Vidukas onside goal

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 21 Aug 2006 11:40

Wycombe Royal
West Stand Flash During normal time @ the game & on Match of the Day Viduka clearly looked off-side,

Myself and others around me were amazed he was given offside because from our position (Y21) he looked onside, so I completely disagree with your comment.

Looked onside at the time to me too. Same with most of the people around me.

But sod 'em, they didn't deserve to equalise.

Gregster

by Gregster » 21 Aug 2006 11:41

Billy The Fish In my considered opinion, the habit they have on MOTD and other progs of freezing the action at the exact moment the pass is made does linesmen no favours at all. In actual fact the ball was passed at pace and Viduka was motoring forward at speed, and he was well offside nanoseconds after the pass was struck. I would expect that everyone who was inline with the play (including the lino) and seeing it at normal speed would have seen it as Clearly Offside, not even close. And the linesman gave it as offside therefore it was. :D

Agreed, if you watch this as full speed, Viduka 'appeared' offside. We'll have these given against us this season as well. Swings and roundabouts, etc. etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2006 11:43

Wycombe Royal
West Stand Flash During normal time @ the game & on Match of the Day Viduka clearly looked off-side,

Myself and others around me were amazed he was given offside because from our position (Y21) he looked onside, so I completely disagree with your comment.

Yep, looked onside to me as well, in fact my head was already in my hands as the ball crossed the line. Never been so relieved when the cheer went up for offside.

Berthwaite

by Berthwaite » 21 Aug 2006 11:53

zac naloen , Follow through my arse trevor)

You might want to add some punctuation to that or, at least, to rephrase it a little.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 21 Aug 2006 11:54

Billy The Fish actual fact the ball was passed at pace and Viduka was motoring forward at speed

A heartily LOL :lol:

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 21 Aug 2006 11:55

Berthwaite
zac naloen , Follow through my arse trevor)

You might want to add some punctuation to that or, at least, to rephrase it a little.

if you don't take it out of context it makes perfect sense :roll:

by 1960 » 21 Aug 2006 12:12

Billy The Fish In my considered opinion, the habit they have on MOTD and other progs of freezing the action at the exact moment the pass is made does linesmen no favours at all.

Good point. And it opens up another area for debate. MOTD and Sky freeze it just as the foot touches the ball. But has it been kicked at this point? No. It has been kicked when the foot moves forward propelling the ball forward. In this very close decision I feel that Viduka was offside by the time the foot moved forward. So, to repeat the point - when is the ball actually passed if not as I suggest?

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 21 Aug 2006 12:15

Wycombe Royal

well he may look onside from Y21 but on the basis you were not in line with the 6 yard box then i'm not sure how you can be so sure you are right and WSF is so wrong.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 06,00.html

Presumably the offiside rule isn't fully understood by the Y21 massive anyway so it's not really a surprise that there is some confusion.

by the way you don't have a pony tail do you?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Aug 2006 12:23

poohs pure
Wycombe Royal

well he may look onside from Y21 but on the basis you were not in line with the 6 yard box then i'm not sure how you can be so sure you are right and WSF is so wrong.

Presumably the offiside rule isn't fully understood by the Y21 massive anyway so it's not really a surprise that there is some confusion.

No I don't. I sit at the top of the stand and it looked onside - simple as that. TV replays have also shown that it was onside, and he was still onside when the ball left the foot of the player crossing it.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 21 Aug 2006 12:25

Looking again at that decision this morning, it struck me how far in advance Viduka's shadow was, doesn't that suggest he was in front? I assume that the camera wasn't at a precise level with the play, the lens of the camera a convex shape and the image capture only around 24 frames a second, creating a distorted image and an inaccurate timing. I guess we'll just never know. :lol:

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 21 Aug 2006 12:32

zac naloen
Deadlock
Billy The Fish And Boro should have had 2 players sent off anyway.

