Back From THE Game - Forest

126 posts
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back From THE Game - Forest

by LoyalRoyalFan » 18 Apr 2012 11:19

Was in the Upper West for this game and the atmosphere was fantastic even up there!

Had Robbie Savage behind us in the commentary area and he was celebrating with us :lol:

GET IN THERE!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Apr 2012 11:21

melonhead alfie didnt miss. keeper pulled off a worldy

Another corner not given. There were 2 or 3 times I thought we had a corner but the ref decided otherwise.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Apr 2012 11:22

reffing by numbers

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Apr 2012 11:30

Tony Le Mesmer What the hell were Forest appealing for when we scored? :|

I think they might have been appealing for the offside decision that the assistant on the East Stand had incredibly and very wrongly flagged from a throw in from which the freekick was then awarded. Either that or a push/hold-off from Legs as he took the shot (a very hopeful claim!).

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 18 Apr 2012 11:32

CayeneMatt Cummings the most obvious one crapping himself in possession.

Tbf, he does this every game, regardless of the situation

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 Apr 2012 11:39

I thought he had a pretty decent game and is going to be some player.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Apr 2012 11:40

PieEater I thought he had a pretty decent game and is going to be some player.

this

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Apr 2012 11:44

melonhead
PieEater I thought he had a pretty decent game and is going to be some player.

this

Not going to argue with the last bit but he a total shocker last night.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Apr 2012 11:44

nonsense-defensively superb

at one point, waltzed in front of their player in our box, took the ball off him, held him off with one hand, jinked one way, then the other, came away with the ball, cleared it up field to feet.

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 18 Apr 2012 11:52

Defending 1v1 situations, I can't fault Cummings. He is very good at this

But on the ball he is poor IMO, not a great deal of composure, too slow to shift the ball on and doesnt pick a pass very well. I have noticed quite a few times recently when Hunt has made a run and then goes ape at Cummings for a poor pass. I think Cummings has contributed to Kebe's relatively poor form this season too.

I prefer full backs who can attack and use the ball wisely as well as defend well(obviously). Like Ian Harte, who despite a lack of pace is still a very good defender and is brilliant on the ball to boot.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 18 Apr 2012 11:54

Forbury Lion
John Madejski's Wallet Really missed Jem as Mullins was once again very :|
Mullins did his job and contributed to our promotion, he may not be as good as Jem but that's a reflection on how good Jem is, not how bad Mullins is. The team is stronger with him than without him so let's lay off him, he's a local lad whose just played a part in getting his home team promoted - let him enjoy it without criticism as he's probably got a return to Pompey and League one football to look forward to next season.

When Brian signed him, I thought "why?" But how astute. Brian couldn't have known that his three midfielders would get injured at once, but he must have decided to cover every detail and possibility. Very very smart. I think he borrowed Cwyka on the same basis: what would happen in Kebe, McAnuff, and Hal were all out at once--or two of them? That hasn't come to pass, fortunately. Mullins was much better last night.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 18 Apr 2012 12:32

My back from the game was about 1am last night, but I am sat here at work with RFC tie on, RFC scarf on the back of my seat lording it over my mainly Bluenose supporting colleagues. Nights like last night are why despite living about 100 miles away I wouldn't give up my ST for the world. This club just keep pulling rabbits out of hats (admittedly, very carefully planned and hard earned rabbits). After game 6, and sat in 23rd with 1 point we couldn't have dreamed of last night, I'm still buzzing from it now, looking at all the pics that are appearing online and reliving it all again.

The way we did it last night just added to the occasion, and that's what keeps going over in my head. Confirmation of the Wham result, a ripple of cheers, then the start of "One goal and we're going up" (take a bow, whoever started that), an immediate lift in tempo, winning the freekick and you just knew what was coming: Harte's cross of quality when we needed it most, and the finish from Ledge. Then the explosion of noise. And what a noise. Some people claim we don't have noisy fans, but there are some occasions when we can rock a ground with the best of them. That last 12 mins or so will live with me for a long time, as do the last 13 mins at Brentford, and the last 10 at Leicester.

Well done boys. Now let's finish the job off with the title.

Barney Reading FC ? Just a unique club. I am proud to be a Reading fan, and equally proud to say I will always be a Reading fan.

