Back from the Game - Brighton (H)

203 posts
purleyroyal

Re: Back from the Game - Brighton (H)

by purleyroyal » 27 Dec 2011 22:35

chandog Brilliant result from a game that could easily have turned out differently had brighton been able to take any of the chances they created in the second half.

The back 5 looked pretty solid despite brighton making 3 or 4 clear goalscoring chances, but this is going to happen in a competitive league where every team can match each other. The bottom line of it is that we have 3 clean sheets in a row against 3 promotion chasing teams, maybe not so much the case for brighton now. For the rest of the season i am going to be terrified of one of pearce or gorkss picking up and injury or suspension. They are a brilliant partnership, its great to see pearce developing into a first team regular thanks to the influence of gorkss alongside him.

Thought karacan and leigertwood worked really hard and did a good job of breaking up play and keeping possession in the first half. Bit disappointing that we reverted to a bit of long ball stuff for the second half and seemed unwilling to keep the ball on the deck like the first half. Neither are particularly creative on the ball, karacan especially today was only looking for the simple pass back or across the pitch, but that keeps us in possession which is a good thing. Leigertwood was attempting quite a few runs forward to be fair to him.

The front two worked their socks off and had very little service to feed off. The second half was frustrating for them both as we were just punting the ball up to them and as neither are the biggest of targets that style of play is unlikely to suit them that well.

Mcanuff was brilliant, easily our best and most productive player today.

The only negative for me was unfortunately my favourite player, kebe. He really didnt seem interested once we went one up. He was getting involved nicely for the first half hour and was very unlucky not to open the scoring and also did well for the assist of jobi's first. But after that i cant really think of any times that he broke out of a jog and attacked the full backs with any real commitment. He did get another assist with the last goal but he was passed the ball and just played it across the box.

I really want to see kebe in a reading shirt every week as on his day he is our best player and will scare any defender in the country with his pace. But when he is clearly not that interested it is a bit of a wasted position as we have young and hungry players on the bench and in the reserves who would give their all if they were given a chance. I was watching him at the end of the game and perhaps worringly he was the first off the pitch, before all the brighton players. I hope im reading too much into this but yesterday his overall body language and effort didnt reflect a player who was happy at the club and enjoying the brilliant season we are having so far.

+1 pretty much sums up my thoughts:
a) If Brighton had put away one of the several chances they had in the second half I reckon they'd have gone on to win - but they didn't so all's well that ends well
b) great pressing on their 'play it out from the back' approach
c) I got scared whenever Lua Lua got the ball and was pleased to see him substituted
d) CMS was very good apart from failing to score (yes, I know that's his main purpose but on another day he'd have had a hat-trick)
e) Jobi and Jimmy seemed to have the easy beating of their full backs - so why on earth didn't we do more of it second half (or even after the first goal)

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 27 Dec 2011 22:58

chilipepper91 Far as I remember it's only predominantly been sung while their own teams have been losing to "little old" Reading... maybe just singing to excuse themselves from an early exit? :wink:

Nope, Southampton fans were singing it outside the station while queueing for the bus to the stadium... turn around fellas, the train home is right there.

Agree with Fine Rain, it's the worst chant.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 28 Dec 2011 01:35

My tuppence:

Second game of the year (first was Leicester Away).

Afeds 8 - very impressed with his handling. If he plays like that he can stay in nets all season.
Cummings 6.5 - very good defensively (a few lapses over the course of the game) but wish he overlapped and attacked more, bit of a weakness for him imho
Pearce 7 - a transformed man from last year - looks very assured - impressed
Gorkks 7 - a rock - very disciplined and good positioning
Griffin 6.5 - not a left back, very slow now but made a great cynical challenge to prevent CMS running through on goal
Kebe 7.5 - ok so he faded but two assists speaks for itself
Karacan 8 - great game from the lad - was everywhere - just wish he could play a few more killer passes
Legs - 7 - did a good job harrassing the opposition
Mcanuff - 9 MOTM - very tricky, came inside well and two great finishes
Alfie - 6 - like him a lot but not the best game for him
Church 7 - held the ball up well, some good skill, growing into his role

Hunt 6 - set up the third goal
Antonio - not enough time spent on the pitch

Overall a very good win, not the greatest performance but everyone did their jobs appropriately. I like the look of this team, it could go far, especially if the Pearce-Gorkss partnership stays together, also impressed with Karacan and Legs, good partnership.

We don't need the strikers to play well when Kebe and Mcanuff play like that. They are the stars of the team. Best wingers outside of the premiership.

