FAO Daytrippers

403 posts
79Royal

Re: FAO Daytrippers

by 79Royal » 31 May 2011 10:58

Gordons Cumming
79Royal I was embarrassed by my behaviour at certain points of the game, especially when I realised there were three VERY young children sat behind me (if you were the father of kids behind me in 137, I am sincerely sorry), but I really couldn't help myself. That game meant a lot and it hurt when we were down and when we started our come back, I got up and sang until I was so hoarse I couldn't sing any more.

Go to a big game at Wembley and you have to expect some people to want to show passion by standing up and singing. Perhaps you shouldn't have to hear the language that came from me though... :oops:

Good for your honesty,mate.Pity you didn't apologize to the parents face to face (or did you?)

The passion of a Wembley final eh!?

I did turn around and say sorry, the Dad nodded a response, but he was obviously angry. I tried to keep myself to myself after that. No doubt about it, I was bang out of order and it was out of character for me. If I were there with my son, I'd have been upset. I got completely carried away with the situation we were in, but that's no excuse.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 31 May 2011 11:01

Svlad Cjelli
79Royal I was embarrassed by my behaviour at certain points of the game, especially when I realised there were three VERY young children sat behind me (if you were the father of kids behind me in 137, I am sincerely sorry), but I really couldn't help myself. That game meant a lot and it hurt when we were down and when we started our come back, I got up and sang until I was so hoarse I couldn't sing any more.

Go to a big game at Wembley and you have to expect some people to want to show passion by standing up and singing. Perhaps you shouldn't have to hear the language that came from me though... :oops:

Where else can children learn how to swear - and where and when swearing is and isn't acceptable - other than at a passionate football match? It's a vital learning experience and a crucial part of growing up.

I swore and sang uncontrollably throughout the entire game and am hoarse as anything today

There were children around too, and now I am reading this I feel slightly guilty!

I also offered most of the neighbouring block of swansea fans (they were literally 20 feet away) out when Mills brought it back to 3-2. Probably not wise in hindsight, but seemed the thing to do at the time.

Meeko

by Meeko » 31 May 2011 11:05

The whole 'day trippers shouldnt ever go again' statements are rediculous, without these fair weathers then how stupid would we have looked only having around 14k hard core reading fans there? Take out those who sit quietly and sit down you may have 2-4k people?! wouldnt look great would it!

If you only allowed people who would cry if Reading lose big games and stand up all game and shout c*nt every 5 words in every direction then the club would die a miserable death. I think people who have seen the last 8-10 years of success should realise the reason we are now regualry involved in top half championship battles season in season out is because Madjeksi has created a family club that has grown in support due to the fact the new breed of fan wants to sit down a lot and doesnt see Football as the only thing in their life.

People have to except both sides of the coin, the fact of the matter is, the club gains more from 8-10k people sitting there knitting than 2k people standing and cheering, our beautiful game is supported by money and bums on seats means we have a club to watch that is successful.

I have have been going to around 25 games a season since 94 so experienced the Elm Park south bank and everything it offered as an experience, but football has changed and isnt going back to the way it was, people have to accept that those wanting to swear freely infront of kids and stand all game no matter who is behind them are now in the minority! Terraces are not going to come back, nor will you be able to stand at many games of football ever again!

These silent supporters who dont really care are in truth the people that are keeping the club alive, for every Jester hat sold, stupid flag or tacky t-shirt, thats money in the clubs coffers, I wore my old school Auto Trader top, no cash for the club with that but the man next to me in their brand new bought for the day outfit prob spent £25 getting kitted out in the club shop. The club gained more from him than me shouting enourgament at Jobi on the wing! We dont have to embrace the modern fan, but they sadly will need to be accepted as they are the majority and sadly will always be from now on whether people like it or not!

Final point, I was 5th row in block 128, bit of singing going on down there, up and down from the seats any time there was excitment in the game, no-one moaned or complained about words used or the fact they too were forced to stand when i stood up so guess i was lucky in that aspect.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 31 May 2011 11:10

Meeko The whole 'day trippers shouldnt ever go again' statements are rediculous, without these fair weathers then how stupid would we have looked only having around 14k hard core reading fans there? Take out those who sit quietly and sit down you may have 2-4k people?! wouldnt look great would it!

If you only allowed people who would cry if Reading lose big games and stand up all game and shout c*nt every 5 words in every direction then the club would die a miserable death. I think people who have seen the last 8-10 years of success should realise the reason we are now regualry involved in top half championship battles season in season out is because Madjeksi has created a family club that has grown in support due to the fact the new breed of fan wants to sit down a lot and doesnt see Football as the only thing in their life.

People have to except both sides of the coin, the fact of the matter is, the club gains more from 8-10k people sitting there knitting than 2k people standing and cheering, our beautiful game is supported by money and bums on seats means we have a club to watch that is successful.

I have have been going to around 25 games a season since 94 so experienced the Elm Park south bank and everything it offered as an experience, but football has changed and isnt going back to the way it was, people have to accept that those wanting to swear freely infront of kids and stand all game no matter who is behind them are now in the minority! Terraces are not going to come back, nor will you be able to stand at many games of football ever again!

These silent supporters who dont really care are in truth the people that are keeping the club alive, for every Jester hat sold, stupid flag or tacky t-shirt, thats money in the clubs coffers, I wore my old school Auto Trader top, no cash for the club with that but the man next to me in their brand new bought for the day outfit prob spent £25 getting kitted out in the club shop. The club gained more from him than me shouting enourgament at Jobi on the wing! We dont have to embrace the modern fan, but they sadly will need to be accepted as they are the majority and sadly will always be from now on whether people like it or not!

Final point, I was 5th row in block 128, bit of singing going on down there, up and down from the seats any time there was excitment in the game, no-one moaned or complained about words used or the fact they too were forced to stand when i stood up so guess i was lucky in that aspect.

POTD

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2011 11:10

All this shite about Daytrippers screens the fact that even the vast majority of Mad Stad regulars / non-plastics would rather there was no foul mouthed abuse and no standing.

But those who like to do both actually believe that they have the God-given right to do exactly as they please because they are the ones who go and watch the team every week, regardless of the distress and discomfort they cause other supporters, regulars or not. Should it be put down as overly passionate or just a lack of human decency?

Seems bizarre but the only real solution is segregation of each team's supporters from each other as well as from the opposition.

Standing areas would be absolutely superb.

Edit: Well Meeko, great post, and shared sentiments (ish), just far more eloquently put...

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 May 2011 11:17

Well said, Meeko

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 31 May 2011 11:20

Royal Lady
fester_royal
URZZ Oh and to those day trippers saying "it's only a game"... feck off.

Do you know many women or non football followers? I do and they say that to me all the effing time... Makes me somewhat anti social to them that phrase

oxf*rd off attributing that phrase to "women" - there's plenty enough women who go to football and we never use that phrase matey. :evil:

Ha, sorry RL slightly generalized maybe... I was thinking of a few women I know specifically..

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 May 2011 11:40

SLAMMED
Meeko The whole 'day trippers shouldnt ever go again' statements are rediculous, without these fair weathers then how stupid would we have looked only having around 14k hard core reading fans there? Take out those who sit quietly and sit down you may have 2-4k people?! wouldnt look great would it!

POTD

POTM

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 31 May 2011 11:47

Uke
SLAMMED

POTD

POTM

POTY

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2011 11:49

SLAMMED
Uke
SLAMMED POTD

POTM

POTY

POTC

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 31 May 2011 12:10

Ferris The retro songs in the Green Man after the game was probably my highlight.

Everything about the Green Man (before & after) was superb. Despite the 90 minutes on the pitch, I had a top top day. Champagne on the 9am Thames Turbo, The Globe, singing in the Green Man garden, drinking shed loads.......bloody brilliant. You have to make the most of these days out. We might not have another for one for many many years.

URZ !!!

66DD

by 66DD » 31 May 2011 12:12

I was in block 137 and got really annoyed by the old man in the row in front of me who kept telling his grandson to stand on his seat so that he could see the game over the heads of the people standing in front of him. It was totally irresponsible as the little lad could have slipped off and hurt himself (as well as him blocking my view when I was standing).

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 31 May 2011 12:14

There was an "almost" punch up in the Globe before the game. Some Swansea fan was going round shaking all the Reading fans hands - 1 bloke didn't take kindly to it, swung a punch (missed) - bouncers jumped in, so he lobbed his pint at the bloke. I was stood directly behind the Swansea fan and as soon as i saw the pint coming my way, in true ninja style i evaded it by leaning to my right and the pint hitting the window of the door.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 31 May 2011 12:17

Not many posts Meeko but you make it count! 232 was fine. We could always make fans take a true fans test before games like this before selling them a ticket.

How many times do you scream "f*ck during a match? a 0 b 1-5 c6-10 d 11-1000
I want to stand all the time and I don't give a toss about anyone else because I AM A TRUE FAN Yes No
Noone can leave before me Agree Disagree
Only tickets sold if answers are d Yes and Agree.

That'll sell out Wembley and keep the families away.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 May 2011 12:18

Zammo
Ferris The retro songs in the Green Man after the game was probably my highlight.

Everything about the Green Man (before & after) was superb. Despite the 90 minutes on the pitch

URZ !!!

The most important bit! :roll:

Good on you though................... :D

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 31 May 2011 12:19

This is a great thread.i wish i could have gone yesterday :-(

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 May 2011 12:20

Decent post by Meeko although he should really be able to spell the name of our chairman by now.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 May 2011 12:21

Zammo

Everything about the Green Man (before & after) was superb. Despite the 90 minutes on the pitch, I had a top top day. Champagne on the 9am Thames Turbo, The Globe, singing in the Green Man garden, drinking shed loads.......bloody brilliant. You have to make the most of these days out. We might not have another for one for many many years.

URZ !!!

THE TITS!! THE TITS!! YOU FORGOT THE BLOODY TITS!!!

Ok, so they weren't brilliant, but they were tits after all. And her nipples were ok. Fat arms though...

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 31 May 2011 12:24

handbags_harris
Zammo

URZ !!!

THE TITS!! THE TITS!! YOU FORGOT THE BLOODY TITS!!!

Ok, so they weren't brilliant, but they were tits after all. And her nipples were ok. Fat arms though...

LOL ! I took a photo of her as well :oops:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 31 May 2011 12:31

Post it up then Zammo (or PM me)

403 posts