^^ This. Always.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Apr 2012 13:19

PieEater
melonhead alfie didnt miss. keeper pulled off a worldy

Another corner not given. There were 2 or 3 times I thought we had a corner but the ref decided otherwise.

Amazingly for a team that usually gets loads of corners in a game there were NO corners in the first half for either team and IIRC only max of two or three in the second.
I think Mullins is the only Reading boy in our side so I reckon he will have been as made up as the rest of them.
Well done Forest fans for applauding our players at the end.

I'm still shell shocked that some how we have got promotion-last night was one of many poor games that we managed to win.
Big credit to players,manager and coaches for getting the maximum out of some journeymen players with the players giving their very best in every game,something that doesn''t happen with teams like West Ham and Leicester where the players have greater ability but just don't put it all in week-in,week-out.
Some fans would say that is the case with Jimmy but I'm sure we will find out later that he has been carrying an injury for most of the second half off the season.

As other posters said this is in some ways better than last time despite having lost at least 8 games more because in 2006 we looked like champions from early on whereas this time with astute signings of experienced players we have developed a winning mentality that has seen us through.
BTW it was good that Radio Berks stayed on air until midnight because I felt part of it all still for the whole journey home even if every caller generally just said "unbelievable". :D
The reflected glory today is enjoyable especially when you live in an area where people are mainly Saints fans and a few forever envious Bournemouth fans.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Apr 2012 13:21

Loved the buzz round the stadium as news of the Brisol Ciy/West Ham draw got going and it just got better from then on with the goal and the clearance off the line being heart-stopping moments. Just brilliant watching everyone gathering ready for the pitch invasion then running on. Joined in myself a little later and it felt a little surreal being on the Reading turf looking back at the stands (have to say, the grass looked really fine, so compliments to the ground staff). I haven't been involved in a promotion before so it's a moment that will live long in the memory. Was hoping it would happen last night. Can enjoy the last few games without the pain now. :D

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 18 Apr 2012 13:22

What's been amazing about the last few weeks is that at the time I thought our chances of going up were ruined by Leeds and their tactics, leading to the injuries of the two players that completely run our show.

Somehow, via Mcdermotts incredible foresight and an amazing squad belief we managed to pull through 3 games where we were a shadow of the team we can be and not just keep winning but win against the top side in the league.

Absolutely incredible.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Apr 2012 13:23

Victor Meldrew Amazingly for a team that usually gets loads of corners in a game there were NO corners in the first half for either team and IIRC only max of two or three in the second.

There was 4 corners in the match, all for Forest, and one of those was in the first half very early on (about 5 minutes in).

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 18 Apr 2012 13:50

Boy do I have a headache today

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 18 Apr 2012 13:51

ZacNaloen What's been amazing about the last few weeks is that at the time I thought our chances of going up were ruined by Leeds and their tactics, leading to the injuries of the two players that completely run our show.

Somehow, via Mcdermotts incredible foresight and an amazing squad belief we managed to pull through 3 games where we were a shadow of the team we can be and not just keep winning but win against the top side in the league.

Absolutely incredible.

Absolutely spot on post, word for word. I thought this last night, those players would die for each other

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 18 Apr 2012 16:02

Firstly can I just thank RFC for timing their promotion to happen on the day before my birthday? Best present ever.

Didn't hear many chants after the goal from us as the whole of Y26 piled down the stairs to get ready for the invasion. Rubbed Jimmys head and gave Harte a hug, was sure I'd missed the Nags bus, made it and stayed there til midnight. Two German birds in there had no idea what was going on :lol: Got to bed at 1230 after may beers and had to get up at 6 to teach kids. Loads of 14 and 15 year lads coming up to me at school all day asking if I'd gone on the pitch, proud day, great scenes!

8)

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 18 Apr 2012 17:15

St Pauli Firstly can I just thank RFC for timing their promotion to happen on the day before my birthday? Best present ever.

Didn't hear many chants after the goal from us as the whole of Y26 piled down the stairs to get ready for the invasion. Rubbed Jimmys head and gave Harte a hug, was sure I'd missed the Nags bus, made it and stayed there til midnight. Two German birds in there had no idea what was going on :lol: Got to bed at 1230 after may beers and had to get up at 6 to teach kids. Loads of 14 and 15 year lads coming up to me at school all day asking if I'd gone on the pitch, proud day, great scenes!

8)

Nice one and Happy Birthday!

126 posts