BFTG Norwich,

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Norwich,

by Nameless » 30 Dec 2014 08:32

sandman
Nameless It's a bit pathetic to talk about the officials being punished.
At the very worst they made a mistake, they didn't cheat or deliberately conspire against us. They made a mistake which unfortunately had significant repercussions.
And to be fair to them we have not heard their explanation. If the 4th official had seen McLeary struggling and said to Clarke ' do you still want to make your substitution' Clarke may have said no, meaning he wanted to now make 2, but easily being misinterpreted .
It would be good to hear the refs take on it, or Clarke telling us what the ref said to him or to the layers.
I still think the ref made an error, but he should no more be punished than a player is for missing an open goal or dropping a cross.

Of course he should be punished, he failed to do his job properly and by the sound of it, and the look of it at Cardiff a month or so ago, it's not the first time he's made a basic mistake. How often should he get away with them before being punished? Let's hope the relevant authorities deal with it correctly rather than following your advice and doing nothing.

Let's hope it's established what actually happened before some knee jerk reaction takes place....
And why would you think nothing should be done ? Typical HNA reaction I'm afraid. If he got it wrong then obviously the referee assessor needs to sit down with him and work out why. Punishing him won't improve him as a referee, sensible discussion and education will.

And glad you agree that failing to do you job properly should be met with punishment. In future missed penalties, misplaced passes and dropped crosses are all imprisonable offences.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 30 Dec 2014 08:37

Just seen the highlights on the FL show. Second goal was even better than i realised, some lovely passing in there.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 30 Dec 2014 09:42

Pepe the Horseman Just seen the highlights on the FL show. Second goal was even better than i realised, some lovely passing in there.

Yep!

Cox was absolutely crucial in that move early, middle, the pass thru for Murray and
then made a lot of ground to get on the end of the cross. Top play.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 30 Dec 2014 10:21

Snowball
Pepe the Horseman Just seen the highlights on the FL show. Second goal was even better than i realised, some lovely passing in there.

Yep!

Cox was absolutely crucial in that move early, middle, the pass thru for Murray and
then made a lot of ground to get on the end of the cross. Top play.

Didn't realise it at the time but it was a decent move. Half the team involved.
The sort of "keep ball, find space, make decisive pass, cross, goal" move that should have resulted from all that possession under Nadkins (and before that Rodgers and before that Burns).

GMac's gonna have to smack one from distance now to get GOTS.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Dec 2014 10:22

He played ok - but on GMac, he still seems reluctant to run at players or really use his pace, other than for chasing opponents down. When we're attacking, he plods a bit, it's frustrating.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Dec 2014 12:26

Ian Royal
GH Royal New stat which I think the Norwich game was a fine example of -

Who Scored Oliver Norwood Has made more tackles + interceptions (124) than any other player in the Championship this season

Leads the charts on tackles per game with 3.9, not in the top 10 for interceptions however but cant be far off as 10th is 2.8 per game and he is on 2.7.

But still, fantastic stats for our little midfielder.
his tackling is really impressive for a little passer. I think Guthrie's got a slightly better range of passing and confidence on the ball, but Norwood contributes far more defensively and plays to a quicker, simpler tempo.

Guthrie Is half the player Norwood is.

Better range of passing? Lol.Based on what?!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Dec 2014 12:56

Guthrie, Norwood, mentioned in same breath? Please dont make me laugh!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Dec 2014 13:12

Nameless
sandman
At the very worst they made a mistake, they didn't cheat or deliberately conspire against us. They made a mistake which unfortunately had significant repercussions.
And to be fair to them we have not heard their explanation. If the 4th official had seen McLeary struggling and said to Clarke ' do you still want to make your substitution' Clarke may have said no, meaning he wanted to now make 2, but easily being misinterpreted .
It would be good to hear the refs take on it, or Clarke telling us what the ref said to him or to the layers.
I still think the ref made an error, but he should no more be punished than a player is for missing an open goal or dropping a cross.

Of course he should be punished, he failed to do his job properly and by the sound of it, and the look of it at Cardiff a month or so ago, it's not the first time he's made a basic mistake. How often should he get away with them before being punished? Let's hope the relevant authorities deal with it correctly rather than following your advice and doing nothing.

Let's hope it's established what actually happened before some knee jerk reaction takes place....
And why would you think nothing should be done ? Typical HNA reaction I'm afraid. If he got it wrong then obviously the referee assessor needs to sit down with him and work out why. Punishing him won't improve him as a referee, sensible discussion and education will.

And glad you agree that failing to do you job properly should be met with punishment. In future missed penalties, misplaced passes and dropped crosses are all imprisonable offences.

Actually in most working environments you do get disciplined if you make a fundamental and serious error and this one was exactly that. Given that the fourth official was clearly stood there with his board with two players stripped off alongside him and McCleary walked over in that direction, I'm beginning to think that this was not a mere mistake/oversight but more a case of the ref deciding to make up/apply his own rules, preumably to punish Reading for the way the McCleary injury was handled. If so, then there is even more reason for the ref to be disciplined for his actions.

But, of course, most refs don't have the balls/decency to do that (a notable exception being the one that insisted on being interviewed on tv to apologise after he got in the way of the ball and, in doing so, set up a goal for our opponents). Until they/their governing bodies decide that should happen the level of respect shown towards them will continue to be lower than it otherwise might be.

catfork

by catfork » 31 Dec 2014 01:15

melonhead
Ian Royal
GH Royal New stat which I think the Norwich game was a fine example of -

Leads the charts on tackles per game with 3.9, not in the top 10 for interceptions however but cant be far off as 10th is 2.8 per game and he is on 2.7.

But still, fantastic stats for our little midfielder.
his tackling is really impressive for a little passer. I think Guthrie's got a slightly better range of passing and confidence on the ball, but Norwood contributes far more defensively and plays to a quicker, simpler tempo.

Guthrie Is half the player Norwood is.

Better range of passing? Lol.Based on what?!

I think he means Guthrie can continually pass the ball back to a defender whilst pointing, shouting and trying to pass the blame.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Dec 2014 15:16

Norwood is better in every area for me. Better tempo, more bite, better engine, better passer.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Dec 2014 15:41

melonhead Norwood is better in every area for me. Better tempo, more bite, better engine, better passer.

and physically faster. Guthrie is always getting booked as he's a yard behind everyone else on the pitch when he's trying to defend

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Dec 2014 16:00

Danny Guthrie's plenty good enough for us. There were several times last season when he was on his game that he was the best player on the pitch. Whilst i agree with the pointing, shouting and assigning blame comment, I think we're very lucky to have such a richness of midfield options, including Danny Guthrie.

I don't think he's as good as Norwood, but he's twice the passer of Williams, Karacan or Akpan.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Dec 2014 16:03

Would never get in my team if Norwood Is fit.
Would rather have karacans engine and Williams brain on the field

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 31 Dec 2014 16:07

melonhead Norwood is better in every area for me. Better tempo, more bite, better engine, better passer.

Les of a chavvy pcunt too

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 31 Dec 2014 16:15

melonhead Would never get in my team if Norwood Is fit.
Would rather have karacans engine and Williams brain on the field

Norwood way ahead I agree. But if he got injured, Guthrie's the natural replacement, or if we needed to change something late on or if we play a 5 man midfield.