SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

308 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Stephen Kelly

by Simon's Church » 11 Jan 2013 16:43

Royal Lady
Royalwaster
bracksroyal10 http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fulham-defender-stephen-kelly-undergoing-medical-at-reading-8448145.html

Sorry if this has already been posted but looks like its happening tonight. "Major Signing"

Great journalism that one - I quote:

"We will try to get one or two players in," Jol said of his January transfer plans. "One example is right-back as Stephen Kelly, who went for a medical at Reading today. It is close to completion.

Either Jol is a complete idiot who confuses bring a player in and shipping one out or the journo mixed up a quote by McD with another one with by Jol.

Isn't he saying one example of a player he will get in is a right back, because Kelly is close to completing a move to Reading? :|

Yeah, not sure what the confusion is here Royalwaster?

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 11 Jan 2013 16:43

Put it this way. Reading FC are going to have one hell of a strong team next season (in the championship) and that's what I truly believe the club are gearing up for.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 11 Jan 2013 16:45

noelgallagher Put it this way. Reading FC are going to have one hell of a strong team next season (in the championship) and that's what I truly believe the club are gearing up for.

I'm inclined to agree.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Jan 2013 16:45

Has the "Rather have Matthew Kelly" joke been done yet?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2013 16:48

Brings our Irish contingent back up to scratch.
Let's hope he turns out to be better than the last right-back that we signed from Fulham.
All we need now is Sidwell,Berbatov and Ruiz and we might just stay up.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2013 16:50

need at least 1 regulary playing icelandic first

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 11 Jan 2013 16:50

Are we going to have a strong team for the Championship or do they all have get-out clauses? :|

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 11 Jan 2013 16:54

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2013 17:02

Royal Lady Are we going to have a strong team for the Championship or do they all have get-out clauses? :|

i doubt very much whether anyone has a clause that says; if we are relegated then we will release you.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2013 17:07

winchester_royal
Ian Royal I'd really, really like to see us sign at least one more midfielder who is there to pull the strings, or score goals and attack. We're still rather one dimensional there. Albeit with a lot more choice and probably a bit more quality.

I'm going to disagree with you there IR, think we have most bases covered in midfield now.

Why am I not surprised right now? :lol:

I think our wings are ok... clear improvements on Kebe and McAnuff would be welcome, but I see the root cause lack of quality possession and ideas in midfield. With that I think we'll see less hoofing, more possession, so less pressure and more opportunities to get wingers forward with more options. Which I think will see them do better.

Agree on Pog. He's not a speedy channel runner, but he's doing a decent job now and with better possession and better passing to feet, I think he'd continue to have a bigger and bigger impact.

I see your list slightly differently. But it's all opinions and you rarely get anyone who's 100% right (hell sometimes 50% would be nice :wink: )

Leigertwood / Akpan: defensive (strength) midfielder who plays it simple, - low goal threat, low creative passing threat. Question marks over quality at this level at best.
Tabb / Karacan: defensive (hastling) midfielder - low goal threat, low creative passing threat.
Good enough with better players around them.
Guthrie: Deeper play-maker - low goal threat, good creative passing threat (when he's on form Brendy)

Carrico seems to me (from the very little highlights), to be like a cross between Guthrie and Legs. Or maybe a less athletic Harper who can tackle. More defensive than Guthrie, but a better passer Legs.

So I think that's 5 players who basically perform the same roll, just in different ways (with Carrico hopefully doing it best). And Guthrie, who is a more traditional all round midfielder, rather than attacking, particularly creative or defensive.

That still leaves a box to box goalscorer (although Akpan *could* be that, I have much less optimism than you. Certainly at this level.) or a more number 10 player. If we could play 4-4-2 I don't think we'd need this nearly as much as we'd have a second striker. But we haven't been able to.

If Carrico can live up to his highlights, my mouth is watering at the prospect of him Guthrie and Tabb in the Championship as a midfield. You may notice I'm really starting to rate Tabb.

