87%
No
13%

Total votes: 209
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Have you taken to Steve Clarke yet?

by melonhead » 05 Feb 2015 10:28

getting a mindlessly hassled by some useless local radio hack who somehow thinks, that because he has said something, the boss should agree and just do it.
he didn't get the hump. he just cut the bloke down. as was required

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Feb 2015 12:35

Haag Royal
And you think it was beyond him to say that rather than get the hump?

I think he was probably a little aggrieved and disappointed to have lost and possibly could've played it with a straighter bat.

I quite like the fact he just put Dellor back in his box and set his stall out that he's the boss and won't entertain explaining every decision live on air.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 05 Feb 2015 12:42

Hoop Blah
Haag Royal

I think he was probably a little aggrieved and disappointed to have lost and possibly could've played it with a straighter bat.

I quite like the fact he just put Dellor back in his box and set his stall out that he's the boss and won't entertain explaining every decision live on air.

Think it was after the 0-0 draw vs Millwall IIRC?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Feb 2015 13:06

Sandman Haven't heard from RoyalBlue in a while, embarrassment?

Be fair, that h8 mail to John Madejski doesn't write itself.

Luckily he has you - the Nick Blackman of Internet trolling - on hand to remind him of what seems (to be fair) a rare factual error from the bloke 8)

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 05 Feb 2015 13:12

Anything is better than Adkins in the hotseat, rattling on about the academy, character and desire.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Feb 2015 14:35

GH Royal
Hoop Blah
Haag Royal

True.

Not beating 10 man Millwall felt like a defeat!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Feb 2015 14:58

floyd__streete
Sandman Haven't heard from RoyalBlue in a while, embarrassment?

Be fair, that h8 mail to John Madejski doesn't write itself.

Luckily he has you - the Nick Blackman of Internet trolling - on hand to remind him of what seems (to be fair) a rare factual error from the bloke 8)

Quite compliment from the Hal Robson-Kanu of happiness and positivity.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 05 Feb 2015 15:10

Hoop Blah
GH Royal
Hoop Blah

True.

Not beating 10 man Millwall felt like a defeat!

That it did, still - a point and a clean sheet and another match to help the team gel into Clarke's gameplan, there's positives to take.

With Adkins we might of even lost that.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Feb 2015 18:00

Sandman Quite compliment from the Hal Robson-Kanu of happiness and positivity.

I have often remarked that Nick Blackman is 'the Hal Robson Kanu of Carl Asaba'.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 05 Feb 2015 19:06

melonhead
RoyallyFcuked
melonhead in many ways im glad he wasn't.
whoever took over from brian was always going to struggle to win over the fans

I'm glad he wasnt as well, because then you the like would have had a vendetta against Clarke instead.

Lol

No vendetta, no campaign of hate
I gave him a long Time to prove Himself and simply and slowly Came to the conclusion he had to go around the same time as the board.

But I never felt he belonged
And I'm Big enough to admit much of that stems from the way he came into the club, through no fault of His own.

Adkins was just another victim of our period Of Russian madness in many ways.
Never stood a chance.

Can't fault that post, fair play.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Feb 2015 17:39

Two wins in a row only? Sack him now, before he makes it 3!

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 07 Feb 2015 20:57

Absolutely. Impressed so far.

I can definitely see things going a similar way to 2009/10 - a very disappointing first half of the season with a manager sacked in mid-December, with his replacement feeling like a breath of fresh air, altering our playing style and putting a spirit back in the club whilst embarking on a cup run and steering us comfortably clear of relegation, with the play-offs never quite being in reach.

I think I'm right in saying that after 8 league games in charge under Brian McDermott we had won 3, drawn 2 and lost 3, whilst reaching the 5th round of the cup. Under Steve Clarke we've won 3, drawn 3 and lost 2, whilst enjoying a similar cup run. The comparison is striking.

I think under McDermott you could tell things were on the up and then the results really started coming through when we got into February. I can see similar happening with Clarke and I see promising times ahead.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2015 21:32

I think we were in a better place back then, so the up will be a little flatter and slower. We had a very strong squad that was still mostly intact and had spent a lot of money, even if we made a net profit.

