Is this the Aston Villa thread?

291 posts
Ollie

by Ollie » 23 Aug 2006 22:47

As far as Steve Coppell's full time anger goes, he's been speaking to Tim Dellor and says it was all to do with the last half a minute.

Apparently Juan Pablo Angel messed around with the ball and stuffed it into our net when offside, so Hahnemann had to take an extra 15 seconds retrieving it. Then when he took the free kick the ref blew the final whistle.

Coppell says he wants those 15 seconds back.

Quotes plus audio here.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 23 Aug 2006 22:50

Memories Of India
RoyalBlue there was clearly something very, very wrong with the officials tonight.

Looks like that evens up our good fortune with Viduka's goal on Saturday then.

What, the goal that was offside? :roll:

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 23 Aug 2006 22:50

Muskrat
Memories Of India
RoyalBlue there was clearly something very, very wrong with the officials tonight.

Looks like that evens up our good fortune with Viduka's goal on Saturday then.

What, the goal that was offside? :roll:

TV shows it wasn't.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 23 Aug 2006 22:53

Really? You may want to look again.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 23 Aug 2006 23:00

When the ball was played, Viduka's feet were behind Ingimarsson's - therefore, he was onside.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2006 23:02

Just seen the pen on Football First. Very gutted by the decision to be honest. I can just about see why a pen was given but to send Sonko off as well is debatable at best. Expecially given how close Hahnemann was to the ball a the time.

blue-army

by blue-army » 23 Aug 2006 23:04

anyone else think that we now need to open the cheque book, anyone else catch the commentator saying that Long could be on his way to sheff wed on loan? i say try for Kilgallon again, grab Bikey on loan then de la cruz on a freebie, at least it gives us a bit more depth and experience, i say now that kits is out try to get a striker, we've supposedly had 2 £5M+ bids rejected which shows were willing to spend money??

i say pongolle on loan from liverpool too!! thats just for 'oi john'!

Urzzzz!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Aug 2006 23:30

Cmonurz's comments having watched MoTD:

- Excellent finish from Doyle, and another Seol assist. Sidwell went very close only minutes later.
- Sonko's foul was very clumsy, but far from intentional. Sonko was out-muscled by Moore and fell, catching Moore with his upper body on the way down. A penalty yes - but I have seen yellow cards for these 'clumsy' fouls and a red was harsh, if technically correct. As Hansen just said, common sense must apply.
- In the second half, Samuel was booked by the referee for a similar foul on Doyle. Minutes later, Samuel repeated the foul - consistency says he should have been sent off, but the ref bottled it.
- An excellent Villa winner, great cross from Whittingham and excellent Barry header.

A good battling performance from Reading, far from disgraced, and with a bit more luck it might have been more of a game - in reality, down to 10, we were only ever 'holding on'.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 23 Aug 2006 23:41

Seol needs to learn how to tackle, instead of charging around like a headless chicken making it easy for people to go past him.

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 23 Aug 2006 23:44

Anyone notice that Hansen tipped us to stay up? Lineker agreed but Lawro didn't.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Aug 2006 23:46

Amongst the sheep Anyone notice that Hansen tipped us to stay up? Lineker agreed but Lawro didn't.

I would rather Mark Lawrenson disagreed TBH, how often does he get things right?

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 23 Aug 2006 23:58

Stranded Just seen the pen on Football First. Very gutted by the decision to be honest. I can just about see why a pen was given but to send Sonko off as well is debatable at best. Expecially given how close Hahnemann was to the ball a the time.

I've always thought sending off for denying a goal scoring opportunity is way too harsh.
Be better if the penalty is given and then if it is missed the player is sent off.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2006 00:10

Horsham Royal
Stranded Just seen the pen on Football First. Very gutted by the decision to be honest. I can just about see why a pen was given but to send Sonko off as well is debatable at best. Expecially given how close Hahnemann was to the ball a the time.

I've always thought sending off for denying a goal scoring opportunity is way too harsh.
Be better if the penalty is given and then if it is missed the player is sent off.

That is a really stupid way of doing things.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 24 Aug 2006 00:12

Ian Royal
Horsham Royal

reason being ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2006 00:15

Horsham Royal
Ian Royal
Horsham Royal

reason being ?

You can't punish someone, then decide because the other side didn't take advantage punish them again. I'm not saying Sonko should have been sent off. I just don't thik your way works. IMO it would cause all sorts of confusion and trouble with the crowd. being sent off should not be reliant on the performance of the other team, it should be based on the severity of the rule breaking and the surrounding circumstances.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 24 Aug 2006 00:18

Ian Royal
Horsham Royal
Ian Royal
Horsham Royal

reason being ?

You can't punish someone, then decide because the other side didn't take advantage punish them again. I'm not saying Sonko should have been sent off. I just don't thik your way works. IMO it would cause all sorts of confusion and trouble with the crowd. being sent off should not be reliant on the performance of the other team, it should be based on the severity of the rule breaking and the surrounding circumstances.

Yep - fair cop guv.
Guess the pen taker could deliberately miss in order to get the player sent off.
How about a sin bin then ... :wink:

Abbo

by Abbo » 24 Aug 2006 00:26

I was behind the goal and my first reaction was penalty / red card.

If it was the other way round, i would have screamed blue murder if those werent the outcomes.

Then the ref completely bottled it by not sending Samuel off. He was a bit cowardly, and didn't take proper ownership of the game.

Reading played very well. Only Convey and Lita were disappointing.

Doyle again looked Prem class.

Gareth Barry stood out for them.

My first time to Villa Park, and it's a crap hole. OK it's big, but so is my mother-in-laws arse.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Aug 2006 00:29

who are ya? BBC Berkshire have been stalking FiNeRaIn.

Reading fans online were celebrating when Kevin Doyle's opener went in - "This is such a great start!" wrote one jubilant Royal.

But the gloom set in with Sonko's dismissal.

"It's so annoying," wrote one supporter. "We're going to lose now due to a refereeing decision. I can take the penalty, but a sending off too?"

"Time for a bit more fighting spirit," encouraged one fan, backed up by another claiming: "It's alright. We play best when we're really up against it."

Gareth Barry's winner did little to lift spirits though.

"Gonna be a long old season boys," was one conclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/08/23/readingfc_0607_villa_a_feature.shtml

That was me, quaLOLity 8)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2006 00:30

Horsham Royal
Ian Royal
Horsham Royal
Ian Royal
Horsham Royal

reason being ?

Yep - fair cop guv.
Guess the pen taker could deliberately miss in order to get the player sent off.
How about a sin bin then ... :wink:

sin bin I have very little arguemnet with.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Aug 2006 00:31

Really rather irritating considering I'm utterly convinced that had Sonks stayed on the pitch we would have done em, eas-ay.

10 men with one up front will always find it difficult to create chances and fatigue always kicks in by the end.

291 posts