SIGNED - Anton Ferdinand

334 posts
soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Anton Ferdinand

by soggy biscuit » 05 Aug 2014 14:03

haven't seen him play for a couple of years. Where have people been watching him since he left QPR at the end of 2012 to make these judgements on his current condition?

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 05 Aug 2014 14:04

Martin41
Mr.Swainey Anton Ferdinand would be a oxf*rd dreadful signing, stop trying to gloss over it with your 'everything the club does is right' attitude.

Enlighten me why he would be so bad??

He couldn't get a move to an English club, so left for Thailand. That says it all.

Martin41

by Martin41 » 05 Aug 2014 14:08

Mr.Swainey
Martin41
Mr.Swainey Anton Ferdinand would be a oxf*rd dreadful signing, stop trying to gloss over it with your 'everything the club does is right' attitude.

He couldn't get a move to an English club, so left for Thailand. That says it all.

No it does not.
If you use that reasoning, then anyone who goes and works abroad is a failure.
There may have been reasons he went there, and yes I accept it could have been for money.
He may have had offers here, but for whatever reason, it was not right.
I'm prepared to give any new players a chance.
Out of interest, who do you want to see us try and sign?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Aug 2014 14:09

winchester_royal I think at 29 there's still a decent chance he can rediscover some old form. This is a guy who was once PL POTM. If he can get back to where he was he'll be streets ahead of Pearce and Morrisson.

He wouldn't demand huge money, if we get him on a PAYP deal I think there'd be value.

Seriously? You're saying he could still be good because he won a pointless player of the month trophy once?

Edit: He won that 'award' 8 years ago as a promising 21 year old and probably mainly for scoring a bit of a decent goal.

Wouldn't demand huge money? How do you know? He ended up at QPR, I'd imagine that means he's exactly the sort ot ask for a silly amount of money.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Aug 2014 14:13

Hoop Blah
winchester_royal I think at 29 there's still a decent chance he can rediscover some old form. This is a guy who was once PL POTM. If he can get back to where he was he'll be streets ahead of Pearce and Morrisson.

He wouldn't demand huge money, if we get him on a PAYP deal I think there'd be value.

Seriously? You're saying he could still be good because he won a pointless player of the month trophy once?

Wouldn't demand huge money? How do you know? He ended up at QPR, I'd imagine that means he's exactly the sort ot ask for a silly amount of money.

I'm saying that he was clearly a decent player once. You can't be a terrible footballer and play 8/9 seasons in the PL. It doesn't happen. My point is that he might be able to return to that level.

Given that as you so succinctly pointed out he ended up having to consider a move to Police United, I'm guessing he doesn't exactly have his pick of clubs to go to. Thus will not be able to demand high wages. As much as he may want to.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Aug 2014 14:31

And why do you think there aren't many teams chasing his signature which meant he ended up in Thialand?

He was a good player, and a very good prospect IMO, but sometimes players just lose it for various reasons. Perhaps he simply lost his desire and edge after the John Terry stuff?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 05 Aug 2014 14:31

winchester_royal He wouldn't demand huge money, if we get him on a PAYP deal I think there'd be value.

this is one bit I may dispute.

I doubt very much he moved to the Thai league for the high quality of football there and Jay Bothroyd moved out there recently to earn £5M over 2 years (£48,000 a week). I am sure AF is on a pretty hefty salary there.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 05 Aug 2014 14:33

winchester_royal
Hoop Blah

I'm saying that he was clearly a decent player once. You can't be a terrible footballer and play 8/9 seasons in the PL. It doesn't happen. My point is that he might be able to return to that level.

So was Drenthe.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 05 Aug 2014 14:38

Hoop Blah And why do you think there aren't many teams chasing his signature which meant he ended up in Thialand?

He was a good player, and a very good prospect IMO, but sometimes players just lose it for various reasons. Perhaps he simply lost his desire and edge after the John Terry stuff?

I'm not disputing the fact that he's lost his way. And in no way would I support the idea of a 2/3-year contract on ££££pw like we gave Drenthe. But IF he's willing to get his head down and appreciates the fact that we're effectively his last chance in English football, then I believe there's a chance he'll find his way again. And if we are able to get him cheaply then maybe he's worth the punt. Especially as we are not blessed with much talent back there.

If he is able to demand big money though then obviously all my logic falls apart.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Aug 2014 17:03

That's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes though isn't it? That's why most people aren't too enamoured with the idea of signing him IMO.

He appears past it and another expensive gamble on a player who for a lot of people will represent the celebrity culture element of professional football (perhaps wrongly of course).

I'd rather see us try and get a player like Shane Duffy on loan from Everton than bring in an player who seems to have lost it.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Aug 2014 17:08

Yeah not enthused by this at all.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 05 Aug 2014 17:53

Not sure about past it, but been culpable in my humble opinion in a couple of awful defences (one in particular). Not too keen tbh.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 05 Aug 2014 17:59

Hoop Blah That's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes though isn't it? That's why most people aren't too enamoured with the idea of signing him IMO.