I think too many people can't see past the failings of Adkins to see the big problems we had coming into this season. And forget that we actually started very well, particularly considering our situation. It only went wrong after the first seven games.

And look at the difference having Williams and McCleary not just fit, but match fit, and having had the chance to play into some form is making.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Feb 2015 21:49

Ian Royal I think we were in a better place back then, so the up will be a little flatter and slower. We had a very strong squad that was still mostly intact and had spent a lot of money, even if we made a net profit.

I think too many people can't see past the failings of Adkins to see the big problems we had coming into this season. And forget that we actually started very well, particularly considering our situation. It only went wrong after the first seven games.

And look at the difference having Williams and McCleary not just fit, but match fit, and having had the chance to play into some form is making.

It's not about having those 2 match fit. Adkins would of had Mcleary over on the left and Williams off the front 2.

It's all been about the style of play and resolve. Clarke has brought that to the club and it's showed up Adkins inefficiencies. (And I was a fan).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2015 23:49

paultheroyal
Ian Royal I think we were in a better place back then, so the up will be a little flatter and slower. We had a very strong squad that was still mostly intact and had spent a lot of money, even if we made a net profit.

It's not about having those 2 match fit. Adkins would of had Mcleary over on the left and Williams off the front 2.

It's all been about the style of play and resolve. Clarke has brought that to the club and it's showed up Adkins inefficiencies. (And I was a fan).

The first bit's absolute nonsense. Adkins is the one who got the best out of McCleary, last season. He also got the best out of Williams, last season. Suggesting he wouldn't know how to use them is ridiculous.

The second bit is absolutely right about what Clarke has brought to us, that doesn't mean he isn't benefiting from some of the crap Adkins had to cope with going away. He has got the team organised defensively, balanced the shape and sorted the mental weakness as a result. Like Rodgers, Adkins was right man wrong time. Clarke is right man, right time. As were Coppell, McDermott and Pardew.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2015 00:23

Sorry Ian you're the one talking nonsense. Neither Rodgers or Adkins were right for us. There is no such thing as right man, wrong time. You're either good at a job or you're not. They weren't and that was why they were both sacked.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 08 Feb 2015 09:02

MmmMonsterMunch Sorry Ian you're the one talking nonsense. Neither Rodgers or Adkins were right for us. There is no such thing as right man, wrong time. You're either good at a job or you're not. They weren't and that was why they were both sacked.

I echo this. Both had terrible records in fact I'd say Rodgers was the better of the two.

Adkins will definitely have to drop a few divisions... Oh hang on QPR haven't got a manager :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2015 09:33

MmmMonsterMunch Sorry Ian you're the one talking nonsense. Neither Rodgers or Adkins were right for us. There is no such thing as right man, wrong time. You're either good at a job or you're not. They weren't and that was why they were both sacked.

Oh yes, of course. That's why they've been total failures everywhere. My mistake. :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Feb 2015 09:55

We look defensively much, much stronger with largely the same players. That's absolutely got to be down to the tactics and formations employed, the responsibility for which lies squarely with the manager.

I was very much pro Adkins but I have to absolutely agree with MmmMonsterMunch, regardless of his record elsewhere, Adkins was just the wrong manager for Reading. We've always been more successful as a quick counter attacking team, this whole patient passing build up has never worked for us

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Feb 2015 10:01

Ian Royal
paultheroyal

The first bit's absolute nonsense. Adkins is the one who got the best out of McCleary, last season. He also got the best out of Williams, last season. Suggesting he wouldn't know how to use them is ridiculous.

The second bit is absolutely right about what Clarke has brought to us, that doesn't mean he isn't benefiting from some of the crap Adkins had to cope with going away. He has got the team organised defensively, balanced the shape and sorted the mental weakness as a result. Like Rodgers, Adkins was right man wrong time. Clarke is right man, right time. As were Coppell, McDermott and Pardew.

Adkins =

Gunter left back / right back
Kelly left back / right back
Obita left back / left midfield / centre midfield
Hector centre midfield / centre back
Kanu right midfield / attacking midfielder / striker

I could go on.... Ah yes but he got the best out of the other 2 .... Lol only because they played in position they are meant to.

Clarke =

Best player best position

363 posts