As for Brighton, lots of good passing, CMS is class although missed some sitters. Very irritated by their diving tactics. Also what the hell was with that kit? For a fashionable town - hmm the less said the better.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 28 Dec 2011 07:27

Having viewed "Jobi's" second goal on the BBC website, it clearly gets a touch on the way in. Can't tell if it is by a defender or Church.

Scylla

by Scylla » 28 Dec 2011 07:57

FiNeRaIn
Blue Label http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Big-Board

They have always had this high and mighty opinion of themselves. Some still think we were lucky yesterday and think our stadium is poor. They have short memories when they couldn't fill their 8,000 stadium.

They are like most other football fans...bias, fickle, deluded, self appreciative and petty..they always have been. I don't even remember football fans being as annoying in the 90's as they are these days since we had the net and social networking, now peoples idiotic opinions get transmitted and full coverage. I haven't bothered going to the last few home games and I have a season ticket..partly due to not enjoying what i've seen on the pitch but mainly due to the state of the modern game and the idiot fanbases that frequent it. Its like a poor soap opera.

Welcome to the 'starting to get on a bit' club.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 28 Dec 2011 08:10

Scylla
FiNeRaIn
Blue Label http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Big-Board

They have always had this high and mighty opinion of themselves. Some still think we were lucky yesterday and think our stadium is poor. They have short memories when they couldn't fill their 8,000 stadium.

They are like most other football fans...bias, fickle, deluded, self appreciative and petty..they always have been. I don't even remember football fans being as annoying in the 90's as they are these days since we had the net and social networking, now peoples idiotic opinions get transmitted and full coverage. I haven't bothered going to the last few home games and I have a season ticket..partly due to not enjoying what i've seen on the pitch but mainly due to the state of the modern game and the idiot fanbases that frequent it. Its like a poor soap opera.

Welcome to the 'starting to get on a bit' club.

I tend to use the '....moved too far away to be able to get to games regularly....' excuse

Truth is, I don't see the same game that I was brought up on. Not better, not worse - just different

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Dec 2011 10:27

Woodcote Royal
Victor Meldrew I'm not sure how far we can go playing like this,the style is similar to Wimbledon of old without the big central striker,but Wimbledon did well,as do Stoke now,so maybe we can get back up and stay there.
We say it every year that this is a poor division but we might just turn out to be one of the best of a poor bunch and as Brian's mantra is to not think further than the next game maybe we should adopt the same philosophy as fans of not worrying what will happen if we get promoted let us get there first.
How good it feels today not to be looking down and all credit to Brian-just those 2 or 3 new players Mr Chairman and who knows?

Every summer WITHOUT FAIL some people on these pages insist that "we will struggle" (even at the start of the season when we ended up with a record breaking 106pts :| ) and when they are shown to be wrong it's because IT'S A POOR LEAGUE and now, as we surge into a playoff place having beaten all of West Ham, Leeds and Brighton in recent weeks we did it by PLAYING LIKE WIMBLEDON :P

I couldn't disagree more. This league looks rather tasty right now in my view whilst the likes of Blackburn and Bolton already look fit for the drop. I watched all of Stokes game yesterday and half their team seemed to have the first touch of a rapist yet they're in the top half of the Premiership :|

I know it's a strange concept for some but when we are near the top of the table it could be because we have a rather decent team.................................

Woodcote,
I wish you would read things properly once in a while before jumping in with your size twelves in the style of a SUN reporter.
I said that we always say on here that it is a poor division-that is a fact (i.e. some people do say it) and yet you have gone
all angry about it and mis-read by interpreting it so badly.
Incidentally I DO think it is a poor division-last season Swansea,QPR and Norwich all looked a cut above (and have held their own so far in the Premier League)whereas so far nobody has looked much especially the top three, Saints 'Boro and West Ham.
I know you don't watch us very often Woodcote but I can assure you that this division is far from "tasty" and if you care to read most of our "Back from the game " threads you will see that there are many more cases of "turgid" and "dire" than "tasty" unless of course you resort to your insulting "Reading fans know f*** all" stance.

Brian has found a winning formula and for the past 2 seasons it has worked,just as it worked for Wimbledon, with our midfielders especially closing down the opposition and our defenders hoofing the ball as far as they can into the channels.
It works for us as it did for Wimbledon and with the players at his disposal Brian has made sure that we play to our strengths of determination and fitness with our wingers providing the occasional glimpses of brilliance.
Whether we can keep this up for a full season we shall see as it demands tremendous commitment every game.

