minute.

James Harper hacked down Yakubu on the edge of the area and Fabio Rochemback managed to slip a low free-kick through the wall.

Marcus Hahnemann spilled the shot into the path of Yakubu who gleefully prodded home from close range.

Reading refused to buckle and their first Premiership goal nearly arrived through Kevin Doyle only for Schwarzer to save and Chris Riggott to get across to prevent Kitson converting the rebound.

Kitson should have scored in the 35th minute but his header from Graeme Murty's pin-point free-kick was weak.

Murty then curled a free-kick inside the near post only to be denied by Schwarzer's fingertips.

Reading dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half and their endeavour was rewarded with two goals.

Seol supplied the first with a tricky run and cross that should have been cleared but was converted by Kitson as Schwarzer and his defenders dithered.

An unmarked Sidwell then smashed home after picking up a crafty pass from Ivar Ingimarsson.

Sidwell jumped into the stands to celebrate - earning a yellow card from referee Mark Halsey - before Kitson limped off seconds before the break with a knee injury that will rule him out for a few games.

Reading's unlikely victory became a reality in the 55th minute when Seol squared for Kevin Doyle and although the Irishman failed to scramble it home, Lita capitalised on the loose ball.

Rochemback was booked for an off-the-ball shoulder charge on Seol before Viduka was then denied his late equaliser when the flag went up.

pieface

by pieface » 20 Aug 2006 21:08

loved the mail report in thier football magazine with magic moment being the celebratoins after Litas goal and hero steve copperal and viloin being riggort for that challenge on kitson :lol:

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 20 Aug 2006 21:47

I took a quick photo of the papers I had here... (click to enlarge)

It looks so good!! 8)

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2006 21:53

I'm keeping my copy of the Torygraph sports section 8)

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 20 Aug 2006 21:57

SouthDownsRoyal I'm keeping my copy of the Torygraph sports section 8)

Just think, that could be donning the walls of so many toilet walls in pubs around the country. Framed an' all...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Aug 2006 00:35

Nice to see the Mail continue their tradition of making up news with their version of a match report on our game.

Ivar Ingimarsson a replacement for injured Glen Little? I'm sorry but I wouldn't want Little paired with Sonko at the back. I'm not sure when Murty started taking free kicks for us either.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 21 Aug 2006 01:39

Chaney Boro dominated the rest of the match after Lits`a goal????..thats news to me :shock:

guess he was at the game then....sipping coffee in his office - most of these broadsheet sports reporters are dreadful - thats why i usually buy the news of the world or sun as most of the time they give a fair report - someone at work told me the telegraph sports reports are better.... i laughed :roll:

RDU

by RDU » 21 Aug 2006 05:40

The Guardian

It is not every day that you get a visit from the FA's chief executive and the tactical guru to England's head coach. And not every day that your team enters the arena to the crackle of fireworks. On this loud and proud occasion, it was a tribute to Reading that they triumphed over their first Premiership opponents and the heavy atmosphere in their own home.
Reading travelled for 135 years to reach this day, so they can be forgiven losing their way for just 21 minutes. This was a rapid learning curve for a side without a single second of experience at the top. At the end, it was the management apprentice whose fingers were burned. Welcome to the big game, Gareth Southgate.

When TV cameras panned to Brian Barwick and Terry Venables, they captured glum expressions. A first-minute snap of Southgate showed understandable tension. But the most illuminating picture was that of Steve Coppell, who during the dark opening remained poker-faced. Even with all his experience, that took some doing in this Madejski madhouse.
Despite a comeback featuring three goals in 12 minutes, Coppell was far from carried away. He parried excited questions like whether his team could "surprise" the Premiership. "There's no surprises now," was the laconic reply, "because everything is dissected 100 times. It was important to win today. But in the long term, who knows? They have to prove themselves, prove they're not a one-hit wonder."

With due respect to the Middlesbrough manager who was once his player, Coppell also knows his team will meet far better opponents than Boro, who in gaining a new managerial head have lost an old one in defence. With the injured Ugo Ehiogu also missing, Southgate fielded what could charitably be called a makeshift defence. Their misery here was best summed up by Julio Arca departing halfway through his debut with a foot problem, suffered in a collision with team-mate Chris Riggott.

At least that released the left-back from the torment inflicted by another debutant, Seol Ki-hyeon, a 6ft 2in winger who grew, like Reading, with the game. The South Korean created two goals and in the second half tortured Stuart Parnaby, switching from the right as Southgate ordered his first managerial reshuffle. The new boss eventually went from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2. This boldness was to no avail.

The fixture's computer has dealt Southgate a real bummer of a hand. Chelsea visit on Wednesday and Boro's next trips are to Arsenal and Bolton. The 35-year-old is learning managerspeak fast. Of facing the champions, he said: "It won't need me to lift the players. They will love to play in a game like that." On Mark Viduka's late, incorrectly disallowed shot, he said: "He looked level. But I'm not going to gripe about the decisions." Both men had good reason to gripe about the officials.

Southgate faced transfer questions. Are Spurs and Chelsea moving for Stewart Downing? "I don't know about that," he said, looking genuinely puzzled. Sylvain Distin? "He's thinking things over." Robert Huth? "We're talking to Chelsea."