Anyhoo. I'm in the Kelly's a good signing camp. No doubt someone will find fault with that.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2013 17:11

I see the root cause lack of quality possession and ideas in midfield. With that I think we'll see less hoofing, more possession, so less pressure and more opportunities to get wingers forward with more options. Which I think will see them do better.

surely they are hoping that the addition of defenders/midfielders who are comfortable with the ball will accomplish that

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Jan 2013 17:14

Just keeping you on your toes :wink:

I agree that the root of the problems this season has been down to lack of quality in possession in midfield. I think with Karacan returning to full fitness, Guthrie coming back into favour, and the two new additions our problems in the middle are pretty much solved. Think Akpan is more a goal-threat than we're giving him credit for. 6 goals in half a season is not to be sniffed at, especially as he was playing quite deep for Crawley. Brian actually said in an interview that he sees Akpan as someone who will get forward and be a threat as opposed to Carrico who shall be sitting deep. Saying that I can fully understand those doubting his ability to step up to this level..but I have a sneaky feeling he could turn out to be a star. Either way I think that it's our quality in the final third that needs working on.

You're right though, this is the Stephen Kelly thread and I do agree with your position on him. :)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2013 17:18

melonhead
I see the root cause lack of quality possession and ideas in midfield. With that I think we'll see less hoofing, more possession, so less pressure and more opportunities to get wingers forward with more options. Which I think will see them do better.

surely they are hoping that the addition of defenders/midfielders who are comfortable with the ball will accomplish that

Well yes, I remain to be convinced of how much success it'll have and think it's still missing a piece of the puzzle, but we certainly have a better squad than we did on December 31st.

Kicking Gorkss and (I'm sorry to say) Morrison out the team has certainly increased our ability to hold onto the ball.

...............Federici
..Kelly, Mariappa, Pearce, Shorey*
.....Guthrie, Carrico, Tabb*
Kebe..........................McAnuff
.................Pog

(* sulks or Harte, or Karacan)

Looks a metric shittonne better than

.............Federici
Gunter, Gorkss, Morrison, Shorey
McAnuff, Legs, Tabb, Robson-Kanu
...........ALF Roberts
Last edited by Ian Royal on 11 Jan 2013 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 11 Jan 2013 17:23

melonhead
Royal Lady Are we going to have a strong team for the Championship or do they all have get-out clauses? :|

i doubt very much whether anyone has a clause that says; if we are relegated then we will release you.

I bet you Pog has a clause .....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Jan 2013 17:25

that we will release him for free at the end of the season?

im sure the wages will mean he will be sold ASAP

but an automatic clause?

not saying its not in there, it could be, id just be massively surprised

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2013 17:29

Victor Meldrew Brings our Irish contingent back up to scratch.
Let's hope he turns out to be better than the last right-back that we signed from Fulham.
All we need now is Sidwell,Berbatov and Ruiz and we might just stay up.

A further thought-we could now have 5 Irish in our match-day 18.
Brian,rather than Micks and friendlies in Ireland how about a few Manuels after all Spain is where all the top footballers are and their clubs are desperate for money right now. :wink:

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 11 Jan 2013 17:43

Asked a Fulham season ticket holder mate on SK and he said "should be good for us if he plays consistently, if he's in and out of the team he's a bit shit and will make mistakes".

Personally I think it would be a pretty solid signing for us, good experience and fairly versatile, can't really expect much more than this in our current position.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2013 17:49

melonhead that we will release him for free at the end of the season?

im sure the wages will mean he will be sold ASAP

but an automatic clause?

not saying its not in there, it could be, id just be massively surprised

I'm willing to say that there is zero chance Pog has a clause in his contract that terminates his employment with RFC on relegation leaving him a free agent.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jan 2013 18:49

Confirmed two and a half year deal. Welcome Stephen x

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Jan 2013 18:50

308 posts