PLEA TO Y25/Y26

155 posts
Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: PLEA TO Y25/Y26

by Gav » 20 Sep 2011 14:17

FiNeRaIn Way too over-articulate and annoying to read manny. You are writing on a football message board. You aren't doing an English dissertation. Floyd usually has a good blend of writing skills, try and find his balance.

It's way too short for a dissertation.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Sep 2011 15:05

Sky Sports said

http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/story/0,,15162_7190196,00.html

You never quite know what you're going to get when you trek up to the Mad Stad on a Saturday. One Saturday's line up reveals that half the team has gone on to greater things and the next reminds us that those 'greater things' don't necessarily work out...as I'm sure Matt Mills doesn't need reminding.

But one thing never changes at Reading, regardless of whether Simon Church scores a hat trick or Alex Pearce gets skinned by an agile striker (again) is the roar of the Madjeski crowd... or more importantly, the lack of it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that I can go watch the game with my family or with my mates without having to think about where I sit or what I say but it gets a bit much when the loudest fan at Reading football club is the one turning behind the stadium making electricity.

Every match a faint echo of 'Reading' can be heard above the clamour of the sixteen away fans and their dog but other than when Reading score or the opposition do something particularly hilarious (which in Doncaster's case last week was every third minute), polite applause is the most we can hope for.

Reading a posh club? Sitting in the West Stand is like being at Wimbledon and though the East try their best, the awkward silences that linger over the middle of each half are the kind you expect after being introduced to your girlfriend's dad, not after winning a free kick twenty yards out.

Brian McDermott has spoken recently of our team being out of sync, and of a lack of spark. In recent times, I think the times when our team has played its best have been when the crowd have been there to push them over the goal-line and its that atmosphere which provides the spark so desperately needed at the moment.

Anfield in the FA Cup, the first half of the quarter final against Villa and, more recently, that eight game winning streak that seems like a distant memory have all shown that Reading are a team desperate for some sound from the stands. On the occasions when the whole stadium gets behind the team, Kebe flies down the wings with dazzling speed and Leigertwood becomes a Makelele-esque guardian in front of the back four. Everyone likes to know their work is appreciated and in the same way that people sing along to an artist's songs at a concert, it can only help to chip in with a bit of vocal support!

Obviously I've put a bit of thought into this and come up with some, I think, pretty canny ideas to up the volume at the Mad Stad. First, since Reading Festival was only a month ago, there must be some pretty high intensity sound equipment knocking about town and if we could just borrow it for a few games, I'm sure we could put it to good use. Secondly, I think Teleprompters above the away end would be a great encouragement for the home side to get involved. Millwall fans getting noisy? 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' appears above their heads and they're none the wiser. Mathieu Manset takes to the pitch? 'BEAST' flashes and the crowd bellow back. My final idea; pass a mild electric current through the West Stand seats. It'll get them on their feet for sure and, given the proximity of the wind farm, it could even be green energy!

Whatever the answer, this season could be as special as the last for Reading but it needs the crowd to get on board and regenerate the electric atmosphere that has characterized Brian's reign and seems to have gone flat recently. Of course, there is a silver lining to every crowd; Brian's been complaining of sleepless nights over our form...I'm sure he can catch a few winks in the peace and quiet at the game on Saturday.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 20 Sep 2011 15:12

well - more like some blogger said....

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 20 Sep 2011 15:48

Svlad Cjelli You're both assuming that in any instance where a large group of supporters are standing that "they're being allowed to" - in reality it's usually that the stewards are unable to stop them.

So other actions are taken : for instance the threatened Wolves stand closure, and this, which is going on at Newcastle.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/newcastle_threaten_to_ban_fans_for_standing_1_3736802

Newcastle threaten to ban fans for standing

NO STANDING ... Newcastle fans have been threatened with a ban for persistent standing.

Published on Friday 2 September 2011 10:52

NEWCASTLE United are on another collision course with their fans, in a row over stadium rules.

Magpies officials have issued letters to between 100 and 150 supporters, after claims of bad language and abusive chanting among those sitting in the south east corner of St Jamess Park.

The club says those who have ignored repeated warnings over standing during matches could face a temporary ban.

Picking up on several loose ends / joining up a few dots from earlier ...

The authorities DO have a choice about enforcement of rules.

People who stand to hurl obscenities at opposing fans ARE thugs.

Newcastle are choosing to enforce the former because of the latter.
(My experience of Wolves tells me ... there's more to their story too ... effin' animals last time I looked.)

Positive support (standing) - they can choose to turn a blind eye, to avoid public order problems.