Reading lost Dave Kitson with a knee injury after a lunge from behind by Riggott which demanded a red rather than a yellow card. Seol was poleaxed as Fabio Rochemback ran into him; again the wrong card was issued, even after consultation with a linesman. Kitson, Coppell suggested, will be out for several games.

The officials were by no means a bemused minority amid airport-like scenes. Passes went astray with the frequency of baggage. People queued to make basic mistakes. At the back, non-communication ruled. Leroy Lita prodded the winner after a three-man pile-up in the box; Marcus Hahnemann bungled Rochemback's free-kick for Yakubu Aiyegbeni to tap in; Kitson set up his goal with an inadvertent shin connection; and Graeme Murty ventured he was guilty of "shocking defending" before Downing's beautifully taken volley.

But Reading's captain was getting ready to celebrate victory over his hometown club, who rejected him at 15, and 5ft 1in, for being too short. "I'll have a cheeky lemonade tonight," he chortled, standing to his full height of 5ft 10in.

theroyals_eh

by theroyals_eh » 21 Aug 2006 06:22

From over the pond in Canada

The Toronto Star newspaper
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156024213006&call_pageid=1044529386722&col=1044529386490

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5886464

Royals fight back for debut day win

Reading opened their maiden Premiership campaign on a triumphant note with a stunning fightback in a 3-2 victory over Middlesbrough.

Boro looked to be on course to take a simple three points from last season's Championship winners when Stewart Downing and Aiyegbeni Yakubu grabbed a 2-0 lead inside the opening 20 minutes.

England winger Downing looked particularly impressive after shaking off the dead leg he suffered in the midweek international against Greece.

But the scoreline clearly flattered Boro, who had goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to thank for their advantage, with Dave Kitson, Seol Ki-Hyeon and Kevin Doyle going close.

As the first half neared its conclusion Reading were in full control and were rewarded with two goals in as many minutes from Kitson and Steve Sidwell.

The salvo was no more than Reading deserved and they completed the fightback through substitute Lita, who had replaced the injured Kitson.

Australian striker Mark Viduka thought he had snatched a point for the visitors with eight minutes to go but the goal was harshly disallowed for offside.

Aside from the performances of Downing and Schwarzer, it was a deflating start to the managerial career of Gareth Southgate.

Reading, however, can look ahead with confidence as their kind introduction to the Premiership will continue with fixtures against Aston Villa, Wigan, Manchester City and Sheffield United.

Boro looked a classier outfit early on with Downing leading the charge with a rampaging run down the left.

But Reading were soon into the swing of things as Schwarzer displayed lightning reflexes to tip over a Seol free-kick and then deal with a Bobby Convey effort.

The Madejski Stadium crackled with expectation at Reading's start but home fans were soon brought back down to earth when Boro opened the scoring in the 11th minute.

Boateng made the initial inroads through midfield before feeding Yakubu who picked out Downing at the far post with a precision cross the 22-year-old buried emphatically.

Steve Sidwell blazed over as the lively Convey continued to get joy down the left but a mistake then saw Reading concede a second in the 21st minute.

James Harper hacked down Yakubu on the edge of the area and Fabio Rochemback managed to slip a low free-kick through the wall.

Marcus Hahnemann spilled the shot into the path of Yakubu who gleefully prodded home from close range.

Reading refused to buckle and their first Premiership goal nearly arrived through Kevin Doyle only for Schwarzer to save and Chris Riggott to get across to prevent Kitson converting the rebound.

Kitson should have scored in the 35th minute but his header from Graeme Murty's pin-point free-kick was weak.

Murty then curled a free-kick inside the near post only to be denied by Schwarzer's fingertips.

Reading dominated the last 20 minutes of the first half and their endeavour was rewarded with two goals - both of which highlighted frailties in Boro's defence.

Seol supplied the first with a tricky run and cross that should have been cleared but was converted by Kitson as Schwarzer and his defenders dithered.

An unmarked Sidwell then smashed home after picking up a crafty pass from Ivar Ingimarsson, who had started in place of hamstring injury victim Glen Little.

Sidwell jumped into the stands to celebrate - earning a yellow card from referee Mark Halsey - before Kitson limped off seconds before the break.

Reading's unlikely victory became a reality in the 56th minute when Seol's intelligent running creating problems before he squared to Doyle and although he failed to scramble it home Lita capitalised as the ball

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 21 Aug 2006 11:02

Mr Angry
Gav Holy moly, just seen the Telegraph... Leroy full front cover of the sports section. Massive picture, looks awesome!!! 8)

A fantastic picture!!!

:D

You should have seen the pics in the Observer. Similar pic of Lita on the front, but inside, a glorious massive picture of the goal area immediately after Lita scored. It's so big that it even overlapped onto the 3rd page! :shock: Think I'll pin it up somewhere 8)

79Royal

by 79Royal » 21 Aug 2006 11:24

I was interested to hear what Andy Gray and Alan Hansen had to say about us. Hansen obviously knows very little about us, so was subtle in his praise and never pretended to know more than he did I thought. Andy Gray described us as 'Briwlyant!'