Choose your top six

132 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Choose your top six

by PEARCEY » 17 Apr 2011 21:52

Lol. Welcome back Jay. What happened to Pompey?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Top 6

by roadrunner » 17 Apr 2011 22:01

PEARCEY Advanced senility is never nice.

Just in case I forget this soon I just want you to know, you along with AthleticoSpazz are my favouritest posters. You have to know before it's too late. :cry:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Apr 2011 22:05

PEARCEY Lol. Welcome back Jay. What happened to Pompey?

Who?

Apparently we ended their play-off hopes.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Apr 2011 22:16

Rearrange some letters, then call me "spazz" to my face

"a" is a long way from "i" on your keyboard of bravery.........and I'm assuming you aren't that nice Jay/RoadRunner bloke etc etc

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Apr 2011 22:26

roadrunner
PEARCEY Lol. Welcome back Jay. What happened to Pompey?

Who?

Apparently we ended their play-off hopes.

I think that Pompey, like Leicester, suffer from loan syndrome. Cottrell said on Saturday that he thinks Pompey may have "knocked off"--what an appalling thing for a manager to have to suspect.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Apr 2011 22:29

By the way, those of us who didn't put Reading in the top six shouldn't, in my opinion, be mocked; we should be thanked for our superstition. Optimism never got anyone anywhere.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 17 Apr 2011 22:31

Considering how things were a few weeks ago, is anyone going to be disappointed (not in the team) at not getting second, or am I just being silly?

Any one else worried if we don't make second, we fizzle out going into the playoffs?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Apr 2011 22:58

RFCUK Considering how things were a few weeks ago, is anyone going to be disappointed (not in the team) at not getting second, or am I just being silly?

Any one else worried if we don't make second, we fizzle out going into the playoffs?

I really think we need to remain unbeaten for the rest of the season. If we achieve that, I'd feel pretty good for play-offs. Ultimately I think 2nd might be a stretch too far but you just never know.

This weekend is key - if Norwich & Cardiff were to draw & we won on Fri, we'll only be 1 point behind Norwich & would be 3rd on GD. This weekend decides it for me I think. If we lose, autos is over for sure.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2011 23:16

MmmMonsterMunch
RFCUK Considering how things were a few weeks ago, is anyone going to be disappointed (not in the team) at not getting second, or am I just being silly?

I really think we need to remain unbeaten for the rest of the season. If we achieve that, I'd feel pretty good for play-offs. Ultimately I think 2nd might be a stretch too far but you just never know.

This weekend is key - if Norwich & Cardiff were to draw & we won on Fri, we'll only be 1 point behind Norwich & would be 3rd on GD. This weekend decides it for me I think. If we lose, autos is over for sure.

I presume you mean 1 point behind Cardiff.

We could get luckier. If we win, Ipswich win, QPR win...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Apr 2011 23:19

It's a worry, but it would be the same for two of the other three. The team getting into the playoffs at the last moment often has momentum. Could be Hull. I think we'd have a reasonable chance in the playoffs because McD knows how to do cup matches, and the playoffs are a bit like cup football.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2011 23:25

facaldaqui By the way, those of us who didn't put Reading in the top six shouldn't, in my opinion, be mocked; we should be thanked for our superstition. Optimism never got anyone anywhere.

It's working for me.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Apr 2011 23:26

Sorry yes meant Cardiff.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Apr 2011 23:31

PEARCEY As this thread has been bumped I have just gone through the predictions. Its less than a month since the thread started. No-one predicted we would finish second and some didn't think we would finish top 6.
Positions and expectations have changed rapidly. Only just over two weeks ago before the Pompey game we were three points behind Forest. Now we are nine points clear of them....in just a fortnight.

On another thread, a fair while ago, I said I believed we had the team/squad
good enough for second but had started shakily and not had the run of the green

In this thread I said:

There are so many six pointers! Forest, IMO need a miracle!

I think it's quite likely that both Forest and Leeds will FAIL and end up out of the top six. Cardiff may come back as they have an easier run-in.

I've tried to be optimistic for other teams. I have RFC drawing with Pompey, beating Leicester, Losing at Leeds but drawing at Forest.

(Note I was deliberately optimistic for the opposition, trying to rein-in my own beliefs/dreams)

IMO if there are a lot of drawn 6-pointers we could get a huge surprise, like Pompey or RFC sneaking 2nd place on the last day

01 94 QPR
02 81 Norwich
03 79 Swansea
04 77 Reading (add four points as we beat Pompey and Forest = 81)
05 77 Cardiff
06 74 Leeds (in their own hands, but think they won't get this 74)
07 71 Portsmouth
08 71 Burnley
09 70 Hull
10 70 Forest
11 68 Watford

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 18 Apr 2011 00:13

I think we still have a fair chance of second place but we may need 10 more points which despite recent form is still not easy.

Have a feeling we might end up third behind QPR and Cardiff who at the moment don't seem to be doing their usual bottle job. Wouldn't be surprised if we head back to Nottingham again next month while Norwich take on Swansea.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Apr 2011 02:20

Thankfully, we've reached the point in the season where statistics no longer matter. It's about who beats who. Next weekend, QPR can win the championship against Cardiff. I've never more wanted a QPR or a Warnock win.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 18 Apr 2011 04:57

I am massively worried about this.

I do not like our chances in the PO's if we do not keep this winning run going.

The lads are sniffing automatic promotion, but may feel deflated if they do not make that now. they just need to maintain a level head, and think where they were 2 months ago.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Apr 2011 07:41

Arch Thankfully, we've reached the point in the season where statistics no longer matter. It's about who beats who. Next weekend, QPR can win the championship against Cardiff. I've never more wanted a QPR or a Warnock win.

There is a very decent possibility that QPR will win at Cardiff.

There is a very decent possibility Ipswich will beat their local rivals Norwich.

Not saying it will happen, but neither result would be a shock.

IF that happened and IF we manage to win at Leeds then we'd go second,
with two on-paper easy home games left and a tricky-ish trip to Coventry
who have recently found some form.

I think we'll match one of Norwich/Cardiff this week, and creep up on the other.

But let's remember, despite our fantastic run, and Leeds' not-brilliant form
going to their place will be very, very hard and we could easily drop points

I can't decide between 2-2 and a 4-2 win for us, head says 2-2, heart says a 4-2 win

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 18 Apr 2011 08:01

Defiantly one of the first 2 threads.....I think we are going to do it I really do, play offs or no play offs!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 Apr 2011 08:04

AthleticoSpizz Rearrange some letters, then call me "spazz" to my face

"a" is a long way from "i" on your keyboard of bravery.........and I'm assuming you aren't that nice Jay/RoadRunner bloke etc etc

Pre Derby drink in the WTUD I reckon, my money is on ASR

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 18 Apr 2011 08:09

Cardiff, Norwich, Swansea and Reading will all drop points before the end of the campaIgn.

I am going for Cardiff to drop 4, Norwich 3, Reading 4.

The top two will be QPR and Cardiff (on goal diffrence).

Reading to finish fourth and win the play offs it's our turn.

132 posts