Why wont the club tell us the truth?

196 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Why wont the club tell us the truth?

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 16:46

NewCorkSeth
melonhead what if they couldnt physically have tried any harder?

Well I assume they could have tried harder as reports from our man at the Madejski yesterday said they didn't look stressed at all (I would expect if they were failing to meet deadlines and things they would at least be somewhat tense)

But if they could not have tried any harder then I would suggest not releasing a statement of intent at the start of the summer to get in 6 players, then not get in 6 players. Tell us the positions they want to strengthen, not strengthen those positions. Praise how we have not had to sell any first team players, then sell 2 first team players. And finally, patronize the fans by saying "Hey, we could still get someone on a free guys!" They have built up the fans expectations to the point were we expect them to accomplish what they have told us they are trying to do (Anything further, like why haven't we spent 10 million on Rhodes, is the fault of the fan being deluded and therefore they cannot blame the club (but they'll try)) and if they don't then they failed and should acknowledged that!

Things a club says they are hoping to do during the summer is the minimum fans should expect done during the summer. If they don't accomplish goals they are comfortable enough to tell the press then they should be comfortable enough to hold there hands up and say "This didn't go as well as planned, not completely our fault, we're sorry". If they don't think they are going to accomplish the goals, then don't tell the f**king fans those goals! Imagine if Wenger told everyone at the start of the summer he wanted 6 players and the he only signed two on a free and Ozil. The fans would be nowhere near as happy as they would still be saying where are those other players you promised??

My problem is with talking to the fans and telling us what we want to hear all summer and then not living up to the hype. I am delighted with the signings we made but not with the ones we didn't/transfers out. I will try my best to be patient as its a new regime but they built up expectations, not me.

lol.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 16:47

Dixeyroyal
Ouroboros I'm enjoying the black comedy of a transfer window that begins with us buying a former Real Madrid player and ends with us being lambasted for lack of ambition because we failed to meet the demands of a former Liverpool, Juventus and PSG player.

Do you actually get paid by the club to defend their transfer policies and uphold the utopian RFC world of spending oxf*rd all and expecting the fans to swallow it year after year?

we spend what we can afford to spend if we are able to bring in the right players

swallow whatever you like

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Sep 2013 16:48

melonhead
NewCorkSeth
melonhead what if they couldnt physically have tried any harder?

Well I assume they could have tried harder as reports from our man at the Madejski yesterday said they didn't look stressed at all (I would expect if they were failing to meet deadlines and things they would at least be somewhat tense)

But if they could not have tried any harder then I would suggest not releasing a statement of intent at the start of the summer to get in 6 players, then not get in 6 players. Tell us the positions they want to strengthen, not strengthen those positions. Praise how we have not had to sell any first team players, then sell 2 first team players. And finally, patronize the fans by saying "Hey, we could still get someone on a free guys!" They have built up the fans expectations to the point were we expect them to accomplish what they have told us they are trying to do (Anything further, like why haven't we spent 10 million on Rhodes, is the fault of the fan being deluded and therefore they cannot blame the club (but they'll try)) and if they don't then they failed and should acknowledged that!

Things a club says they are hoping to do during the summer is the minimum fans should expect done during the summer. If they don't accomplish goals they are comfortable enough to tell the press then they should be comfortable enough to hold there hands up and say "This didn't go as well as planned, not completely our fault, we're sorry". If they don't think they are going to accomplish the goals, then don't tell the f**king fans those goals! Imagine if Wenger told everyone at the start of the summer he wanted 6 players and the he only signed two on a free and Ozil. The fans would be nowhere near as happy as they would still be saying where are those other players you promised??

My problem is with talking to the fans and telling us what we want to hear all summer and then not living up to the hype. I am delighted with the signings we made but not with the ones we didn't/transfers out. I will try my best to be patient as its a new regime but they built up expectations, not me.

lol.

-_-
If you weren't so beautiful I would hate you.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2013 16:48

Rational complaint = club says it will bring in new players including much needed striker then doesn't

Not a lot to argue with there, so mutate that into

Irrational complaint = I'm going to kill everyone in a local primary school then turn the gun on myself because RFC won't spend billions more than we can afford

Argue with that, get patted on back, feel like a hero. Treat myself to a biscuit or something.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Sep 2013 16:51

Extended-Phenotype Rational complaint = club says it will bring in new players including much needed striker then doesn't

Irrational complaint = I'm going to kill everyone in a local primary school then turn the gun on myself because RFC won't spend billions more than we can afford

Argue with that, get patted on back, BE a hero. Treat myself to a biscuit or something.

Edited for you

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 03 Sep 2013 16:53

Extended-Phenotype Rational complaint = club says it will bring in new players including much needed striker then doesn't

Argue with that, get patted on back, feel like a hero. Treat myself to a biscuit or something.

I don't have a problem with the disappointment. It's the tin foil hat brigade that are convinced it was all just a ploy to sell season tickets, which is getting a little grating. We already have The Siege foaming at the mouth at the lack of signings ad finem, which is quite enough.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 16:56

NewCorkSeth
melonhead
NewCorkSeth

lol.

-_-
If you weren't so beautiful I would hate you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

new cork seth- winner of the coveted brendymelon 'new' favourite poster award for October: week 1.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 03 Sep 2013 16:57

melonhead
Dixeyroyal
Ouroboros I'm enjoying the black comedy of a transfer window that begins with us buying a former Real Madrid player and ends with us being lambasted for lack of ambition because we failed to meet the demands of a former Liverpool, Juventus and PSG player.

