Baird 7
Guthrie 5
Obita 6
McCleary 7
Kanu 6
Pog 8

Good response tbf

Some nonsensical ratings there.

McCarthy is right! the others -1 off melon head scores, I reckon is more accurate.

I quite enjoyed it tbf, thought we would be on the end of a tooling after they hit the bar but we contained and looked a lot better in the 2nd. We are what we are, top 8 side, no more than that. QPR will be top 4.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG QPR

by Cripple Creek » 10 Nov 2013 07:40

Reading all the BTFG reports on here, from Australia, on the season so far, I can't help but get the impression that the quality of the games this season is mediocre and that sounds, if anything, a little flattering.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Nov 2013 08:08

We really are a pessimistic lot.

QPR have an awesome squad, and when I heard the two teams I thought we'd do well to only lose 0-3. Kranjar and Johnson on THEIR BENCH? Are you serious?

We lack deep confidence, and, I think, a leader, and a game-changer, and we started against a side that would go top if they beat us (and us off the back of a very bad result), plus we were starting a centre-back who looked like he was a spent force, a RB playing left, a kid in midfield, HRK who still hasn't recaptured his form of 2012-13.

QPR had already had 9 clean sheets this year, in 14 games. IMO they should still be favourites for top spot. They still are, odds-on with some bookies!

We started nervously and Gorkss looked both nervous and rusty (he said more or less that after the game), and they had a flurry of chances. They broke really well, looked to have no weaknesses, and were really up for it. Had they scored in that first ten minutes, 0-3 was a real possibility.

When they hit the bar I thought it was maybe an error by McCarthy who looked like he'd thought it was going well over, but he redeemed himself from that and the few other errors he made with a series of very good saves, and will surely, as Adkins says, eventually be a keeper in the top 4/6 of the Premiership. We sometimes forget he's a kid with loads of improvement in him, still.

I think we should praise the way RFC sorted itself out and ground its way back into the game. Apart from that first ten minutes we were on a par with a quality side and had periods where we looked seriously good, we scored a very good goal through McCleary, and cut them open for Obita's chance saved by Green's trailing leg. Had that gone in we'd've won.

Guthrie was again immense. He is a great player and we need to keep him. Pog was absolutely awesome; brave, persistent, held the ball up but also won it countless times in near-hopeless situations. He certainly serves a 9 in my book.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Nov 2013 08:11

Special mention for Gorkss. He got better an better as the game went on.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Nov 2013 09:01

Snowball Special mention for Gorkss. He got better an better as the game went on.

And then ended it poorly again. I can understand the point made above about Adkins having to make some change after last week, but I think it was harsh on Pearce judged on first team performances this season as I think he's been the most consistent and reliable of our defenders.

I also agree with snowball that it appears we lack a bit of character in the side, and that natural calming leader to keep things on an even keel when things go against us.

As for the game, I thought we played reasonably well in parts again. At times we looked miles off though as QPR pulled us apart. Earlier in the season many on here were saying how Adkins has to win the league as he has the strongest squad in the division. Hopefully after yesterday people will realise that's not quite the case.

We desperately need a proper left back to act as cover for Bridge, especially now he's likely out for 6 weeks. A loan signing should be on the cards (David Fox perhaps, or maybe Bertrand if we can get really lucky!) as we need some balance down the left.

Again Robson-Kanu showed his limitations and it was like playing with ten men at times yesterday.

Finally, the goal that cost us what could've been an unlikely victory on the balance of play. Awful defending from Gorks and Gunter, it McCarthy really should've been in a position to save the free kick once Gunter bottled it. The wall was fine but McCarthy started half a yard too far to his right and probably with his weight on the wrong foot which meant he was too stretched to keep it out. Three poor errors which cost us 2 valuable points.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 10 Nov 2013 09:02

The first 15 were a complete shambles but fair play to the players who turned the tide and were unlucky not to win.

The players need to take confidence from this. We should be confident enough to destroy most of the teams in this league.

The tempo we play at is so important. When we play with a high tempo we look so much better. Problem is that too many times this season we appear to be labouring.

We need to bring back pardews 'tenacity, spirit and flair'.

I wish we could practice throw ins. No movement at all! Every other team can do it but throw ins from us end up in us gifting it to the opposition and letting them break into dangerous situations. Its got to the point where I would rather we jusr kicked it out rather than had the throw ourselves.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 10 Nov 2013 09:10

I really dont get the people giving Gorkss and Gunter good ratings, they cost us a win.

