MOTD

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

MOTD

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2006 23:28

Commented on us well. Hansen spot on talking about the sending off, basically wasnt a sending off but was a pen.
Both him and lineker think we will stay up.

STAR TRAVEL

Re: MOTD

by STAR TRAVEL » 23 Aug 2006 23:33

FiNeRaIn Commented on us well. Hansen spot on talking about the sending off, basically wasnt a sending off but was a pen.
Both him and lineker think we will stay up.

Alan Hansen also suggested that if Sonko had not been sent of it could have been a different story.
Gary Lineker and Alan Hansen think we look good going forward. Mark Lawrenson his usual grudging self.
Last edited by STAR TRAVEL on 23 Aug 2006 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 23 Aug 2006 23:36

Have to appeal

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 23 Aug 2006 23:38

If Sonko hadn't been caught out of position he'd not of been in a position to slip over, poor defending IMO.

Ditto for the Villa second, shocking marking from Ivar.

You will get punished at this level.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 23 Aug 2006 23:39

alad If Sonko hadn't been caught out of position he'd not of been in a position to slip over, poor defending IMO.

Put your tackle away.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 23 Aug 2006 23:41

What points do you disagree with?

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 23 Aug 2006 23:48

alad What points do you disagree with?

Don't particularly disagree with anything you have to say. I guess it's more the tone. Of course some teams will punish us at this level. Bit of a no-brainer statement that one. But equally I honestly believe we've got the ability to punish enough teams to stay up and potentially stay up comfortably.

I read your post as a general statement about Reading's chances "at this level". If I have misread your intention then I offer my humble apologies.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 23 Aug 2006 23:51

alad If Sonko hadn't been caught out of position he'd not of been in a position to slip over, poor defending IMO.

yeah right, by the oxf*rd ref??

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 23 Aug 2006 23:51

But is poor positioning a sending off offence ?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2006 23:52

I tend to agree to be honest, defending was poor against boro and poor tonight for the goals. MOTD even pinpointed sonko in both games as having a couple of lapses. We NEED to get defenders in, we are fine going forwards but conceding 4 goals in two games agaisnt two poor sides is a worry.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 23 Aug 2006 23:54

FiNeRaIn I tend to agree to be honest, defending was poor against boro and poor tonight for the goals. MOTD even pinpointed sonko in both games as having a couple of lapses. We NEED to get defenders in, we are fine going forwards but conceding 4 goals in two games agaisnt two poor sides is a worry.
Guess Chelsea better get some defenders in too on the basis :wink:

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 23 Aug 2006 23:58

shadesrwrf

Don't particularly disagree with anything you have to say. I guess it's more the tone. Of course some teams will punish us at this level. Bit of a no-brainer statement that one. But equally I honestly believe we've got the ability to punish enough teams to stay up and potentially stay up comfortably.

I read your post as a general statement about Reading's chances "at this level". If I have misread your intention then I offer my humble apologies.

I agree Reading will stay up, but the defending will have to improve or things will get difficult. Let's be honest, 4 goals in 2 games is poor, but especially so when they've been against run of the mill sides like Villa and Boro who have poor attacks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Aug 2006 23:58

amazing how it's "we" when we're doing well and "you" when we lose alad.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 24 Aug 2006 00:02

Ian Royal

amazing how it's "we" when we're doing well and "you" when we lose alad.

IR in taking comment out of context shocker.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 24 Aug 2006 00:51

I've been saying for a long time now that Sonko will get found out at this level, and despite the majority feeling otherwise, it seems to be the case so far. We need to bring in someone else, and Sam Sodje definitely isn't the answer to stabilising things at the back.

I understand that Coppell et al have been working tremendeously hard to get the right person in, but I see it as being crucial that somebody is found before the transfer window closes.

Luckily for us there seems to be a few early candidates for teams worse than us, but as has already been said, we've hardly come up against the most prolific of teams the league has to offer and already we've shipped 4 goals.

There's no question about changing the focus of the team; attack is definitely the best form of defence in our case and it makes for exciting matches, but to have someone of real stature and authority at the back would be a god send.

I'm probably pointing out the obvious, and I'm sure there are things going on beind the scenes to find a player, but even getting someone in on loan will be benificial.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 24 Aug 2006 01:01

I can't disagree with anything they've said on MOTD tonight, and Hanson was spot. Penalty, agreed. Sending off? No chance.

With sonko still on the pitch so we could keep our full attack force, we'd have had that game in the bag in the second half.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 24 Aug 2006 01:48

Yeah, just ask the Chelsea backline from tonight.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 24 Aug 2006 01:53

FiNeRaIn I tend to agree to be honest, defending was poor against boro and poor tonight for the goals. MOTD even pinpointed sonko in both games as having a couple of lapses. We NEED to get defenders in, we are fine going forwards but conceding 4 goals in two games agaisnt two poor sides is a worry.
I wouldn;t just look at the defenders, though. Seol missed his job for Boro's first on Saturday and it sounds like he gave Whittingham a free run tonight for Villa's second. A big part of the success of our defence last season was the protection they got from the midfield. Expose them and they're bound to look stupid mor often.

Seol will learn, and I'm certainly not ready to say Sodje isn't the solution. How would anyone know. Also it sounded like Gunnarsson settled down really well in the second half tonight.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 24 Aug 2006 02:30

alad
shadesrwrf

I agree Reading will stay up, but the defending will have to improve or things will get difficult. Let's be honest, 4 goals in 2 games is poor, but especially so when they've been against run of the mill sides like Villa and Boro who have poor attacks.

i think its even worse when theyve hardly had many chances.....i think Boro had 4 and i think Villa had 5

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 24 Aug 2006 03:16

Maybe you should have offered your support at the game last night?