187 posts
URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Avoid The Play Offs

by URZZ » 15 Feb 2012 19:45

Big bad wolf, as one has heard

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 15 Feb 2012 19:46

Ian Royal
melonhead whats wrong with you

football is all about the drama, and the euphoric ups and savage downs.its the rollercoatser of emotions that makes it so oxf*rd great
if it goes wrong, embrace the misery, you will possibly not feel emotion like it for years.

imo winning a play off>>>>>>>>>losing a playoff>>>>>>>>>not being good enough to make the playoffs

1st>>>>> winning a play off >>> 2nd >>>> losing a play off final >>>> losing a play off >>>>>>>>>> 7th or below.

^^^ This

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Feb 2012 19:49

Ian Royal
Victor Meldrew There are two things in football that I dislike strongly:-
in 3rd spot if they hadn't borrowed a £25 million striker.

I still haven't got over the Bolton game just over 15 years ago when in a normal season we would have been promoted for finishing 2nd.

That had absolutely nothing to do with the Play Offs and everything to do with reducing the numbers in the PL.

It was still a play-off you div.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 15 Feb 2012 19:51

Not that we'd know, but I'd still imagine winning a play-off absolutely annihilates finishing 1st... Big statement I know, however hear me out... When I think to myself the way I've personally felt before, and during the Play-Off's I've been to, they are genuinely incredible days. The train there, the drinks, the laughs, the general excitement and buzz etc ... They are wonderful days, one's in which for so many hours you completely put all your life worries aside and your only concern is the match... Minus the results we've been under, I've loved my days out... I can just imagine how it would feel to spend the night in Wembley instead of having got the first train home twice instead!
Last edited by URZZ on 15 Feb 2012 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Feb 2012 19:52

SydenhamRoyal Please let us all know if your friend is going. With his track record I am only going to the final if he doesnt

There's got to be something like 10,000 people that went to all three of those. It's only about 15 years between the lot of them.

Vic: The reason we're the only team to not get promoted by finishing second is nothing to do with the Play Off system. You don't like it, I get it. That record is the fault of the Premier League though.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 15 Feb 2012 19:53

Friday's Legacy
URZZ
grey_squirrel AND we are not playing well.

8 wins out of 10, we must be doing something right. Agreed with not becoming complacent though, lots of games to come yet

squirrel is right, we're not playing well. we're huffing and puffing and getting the results, but playing well we haven't done for some time.

Another testament to McD and the coaches. Once the players gel and we start laying well then watch out.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 15 Feb 2012 19:57

I have been to all three and would bite your hand off for a fourth.
We gonna win sometime folks. Keep the faith

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 15 Feb 2012 19:58

and another - mcdermott is very much of the coppell way in preaching one game at a time. if you haven't already, have a look at the behind the scenes talk after the win at anfield in the fa cup. the way he prepares the team for each game, and the belief he instills in everyone. yes april might look daunting, but it's not beyond us by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnI-epZ05E

you'll have to excuse john madejski.
Last edited by Friday's Legacy on 15 Feb 2012 19:59, edited 1 time in total.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 15 Feb 2012 19:58

And if it's against Cardiff, that would make it a very, very amazing day.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 15 Feb 2012 20:01

Friday's Legacy and another - mcdermott is very much of the coppell way in preaching one game at a time. if you haven't already, have a look at the behind the scenes talk after the win at anfield in the fa cup. the way he prepares the team for each game, and the belief he instills in everyone. yes april might look daunting, but it's not beyond us by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnI-epZ05E

you'll have to excuse john madejski.

:lol: at the odd comment you hear, "day off tomorrow" and when Madejski walks around "is that a double-win bonus??"

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 15 Feb 2012 20:15

seahawk10
Ian Royal
melonhead whats wrong with you

football is all about the drama, and the euphoric ups and savage downs.its the rollercoatser of emotions that makes it so oxf*rd great
if it goes wrong, embrace the misery, you will possibly not feel emotion like it for years.

imo winning a play off>>>>>>>>>losing a playoff>>>>>>>>>not being good enough to make the playoffs

1st>>>>> winning a play off >>> 2nd >>>> losing a play off final >>>> losing a play off >>>>>>>>>> 7th or below.

^^^ This

This as well. I can see an argument for preferring to lose in the play-off semis rather than the final but I think I will stick with this order.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Feb 2012 20:42

URZZ Though I have to admit, our last 8 games are a bit intense; Blackpool (H), West Ham (A), Leeds (H), Brighton (A), Soton (A), Forest (H), Palace (H), Birmingham (A)

And despite the fact we play better against teams such as these, that is one hell of a run in... Let's just hope we do the majority of the business in March. I personally can't see automatic, we'd be lucky with a play-off spot.

Leeds will be out of contention and out of trouble
Brighton & Palace the same
Forest almost certainly already down.

Still some toughies, but not as tough as I thought it'd be at the start of the season.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 15 Feb 2012 20:57

pea
Extended-Phenotype Makes for hard readin', this.

Dunno about you, but I go to games to support the team, cheer on the lads and share what happens, not just to see us get promoted.

I don't think I've ever felt "we aren't going to win, so why bother showing up", even if sometimes the team obviously do...

^ This,

Anyone who doesn't should go and support Chelsea

But they ain't good no more.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 16 Feb 2012 03:04

melonhead even though we got stuffed, afterwards i felt like someone had ripped out my heart, couldnt watch the Sky advert which showed fed picking the ball out of his net, and im still not over it..........those minutes in the second half, where we were all over them, scored two and could have had more were among the most joyful and exciting memories of the last 5 years.

^^^^ this.

Great build up, amazing atmosphere,and some utterly brilliant moments in the second half where you just felt we MIGHT just pull off a miracle.

Yeah the result hurt, yes it was sickening being on the train with singing Swansea supporters and it still hurts seeing them do so well in the top flight with players like Gylfi :cry: But the memories and the joy of those first 20 minutes of the second half mean a lot more to me than any 2-0 win over Coventry or result like it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2012 08:29

I didn't much mind losing.

I didn't like that we were out-sung by Swansea, or the way we "surrendered"
and went 3-0 down. But if I could go to the exact same game with the exact
same outcome, I'd still go. You don't pass up the chance to watch your
team at Wembley

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 16 Feb 2012 08:33

We can beat saints and brighton away, pick up a point at the hammers but then likely to drop points at home to likes of blackpool

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Feb 2012 09:12

URZZ A real Reading fan would not have even considered it a, good day.

What about a real reading fan who has their priorities right? I had a cracking day out with my mates, sadly there was a rough patch in the middle but generally I'd rate the day as a whole as a 9

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Feb 2012 09:15

7.5 for me, but thats cos i went home straight away i na huff- if id gone out again afterwards it would probably have been a 9 too

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Feb 2012 09:19

We headed back to the 'ding for an Oakford, Nandos, Nags trifecta, would have been a 10 if we'd got Despers from the Hope Tap, it's what people with perspective do (NB I didn't have this perspective after the Walsall final, which did ruin my day)

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Feb 2012 09:44

What a familiar trifecta. We probably hugged and spilt chicken on each other and didn't even realise.

187 posts