Melonhead,
Quite frankly you are a buffoon and are one of the reasons why I don't post on here any more (good job some say but don't worry it is just during the Christmas break).
Please don't kid yourself that we are the new Barcelona-nearly every team that we play against outpasses us but what the Doncasters and Brightons and Peterboros of this world don't have is the fantastic work ethic and determination that our current team has.
None of our starting 11 would IMHO get in our 2005/6 side but they are a cracking example of how far hard work can get you,just like Wimbledon of old which is in fact a compliment and not a criticism.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Dec 2011 10:37

^ great work VM, agreed with your very reasonable points as usual. You should post more often, Sir.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Dec 2011 10:53

Victor Meldrew
Melonhead,
Quite frankly you are a buffoon...

Worthy of the re-quote

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Dec 2011 11:04

Melonhead,
Quite frankly you are a buffoon and are one of the reasons why I don't post on here any more (good job some say but don't worry it is just during the Christmas break).
:lol: excellent use of buffoon VM, and if you stop posting cos one person posts things you dont like- youre not really up to this internet lark, though i can only apologise, and will try in future to be nicer to you, the last thing i want is to put people off by being positive about our club and tactics.

youre still wrong though.

Brian has found a winning formula and for the past 2 seasons it has worked,just as it worked for Wimbledon, with our midfielders especially closing down the opposition and our defenders hoofing the ball as far as they can into the channels.
It works for us as it did for Wimbledon and with the players at his disposal Brian has made sure that we play to our strengths of determination and fitness with our wingers providing the occasional glimpses of brilliance.

that simply doesnt relate to what we were doing/trying to do in the brighton game or over the last ten- just look at the free video i mentioned on the OS for two brilliant examples of pearce coming out of defence with the ball, into the opposition half and setting up two great passages of play, where we moved the ball about with one or two touches and great interchanges and movement, probing their defence through the middle, and out wide before passing short to wingers who had found space.
its nothing close to wimbledon, or hoof into the channels. and its something weve been trying more and more since ALF got here.
the beauty of mcdermott and our team is that they can shift tactically depending on the opposition, or what is happening in the game.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Dec 2011 11:30

Victor Meldrew
Woodcote Royal
Victor Meldrew I'm not sure how far we can go playing like this,the style is similar to Wimbledon of old without the big central striker,but Wimbledon did well,as do Stoke now,so maybe we can get back up and stay there.
We say it every year that this is a poor division but we might just turn out to be one of the best of a poor bunch and as Brian's mantra is to not think further than the next game maybe we should adopt the same philosophy as fans of not worrying what will happen if we get promoted let us get there first.
How good it feels today not to be looking down and all credit to Brian-just those 2 or 3 new players Mr Chairman and who knows?

Every summer WITHOUT FAIL some people on these pages insist that "we will struggle" (even at the start of the season when we ended up with a record breaking 106pts :| ) and when they are shown to be wrong it's because IT'S A POOR LEAGUE and now, as we surge into a playoff place having beaten all of West Ham, Leeds and Brighton in recent weeks we did it by PLAYING LIKE WIMBLEDON :P

I couldn't disagree more. This league looks rather tasty right now in my view whilst the likes of Blackburn and Bolton already look fit for the drop. I watched all of Stokes game yesterday and half their team seemed to have the first touch of a rapist yet they're in the top half of the Premiership :|

I know it's a strange concept for some but when we are near the top of the table it could be because we have a rather decent team.................................

Woodcote,
I wish you would read things properly once in a while before jumping in with your size twelves in the style of a SUN reporter.
I said that we always say on here that it is a poor division-that is a fact (i.e. some people do say it) and yet you have gone
all angry about it and mis-read by interpreting it so badly.
Incidentally I DO think it is a poor division-last season Swansea,QPR and Norwich all looked a cut above (and have held their own so far in the Premier League)whereas so far nobody has looked much especially the top three, Saints 'Boro and West Ham.
I know you don't watch us very often Woodcote but I can assure you that this division is far from "tasty" and if you care to read most of our "Back from the game " threads you will see that there are many more cases of "turgid" and "dire" than "tasty" unless of course you resort to your insulting "Reading fans know f*** all" stance.

Whether we can keep this up for a full season we shall see as it demands tremendous commitment every game.

Melonhead,
Please don't kid yourself that we are the new Barcelona-nearly every team that we play against outpasses us but what the Doncasters and Brightons and Peterboros of this world don't have is the fantastic work ethic and determination that our current team has.
None of our starting 11 would IMHO get in our 2005/6 side but they are a cracking example of how far hard work can get you,just like Wimbledon of old which is in fact a compliment and not a criticism.

So YOU DO thinks it's a poor league and YOU DO think we play like Wimbledon despite it being blindlingly obvious that this is not the case .....................what have I mis-read?

Talking of baffoons, they should never have more than one user name and once they "retire" there should be no way back :P

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Dec 2011 11:32

melonhead
Melonhead,
:lol: excellent use of buffoon VM, and if you stop posting cos one person posts things you dont like- youre not really up to this internet lark, though i can only apologise, and will try in future to be nicer to you, the last thing i want is to put people off by being positive about our club and tactics.

youre still wrong though.

that simply doesnt relate to what we were doing/trying to do in the brighton game or over the last ten- just look at the free video i mentioned on the OS for two brilliant examples of pearce coming out of defence with the ball, into the opposition half and setting up two great passages of play, where we moved the ball about with one or two touches and great interchanges and movement, probing their defence through the middle, and out wide before passing short to wingers who had found space.
its nothing close to wimbledon, or hoof into the channels. and its something weve been trying more and more since ALF got here.
the beauty of mcdermott and our team is that they can shift tactically depending on the opposition, or what is happening in the game.

The reason why you were so impressed by the passing was because of it's rarity.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Dec 2011 11:45

Archie's penalty Kebe 7.5 - ok so he faded but two assists speaks for itself

It really does. The more lackadaisical he's got recently, the more assists he lays on--quite happy for him to be half-arsed, he seems to do better this way.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Dec 2011 12:05

Have to endorse VM's views here. The passing football against Brighton was excellent - but something of a rarity. BMc had it tactically right before the game, he knew that Brighton would give us room to play and in the first half we did just that, to great effect. Made a nice change from the usual ball lumped into the channels percentage football we tend to see most weeks from Reading.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 28 Dec 2011 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Dec 2011 12:25

tbf i h8 the brendan rodgers style of passing for passings sake

id much prefer a team who can do it when needed/appropriate, but can also lump it away when required(see brighton getting into all sorts of trouble cos they insisted on playing out from the back every single time) and play in different styles to suits whats happening on the pitch
and yesterday showed we are certainly that, and all th ebetter for it.

i never said we were barcelona- just that recently weve been trying to play it on the deck more.
and im right

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 28 Dec 2011 12:30

floyd__streete Have to endorse VM's views here. The passing football against Brighton was excellent - but something of a rarity. BMc had it tactically right ebfore the game, he knew that Brighton would give us room to play and in the first half we did just that, to great effect. Made a nice change from the usual ball lumped into the channels percentage football we tend to see most weeks from Reading.

I'll second this. It was the best passing I have seen from a Reading side for some time. Certainly the best this season, which probably isn't saying too much.
However, I can't see much wrong with Melonhead's post either and calling him a buffoon seems inaccurate and quite unnecessary. You really should know better Victor.

<Moderator mode off>

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Dec 2011 12:44

Far Canal
floyd__streete Have to endorse VM's views here. The passing football against Brighton was excellent - but something of a rarity. BMc had it tactically right ebfore the game, he knew that Brighton would give us room to play and in the first half we did just that, to great effect. Made a nice change from the usual ball lumped into the channels percentage football we tend to see most weeks from Reading.

I'll second this. It was the best passing I have seen from a Reading side for some time. Certainly the best this season, which probably isn't saying too much.
However, I can't see much wrong with Melonhead's post either and calling him a buffoon seems inaccurate and quite unnecessary. You really should know better Victor.

<Moderator mode off>

i did indirectly say anyone who said we played like wimbledon Vs brighton was an idiot
so i abused first, so im taking my buffooning like a man

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Dec 2011 13:02

melonhead i never said we were barcelona- just that recently weve been trying to play it on the deck more.
and im right

If by 'recently' you mean 'the last hour and a half' I'd agree entirely.

Sorry Brenders, not picking on you, honestly. I actually rather like you. You are the Ghost of Promotion Future to my Ebeneezer Scrooge.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 28 Dec 2011 13:11

floyd__streete
melonhead i never said we were barcelona- just that recently weve been trying to play it on the deck more.
and im right

If by 'recently' you mean 'the last hour and a half' I'd agree entirely.

Sorry Brenders, not picking on you, honestly. I actually rather like you. You are the Ghost of Promotion Future to my Ebeneezer Scrooge.

Great use of Dickensian Yuletide imagery there Floyd. Its quality like this that made the Whiff great and makes Reading a great club to follow.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Dec 2011 13:12

I am the Marek Matejovsky of Hob Nob; creative, but my talents are wasted here 8)

203 posts