(But ... rather than bickering, let's support safe standing area campaigns in otherwise seated stadia. Time for another visit to the Victoria Ground methinks, one advantage of living where we do currently ;-) )

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Sep 2011 15:50

glenroyal People who stand to hurl obscenities at opposing fans ARE thugs.

not sure if srs

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 20 Sep 2011 15:52

FiNeRaIn

not sure if srs

Deadly. (Not my words - reference to the earlier Nigel Howe quote.)

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Sep 2011 15:55

Barry the bird boggler Sky Sports said

You never quite know what you're going to get when you trek up to the Mad Stad on a Saturday. One Saturday's line up reveals that half the team has gone on to greater things and the next reminds us that those 'greater things' don't necessarily work out...as I'm sure Matt Mills doesn't need reminding.

But one thing never changes at Reading, regardless of whether Simon Church scores a hat trick or Alex Pearce gets skinned by an agile striker (again) is the roar of the Madjeski crowd... or more importantly, the lack of it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that I can go watch the game with my family or with my mates without having to think about where I sit or what I say but it gets a bit much when the loudest fan at Reading football club is the one turning behind the stadium making electricity.

Every match a faint echo of 'Reading' can be heard above the clamour of the sixteen away fans and their dog but other than when Reading score or the opposition do something particularly hilarious (which in Doncaster's case last week was every third minute), polite applause is the most we can hope for.

Reading a posh club? Sitting in the West Stand is like being at Wimbledon and though the East try their best, the awkward silences that linger over the middle of each half are the kind you expect after being introduced to your girlfriend's dad, not after winning a free kick twenty yards out.

Brian McDermott has spoken recently of our team being out of sync, and of a lack of spark. In recent times, I think the times when our team has played its best have been when the crowd have been there to push them over the goal-line and its that atmosphere which provides the spark so desperately needed at the moment.

Anfield in the FA Cup, the first half of the quarter final against Villa and, more recently, that eight game winning streak that seems like a distant memory have all shown that Reading are a team desperate for some sound from the stands. On the occasions when the whole stadium gets behind the team, Kebe flies down the wings with dazzling speed and Leigertwood becomes a Makelele-esque guardian in front of the back four. Everyone likes to know their work is appreciated and in the same way that people sing along to an artist's songs at a concert, it can only help to chip in with a bit of vocal support!

Obviously I've put a bit of thought into this and come up with some, I think, pretty canny ideas to up the volume at the Mad Stad. First, since Reading Festival was only a month ago, there must be some pretty high intensity sound equipment knocking about town and if we could just borrow it for a few games, I'm sure we could put it to good use. Secondly, I think Teleprompters above the away end would be a great encouragement for the home side to get involved. Millwall fans getting noisy? 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' appears above their heads and they're none the wiser. Mathieu Manset takes to the pitch? 'BEAST' flashes and the crowd bellow back. My final idea; pass a mild electric current through the West Stand seats. It'll get them on their feet for sure and, given the proximity of the wind farm, it could even be green energy!

Whatever the answer, this season could be as special as the last for Reading but it needs the crowd to get on board and regenerate the electric atmosphere that has characterized Brian's reign and seems to have gone flat recently. Of course, there is a silver lining to every crowd; Brian's been complaining of sleepless nights over our form...I'm sure he can catch a few winks in the peace and quiet at the game on Saturday.

What dross.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 20 Sep 2011 16:02

LoyalRoyalFan

You never quite know what you're going to get when you trek up to the Mad Stad on a Saturday.

[snip]

Obviously I've put a bit of thought into this and come up with some, I think, pretty canny ideas to up the volume at the Mad Stad. First, since Reading Festival was only a month ago, there must be some pretty high intensity sound equipment knocking about town and if we could just borrow it for a few games, I'm sure we could put it to good use. Secondly, I think Teleprompters above the away end would be a great encouragement for the home side to get involved.

What dross.

Definitely, totally against stage-managed crowd-participation - ultimately counter-productive - whether at Reading Fest or Mad Stad.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Sep 2011 16:04

glenroyal
FiNeRaIn

not sure if srs

Deadly. (Not my words - reference to the earlier Nigel Howe quote.)

Well I am telling you now that isn't the case at all. If standing up and hurling obscenities at opposing fans makes you a " thug", a good 90% of football fans are all thugs or have taken part in thuggish behaviour. Absolutely ridiculous comment.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 20 Sep 2011 16:10

FiNeRaIn

[snip]

Well I am telling you now that isn't the case at all. If standing up and hurling obscenities at opposing fans makes you a " thug", a good 90% of football fans are all thugs or have taken part in thuggish behaviour. Absolutely ridiculous comment.