Three.
Riggott and Rochemback as has been discussed eslewhere at length,
and Viduka for the elbow on Ingimarrson in the first half which saw Ã

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 21 Aug 2006 12:36

Wycombe Royal
poohs pure
Wycombe Royal

No I don't. I sit at the top of the stand and it looked onside - simple as that. TV replays have also shown that it was onside, and he was still onside when the ball left the foot of the player crossing it.

so you sit at the top of the stand looking down at a steep angle 25 yards at least behind play yet you were amazed he was given offside. are you sure you arent just using the TV replay that shows him onside to make yourself look like a clever chap?

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 21 Aug 2006 12:40

donface Looking again at that decision this morning, it struck me how far in advance Viduka's shadow was, doesn't that suggest he was in front? I assume that the camera wasn't at a precise level with the play, the lens of the camera a convex shape and the image capture only around 24 frames a second, creating a distorted image and an inaccurate timing. I guess we'll just never know. :lol:

My dad mentioned just last night, they never freeze it when the balls actually been kicked. Just when its been touched. I know its a matter of half a second but at those speeds half a second is everything. The linesman cannot be blamed for this though, it so close that he could have easily gone either way and no one could have reasonably complained about it.

Freezing the game on MOTD and actually being there taking it in on the side lines is totally different and these decisions are hard enough to make on a snap instinct without pundits going "LOL HE WAS WRONG!!!"

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 21 Aug 2006 12:40

I think anothjer factor is that the defender (Murty?) seemed to be leaning backwards whereas Viduka was leaning forward. The MOTD line they drew was in line with their feet but looking across I think the lino would have been able to see Viduka so he would have looked offside. Surely these things happen so quickly that the poor old lino does not really stand a chance

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 21 Aug 2006 12:42

JC I think anothjer factor is that the defender (Murty?) seemed to be leaning backwards whereas Viduka was leaning forward. The MOTD line they drew was in line with their feet but looking across I think the lino would have been able to see Viduka so he would have looked offside. Surely these things happen so quickly that the poor old lino does not really stand a chance

Not just in line with their feet, the camera isn't directly in line with the players either. Theres a slight angle. It really is too tight to call.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 21 Aug 2006 12:43

Let's just hope that over the course of a season we get more of these type decisions in our favour than against us.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 21 Aug 2006 12:44

poohs pure
Wycombe Royal
poohs pure
Wycombe Royal

so you sit at the top of the stand looking down at a steep angle 25 yards at least behind play yet you were amazed he was given offside. are you sure you arent just using the TV replay that shows him onside to make yourself look like a clever chap?

Well, I sit in Y20, pretty much in line with the penalty spot, and we were all sure it was onside at the time, too. Having since watched the replay, I'm now certain it was onside.

Btw, when did FIFA drop the "clear daylight" interpretation?

aardvark

by aardvark » 21 Aug 2006 13:15

In a funny way, I hope the replays show it was clearly onside. This would then be an inustice in our favour that would be a small step to rectifying the 1998 RFC 0 Boro 1 debacle when our defence had pushed forward for a last minute free kick only for the ref to change (lose?) his mind at the last second and give the free kick to Boro who not surprisingly scored as our defence were all camped out in the Boro half.... I'm still cross now 6 years later... maybe I should let it go...

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 21 Aug 2006 13:35

rabidbee
poohs pure
Wycombe Royal
poohs pure
Wycombe Royal

Well, I sit in Y20, pretty much in line with the penalty spot, and we were all sure it was onside at the time, too. Having since watched the replay, I'm now certain it was onside.

Btw, when did FIFA drop the "clear daylight" interpretation?

thank you, my point exactly. how can someone sat at the back of Y21 be so sure of an offisde decision that occured on the edge of the 6 yard box. my arguement wasnt if he was or he wasnt (he quite clearly was). Y20 is totally acceptable i am just sick of Wycombe Royal being such a cock all the time and am spoiling for a fight with him.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Aug 2006 13:48

poohs pure i am just sick of Wycombe Royal being such a cock all the time and am spoiling for a fight with him.

Read my original post again which wasn't even a reply to a comment made by you. I said that from my viewpoint he was on side and therefore I totally disagreed with that person comment. I did not say I was right or they were wrong. Others have said the same thing as me and TV replays have shown it was onside.

So who's the "cock"?

Can I take a guess at your age? :wink: