Premier League squad rules & how they may affect us

283 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Brian - new signings

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2012 09:12

:D 8)

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 27 Apr 2012 09:16

winchester_royal I don't think we should believe a word he says for the next 3 months.

I've never trusted a word he says. It's the shifty eyes.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Apr 2012 09:22

Seal
marcusopp
Handsome Man I hope that's the maximum: Three first teamers and a bit of cover would be good.

I want to see the Reading team I supported last year in the Prem, not a whole new team.

Exactly, they won promotion, so deserve a crack the the premiership.
Notice how both norwich and swansea kapt their squads pretty much the same and are mid-table while QPR made wholesale changes and are struggling to gel.
I think mullins and connolly would be great signings. Good cover without expecting a starting place.

The Norwich & Swansea "keeping their their squads the same" thing is a fcking myth, which as Reading fans we should be embarrassed to be associated with. Sort of sh1te your mate down the pub who watches Utd on the telly would come out with.

Norwich summer signings

James Vaughan
Steve Morison
Elliott Bennett
Ritchie De Laet
Bradley Johnson
Anthony Pilkington
Kyle Naughton
Daniel Ayala

Swansea summer signings

Vorm
Graham
Routledge
Lita
Bessone
Moreira
Situ
Tremmel

Precisely. The nucleus of the squad is ok but the key is to avoid relegation. Therefore, improving the squad is fundamental. Remember that this is not 2006 where we scored a bucket load of goals. Defensively, this season has been exceptional but next season will be harder. I have every confidence in BMcD etc to do the right thing.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 27 Apr 2012 09:33

But reports linking Royals with a move for their former star Gylfi Sigurdsson, currently on loan at Swansea City from Hoffenheim, are wide of the mark.

McDermott said: “I would think that Gylfi would have his pick of the top four clubs in the country. There is no doubt about that.

“Could he not play for Barcelona? I think he could. I believe that. He has such a fantastic mentality and nothing would faze him. He could play at any club in the world. He’s as good as anyone I’ve seen.”

When asked about a double £8million swoop for Crystal Palace stars Wilfried Zaha and Nathaniel Clyne, McDermott added: “No. That’s a lot of money too.”

Lillestrom’s Icelandic striker Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson is on Reading’s radar and left-back Wayne Bridge, currently on loan at Sunderland from Manchester City, is still attracting interest.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... _preseason

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 27 Apr 2012 09:36

Bring Back The SB Just on SSN saying 5 new signings.

Matt Mills
Michael Brown
Joey Barton
Kevin Nolan
Carlos Tevez

Stadium extension plans to include major increase in the size of the dressing room to incorperate the new egos.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Apr 2012 09:49

Regarding Gylfi, can we just dream for minute? Forget the points against us for a sec;

He loves us, the team, the manager and could feasibly see us as being a team who are destined, with his help, to be a premier league mainstay with expanding stadium and financial clout. He will know no other club can match the camaraderie and team ethic, and no other fanbase will love him as much as we do.

On paper, we COULD afford him at 10m, (could it not ‘technically’ be seen as 3m, considering we sold him for 7!) and it could be justified as bringing our talisman back home. We know he wouldn’t be a gamble, he wouldn’t need time to settle and he without question is capable in the Premier League.

Maybe we couldn’t match wages (fairly, without bumping everyone up) but sometimes, wages aren’t everything?

Yeah, I know. Head in f/cking clouds. But it’s so fluffy up here.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 27 Apr 2012 09:51

Extended-Phenotype Regarding Gylfi, can we just dream for minute? Forget the points against us for a sec;

He loves us, the team, the manager and could feasibly see us as being a team who are destined, with his help, to be a premier league mainstay with expanding stadium and financial clout. He will know no other club can match the camaraderie and team ethic, and no other fanbase will love him as much as we do.

On paper, we COULD afford him at 10m, (could it not ‘technically’ be seen as 3m, considering we sold him for 7!) and it could be justified as bringing our talisman back home. We know he wouldn’t be a gamble, he wouldn’t need time to settle and he without question is capable in the Premier League.

Maybe we couldn’t match wages (fairly, without bumping everyone up) but sometimes, wages aren’t everything?

its over mate, let it go, if you love someone let him go, put on your celine dione album and you'll be reet by the end.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Apr 2012 09:52

Libertine I don't think it'll be Gylfi :cry: but I do think one of our signings will be a £10m and in excess of £40k a week player, either a CM or striker I would guess. The rest will be very sensible signings who fit in well with the club's current ethos.

i cannot see us paying anyone 40k a week. and rightly so

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 27 Apr 2012 09:55

HoneyRoastHoax
Extended-Phenotype Regarding Gylfi, can we just dream for minute? Forget the points against us for a sec;

its over mate, let it go, if you love someone let him go, put on your celine dione album and you'll be reet by the end.

You should never let go of your dreams.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Apr 2012 10:06

HoneyRoastHoax

Near, far, wherever you are (sob), I believe that the heart does…(sob)

…go (sob)
on

(uncontrollable sobbing)
(pause)

(wanks)

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 27 Apr 2012 10:12

Bless his little cotton socks

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2012 10:19

Pretty much this

Maguire Core will be players from this squad but i'd still expect three first team regulars to come in over the summer, plus more.

I foresee quite a few departures too - massive squad this season and anyone that isn't likely to cut it at the top may as well move on now.

...with a little bit of this thrown in

winchester_royal I don't think we should believe a word he says for the next 3 months.

It won't take a massive overhaul but it will need quite significant tweaks in order to make both the first 11 competitive but even more so, to add much better depth. The changes that McDermott made as soon as he had some funds shows how little faith he really had in some of the squad players, and I'd expect to see a bit more of that kind of movement over the summer.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2012 10:21

melonhead
Libertine I don't think it'll be Gylfi :cry: but I do think one of our signings will be a £10m and in excess of £40k a week player, either a CM or striker I would guess. The rest will be very sensible signings who fit in well with the club's current ethos.

We paid £25k a week in the Championship a few years ago so I really don't think we'll be far off that kind of wages for the right players. It's the going rate for certain types and we'll be looking to compete I'm sure.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 27 Apr 2012 10:33

Feels to me that if the Rodgers-replaces-Harry at Spurs rumours are correct, then that places Gylfi to Spurs as the most likely outcome. You've got to assume that one or both of Modric and VDV would leave post-Harry, so surely Rodgers would want his young favourite in there. Us v Spurs as a choice for Gylfi....hmmmm, he have to love Reading A LOT.

Lots of Ifs in there of course.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Apr 2012 11:12

Norwich summer signings

3 of the 8 signings haven't exactly set the place on fire
and none of the other 5 is an ever-present

26 (03) Kyle Naughton
22 (06) Anthony Pilkington
22 (03) Bradley Johnson
21 (10) Steve Morison
19 (11) Elliott Bennett

06 (00) Ritchie De Laet
06 (01) Daniel Ayala
01 (03) James Vaughan

Swansea summer signings

3 Signings with an impact, Lita? and 4 others

34 (00) Vorm
29 (04) Graham
17 (10) Routledge

04 (12) Lita
00 (01) Tremmel
00 (01) Bessone
00 (00) Moreira
00 (00) Situ

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Apr 2012 11:24

Hoop Blah
melonhead

We paid £25k a week in the Championship a few years ago so I really don't think we'll be far off that kind of wages for the right players. It's the going rate for certain types and we'll be looking to compete I'm sure.

that was 1st year down with parachutes, to keep our best players.
current players on 5-15 kpw
reckon 20-30k will be enough for them.
cant see us smashing that structure.
could be wrong obv.

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 27 Apr 2012 11:26

Snowball Norwich summer signings

26 (03) Kyle Naughton
22 (03) Bradley Johnson
21 (10) Steve Morison
19 (11) Elliott Bennett

06 (00) Ritchie De Laet
06 (01) Daniel Ayala
01 (03) James Vaughan

Swansea summer signings

34 (00) Vorm
29 (04) Graham
17 (10) Routledge

04 (12) Lita
00 (01) Tremmel
00 (01) Bessone
00 (00) Moreira
00 (00) Situ

Please, noone finds your stats interesting. Stop them

redscot

by redscot » 27 Apr 2012 11:35

[/quote]Please, noone finds your stats interesting. Stop them[/quote]

Wrong. Lots of people find them interesting, but presented in a strange way. Often a large post is written, when a short one would get the point across.

The point Snowie made is a valid one. There is no way to buy yourself success. You need a team hungry for success and on the up. There is nothing wrong in waiting and see how things are going first part of the season and at christmas exchange the players whom arnt good enough for the premiership.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Apr 2012 11:46

Bring Back The SB
Snowball Norwich summer signings

26 (03) Kyle Naughton
22 (03) Bradley Johnson
21 (10) Steve Morison
19 (11) Elliott Bennett

06 (00) Ritchie De Laet
06 (01) Daniel Ayala
01 (03) James Vaughan

Swansea summer signings

34 (00) Vorm
29 (04) Graham
17 (10) Routledge

04 (12) Lita
00 (01) Tremmel
00 (01) Bessone
00 (00) Moreira
00 (00) Situ

Please, noone finds your stats interesting. Stop them

Don't forget Howson has come in from Leeds for decent money and done well for Norwich since January. Also, Kyle Naughton is on loan from Spurs.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 27 Apr 2012 11:47

Debates about whether Snowball's stats are interesting are less interesting than Snowball's stats.

283 posts