90%, what planet are you on ? I appreciate there's a "hard-core" who take that to be a definition of "hard" - but it just gives authorities a premise to enforce other petty rules on all of us (QED).

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Sep 2011 16:22

glenroyal 90%, what planet are you on ? I appreciate there's a "hard-core" who take that to be a definition of "hard" - but it just gives authorities a premise to enforce other petty rules on all of us (QED).

The majority of football fans at one time or another have shouted obscenities towards an opposition fan. Whether it be banter, malicious or just joining in with other people.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 20 Sep 2011 16:24

LoyalRoyalFan

What dross.

it's actually a pretty honest and fair assessment of our lack of support. we tend to respond better to the bigger away followings, but the above is very relevent when we play the watford's, barnsley's, doncaster's etc.

i wish it were different. there are a good few hundred that really do like to sing and make some noise, but it's those (me) same people that need to make a point of simply not shutting up at home games. so what if it's just a few hundred at first? others will join in, and when they don't at least there is still noise and that in turn does reach the players and does make a difference.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 20 Sep 2011 16:28

Probably extremes, but I get the impression that there are some fans in Y25/Y26 who relish the chance the chance to have a go at some of the stewards. The standing thing just gives them an excuse and they wouldn't have it any other way. On the other hand there are those who resolutely want to sit down whatever and would fight to the death for that right. Then, in the middle there's a whole group who couldn't care less whether they stand or not.

OK, maybe I'm just stating the obvious.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Sep 2011 17:15

I've said it before go to Ipswich or Watford and tell me we are quiet. Are we the loudest? No, are we the quietest? Not by a long way. I think a lot of the problem the moaners have is the noise made isn't what they consider the right noise.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 20 Sep 2011 17:26

Sarah Star On the other hand there are those who resolutely want to sit down whatever and would fight to the death for that right.

If I was going to a gig and didn't fancy standing up and being knocked about I would get seating tickets. If I wanted an undisturbed view of the pitch at all times watching Reading I would sit in the Upper West and not Y24-26. Rocket science it is not :!:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Sep 2011 17:42

sandman I've said it before go to Ipswich or Watford and tell me we are quiet. Are we the loudest? No, are we the quietest? Not by a long way. I think a lot of the problem the moaners have is the noise made isn't what they consider the right noise.

I don't particularly care if watching Reading is reminiscent of a Tennis match.

When the stakes are high, we are vocal. When there aren't really stakes, we'll clap when something is done in a manner we approve of.

Agreed that most are just unhappy because it isn't the "right sort" of noise.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Sep 2011 18:50

It's a fair comment but having been to Arsenal United and Anfield. There are times of painfull silence. Anyone who saw Wolves QPR on Sky Saturday night I could not believe how quickly they turned on the team, which was amazing when you consider how well Wolves have started the season.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 20 Sep 2011 18:51

Sarah Star Probably extremes, but I get the impression that there are some fans in Y25/Y26 who relish the chance the chance to have a go at some of the stewards. The standing thing just gives them an excuse and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Far from it. I invite you to change your seat for one game to get rid of that perception.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 20 Sep 2011 18:59

I have done so twice (in the last 3 years). The people around me (bang in the middle of Y25 but near the top or under the scoreboard/tv thing in Y26) weren't like that despite the fact we were up and down like yo-yos, but there were a few on the edges who seemed a bit confrontational. Kept away from them tbh.
Last edited by Sarah Star on 20 Sep 2011 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Muguire

by Muguire » 20 Sep 2011 19:11

Friday's Legacy there are a good few hundred that really do like to sing and make some noise, but it's those (me) same people that need to make a point of simply not shutting up at home games. so what if it's just a few hundred at first? others will join in, and when they don't at least there is still noise and that in turn does reach the players and does make a difference.

THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...
THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...THIS...

RAISE THE FUCKING BAR PEOPLE :!: :!: :!: :!:

Stop using the excuse of having to sit on your fat arse meaning your mouth doesn't work :!:

Make noise, keep making noise, and regarding this battle with the oxf*rd stewards, why aren't you playing the game with them? Toy with them for oxf*rd sake!! Let them walk up, sit back down, start another chant and stand, then sit down for a minute, sing another etc... throw in moments of excitement, whatever they are, and you are actually on your feet more than sat down anyway :!:

It's not half as bad as some of you lot make out, and you can have a bit of fun with the yellow coats too if you play it right.

Stop yo bitchin' and play them at their own game, and find your voices. The more you sing, the more boisterous you appear, the less likely they'll want to walk amongst you too.

Don't make me come in here again, y'hear me :!: :!: :!:

155 posts