A stupid lethargic tackle on the edge of the box(gorkss) and then doing his best to get out of the way in a 'wall' (gunter)

Gunter is spineless.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 10 Nov 2013 10:23

Every time HRK dropped short and McCleary came in from the wing, and they both moved into the pocket between the Midfield and defence we looked seriously dangerous.

WE DON'T oxf*rd DO THAT ENOUGH.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Nov 2013 10:24

Twice we would have been in if HRK had managed to knock it round pClint Hill.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 Nov 2013 11:01

loyalroyal4life QPR really do have an amazing squad, be shocked if they didn't go up

About as shocked as when they went down?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2013 11:54

Snowball Special mention for Gorkss. He got better an better as the game went on.

Pleasantly surprised

Also thought Kelly Was very solid at lb today

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2013 11:56

P!ssed Off
melonhead Good game vs decent oppo
Unlucky in places but draw probably fair

Mcarthy 8
Gunter 7
Morro7
gorkss 7
Kelly 7
Baird 7
Guthrie 5
Obita 6
McCleary 7
Kanu 6
Pog 8

Good response tbf

Some nonsensical ratings there.

screw u man

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 10 Nov 2013 12:03

Haven't seen much of us this season so far but it was great to see Morro passing it along the floor to the midfield. A far cry from the aimless hoofing of the McDermott days.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Nov 2013 12:09

Irvinchangeyaname Haven't seen much of us this season so far but it was great to see Morro passing it along the floor to the midfield. A far cry from the aimless hoofing of the McDermott days.

that's going to get some bites

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Nov 2013 13:10

loyalroyal4life QPR really do have an amazing squad, be shocked if they didn't go up

Ive heard that a lot, but do they really?

Take out Hoilett and Austin and they have the same problem as last year. A squad full of players who have injury problems and who's careers are in decline. Not the sort of squad you want for a long Championship season. I keep reading about them barely getting out of 2nd gear this season. Seemed to be the case again yesterday, but for all the quality in the squad I think its more of a case of them not being able to get out of 2nd gear. I don't think they will go up.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Nov 2013 14:06

Unbelievable Jeff
Ian Royal
Unbelievable Jeff
It was McCarthy's fault for their goal

You can keep saying it, but just because he might have don't better, doesn't mean he should carry the whole can. Suggesting as much is really rather simple.

And sort your quoting out.

Apart from Gorkks giving away the foul, the rest of the blame was McCarthy's.
Firstly he did not position his wall in the right place!
His positioning was all wrong, he made it easy for Barton as he stood in the middle of the goal and practically let him have a free shot into the bottom corner. He should have moved to the side of the west stand and then Barton would have had no other choice but to try and bend it up and over, if this was the case we would have most likely not of conceded.

And it wasn't my original quote

Quite astonishing that anyone who has watched the replay can blame McCarthy for the goal. The wall may not have been perfectly placed (that is debatable) but the fact is that if Gunter had not turned away sideways as the shot came in, the wall would have done its job!

Hoop Blah

Finally, the goal that cost us what could've been an unlikely victory on the balance of play. Awful defending from Gorks and Gunter, it McCarthy really should've been in a position to save the free kick once Gunter bottled it. The wall was fine but McCarthy started half a yard too far to his right and probably with his weight on the wrong foot which meant he was too stretched to keep it out.

Keepers will align their wall to cover one side of their goal and will then position themselves so they are better placed to cover the other side. I believe McCarthy had positioned his wall to cover his left (and it would have worked but for Gunter moving) and was covering his right - hence your view that he was stood half a yard too far to his right with weight on the wrong foot. The wall failed us, not McCarthy.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Nov 2013 14:20

Wonder who decided it would be a good idea to let McCarthy take the free kick near the end which he shanked down the side line when we needed to get the ball in the box? I'd rather have one less player in the box and the ball actually get there than see it go nowhere near the box.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Nov 2013 16:12

Snowball when I heard the two teams I thought we'd do well to only lose 0-3

:| :| :|

OKay game yday to be fair, Pog was clearly our best player and i'm pleasantly surprised to see almost everybody say the same on this thread. Not seen his yellow card again but IMHO the ref really didn't like him, gave him nothing all game, and booked him for a sedate tackle the moment he had a chance.

McCarthy played well in general but let himself down for the goal. Positioned himself so he was never saving anything that side - could see the goal coming a mile off.

217 posts