He appears past it and another expensive gamble on a player who for a lot of people will represent the celebrity culture element of professional football (perhaps wrongly of course).

I'd rather see us try and get a player like Shane Duffy on loan from Everton than bring in an player who seems to have lost it.

That's an awful lot of 'appears' and 'seems to' though as well. Who knows? Plenty of players have come back from bad spells in their career to have an Indian Summer.

Don't get me wrong, Ferdinand wouldn't be close to my list of preferred signings, but don't think he'd be the awful acquisition that some think he would be.

As for Duffy, I imagine the club take the view that it would be preferable to develop our own youngsters rather than those from other clubs.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Aug 2014 18:12

This has the feeling of a Martin Keown/ Les Ferdinand type of signing-they both used to be miles better than Anton Ferdinand but were useless for us.
He has always struck me as the sort of player that says "I though you were marking him".
I hope he doesn't come to us and I would sooner have the three we already have even with their massive limitations.
Using the tone of the mad man when describing the Thais as "very nice people" Ferdinand doesn't strike me as a "very nice chap".

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 05 Aug 2014 18:47

Hoop Blah And why do you think there aren't many teams chasing his signature which meant he ended up in Thialand?

He was goading Terry all throughout the match .

It wasn't proven that Terry actually said those things and Anton freely admitted that he hadn't heard anything so not sure why you feel he's now some kind of china doll.

The court also heard Ferdinand was 26 metres away from Terry when the Chelsea captain allegedly racially abused him.

The QPR defender said that he did not hear the alleged racist verbal attack and only heard about it after the match.

He lived off his brothers name but never cut it as a top player and has been slipping down the ranks. No other club came in for him so he got a place in a nowhere league for an unheard of team. However I suspect he still thinks he's a top player and his agent will no doubt negotiate as if he is. Not a wise signing in my book.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2014 18:52

floyd__streete
Ian Royal I can be a bit of a twat
see, we agree sometimes

on ferdinand. The real alarm bell is that why would he be on adkins radar. And if he's not on adkins radar it'd be an owner signing. Those are B to the A to the D.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Aug 2014 19:59

winchester_royal
Hoop Blah That's a lot of ifs, buts and maybes though isn't it? That's why most people aren't too enamoured with the idea of signing him IMO.

That's an awful lot of 'appears' and 'seems to' though as well. Who knows? Plenty of players have come back from bad spells in their career to have an Indian Summer.

Don't get me wrong, Ferdinand wouldn't be close to my list of preferred signings, but don't think he'd be the awful acquisition that some think he would be.

As for Duffy, I imagine the club take the view that it would be preferable to develop our own youngsters rather than those from other clubs.

Well, if you count one point as an awful lot then yeah I guess it is.

When we're signing players it's almost a case of limiting the gamble, especially where the cost is higher, and this would just be a massive gamble on him turning round a couple of seasons of decline.

I'm sure the club would prefer to develop their own talent but we're already doing that with Hector and of course Pearce before him. It doesn't mean you don't need to bring in players for the present as well though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Aug 2014 20:01

multisync1830

He was goading Terry all throughout the match .

It wasn't proven that Terry actually said those things and Anton freely admitted that he hadn't heard anything so not sure why you feel he's now some kind of china doll.

The court also heard Ferdinand was 26 metres away from Terry when the Chelsea captain allegedly racially abused him.

The QPR defender said that he did not hear the alleged racist verbal attack and only heard about it after the match.

He lived off his brothers name but never cut it as a top player and has been slipping down the ranks. No other club came in for him so he got a place in a nowhere league for an unheard of team. However I suspect he still thinks he's a top player and his agent will no doubt negotiate as if he is. Not a wise signing in my book.

No idea what point you're trying to make about the ins and outs of the Terry incident. All I've said is that since then he looks to have struggled more and more after, whatever you think about living off his brothers name, was a very promising start to a young defenders career.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 05 Aug 2014 20:11

Martin41

because he was the one defender in the premier league who made us look a threat going forward?

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 05 Aug 2014 20:46

Hoop Blah
No idea what point you're trying to make about the ins and outs of the Terry incident. All I've said is that since then he looks to have struggled more and more after, whatever you think about living off his brothers name, was a very promising start to a young defenders career.

The point being is the 'incident' is not relevant in any way shape or form.It's strawman at best.

He was before that already on the way down from your 'very promising start' to distinctly average at best.He is now at the point whereby he's wanted by um err a Thailand club and by now -and only by association- RFC. That isn't a good enough reason IMHO.

If that's your level for the club going forward so be it. Please don't be offended if I don't join you

To add it's the same as Lampard at MUFC for one reason, it's owned by the same people. easily end up as an embarrassment for all concerned.

334 posts