Do you actually get paid by the club to defend their transfer policies and uphold the utopian RFC world of spending oxf*rd all and expecting the fans to swallow it year after year?

we spend what we can afford to spend if we are able to bring in the right players

swallow whatever you like

OK so to kind of prove a point and give you another opportunity to defend everything RFC, how do you explain Charlie Austin's agent admitting that he has never had contact from anyone at Reading during this or any other transfer window?

If i remember rightly, the link with Austin was not just idle tabloid speculation, it was actually confirmed by the club.

So the arguments posted by numerous people today (and defended by those that think that their long service to HNA deems them correct at all times) are actually quite accurate, the fact remains that the club are oxf*rd liars!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 16:59

dont remember any club confirmed interest in austin. official quote please.

maybe we simply asked the club, they said 4 million and we said, we cant afford that, thanks for talking.
maybe we didnt even want him.

maybe the interest you qoute was simply adkins idly thinking at one point, while gardening. 'i am generally interested in charlie austin, for so many reasons"
Last edited by melonhead on 03 Sep 2013 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2013 17:00

Magic Hat

I don't have a problem with the disappointment. It's the tin foil hat brigade that are convinced it was all just a ploy to sell season tickets, which is getting a little grating. We already have The Siege foaming at the mouth at the lack of signings ad finem, which is quite enough.

There is about three people foaming at the mouth. That's about as many players as we have signed this summer. The rest are just hacked off with the club failing to match the words with actions. I think that's totally understandable.

Boo hoo, it's hard to sign players. Maybe we need to find people who can do their jobs properly. Seem to be quite a few working for other clubs; start looking there.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 17:00

Exactly Dixieroyal person who I've never noticed before today!

Who were the two players whose deals "fell through" that Dellor was reporting on twitter - how come absolutely nobody has any info whatsoever on them? And there were no rumours about them....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 17:01

:D :D :D :D :D

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 17:02

Extended-Phenotype
Magic Hat

There is about three people foaming at the mouth. That's about as many players as we have signed this summer. The rest are just hacked off with the club failing to match the words with actions. I think that's totally understandable.

Boo hoo, it's hard to sign players. Maybe we need to find people who can do their jobs properly. Seem to be quite a few working for other clubs; start looking there.

which ones?

is there anything about those clubs set ups that would make it easier to attract players?
just off the top of your head?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 17:03

Maybe they pay the going rate and have a good plan for promotion?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 17:05

Royal Lady Maybe they pay the going rate and have a good plan for promotion?

:roll:

maybe they have the money that we dont, maybe they have a big name manager who has worked with the players before, maybe they are a bigger club, maybe there are a million reasons that aren't really in the control of adkins, or hammond.

we pay the going rate in wages, and we pay what we can afford in fees
it is how it is, complaining, or sacking people over it wont change that

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Sep 2013 17:06

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype

which ones?

is there anything about those clubs set ups that would make it easier to attract players?

Off the top of my head let's see: their player evaluation is based in this century?

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 03 Sep 2013 17:11

Royal Lady Exactly Dixieroyal person who I've never noticed before today!

Who were the two players whose deals "fell through" that Dellor was reporting on twitter - how come absolutely nobody has any info whatsoever on them? And there were no rumours about them....

Silly me, I forgot that you needed a HKA long service award to have a valid point!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Sep 2013 17:16

Royal Lady Maybe they pay the going rate and have a good plan for promotion?

Jesus Christ, I bet we pay more in wages this season than any other championship season in the past.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 17:17

Extended-Phenotype
melonhead
Extended-Phenotype

which ones?

Off the top of my head let's see: their player evaluation is based in this century?

and they can afford it to be?

Esteban

by Esteban » 03 Sep 2013 17:30

Dixeyroyal OK so to kind of prove a point and give you another opportunity to defend everything RFC, how do you explain Charlie Austin's agent admitting that he has never had contact from anyone at Reading during this or any other transfer window?

If i remember rightly, the link with Austin was not just idle tabloid speculation, it was actually confirmed by the club.

So the arguments posted by numerous people today (and defended by those that think that their long service to HNA deems them correct at all times) are actually quite accurate, the fact remains that the club are oxf*rd liars!

Charlie Watts said that he heard 'a whisper' that Reading were interested in Charlie Austin. No one at the club came out and said that we had made any contact whatsoever, as far as I can recall.

Clearly the club's own expectations haven't been met, as they have said we are still active. It's plausible that the two deals that Dellor tweeted had fallen through yesterday are still on the table and are being switched to loan deals or that the player had an unexpected offer from a club in a better league.

We spent last night and this morning, negotiating with a player from Paris Saint Germain and those talks continue. This is the PSG who reached the Champions League quarter final last season. We're not talking about a league 1 player, who's wage demands and ambitions we can easily match!

The club haven't once come out and said "We promise to sign x number of players in this window." Zingarevich said that they felt we needed 5-7 players at the start of the window. Three in early, plus Pearce and HRK signing on makes five. Clearly, we were in for more.

Howe said that two first team players would leave - Kebe and Mariappa

Adkins said he wanted to get three players in - two deals that didn't happen yesterday, plus Sissoko.

Nobody lied. Deals didn't happen that perhaps they thought they could get done in time, so we've said we'll consider free transfers and the loan market. Who is to say that some very good deals won't be done by the time we play Brighton and Leeds?

I can understand the frustration, but the anger and finger pointing is crazy. Time to keep your powder dry for a couple of weeks and see how things turn out, rather than assembling a lynch mob, I'd say.

196 posts