Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

by Vision » 10 Feb 2015 13:10

To answer the question Hoops. No. ;-)

I just don't think the type of players you're referring to would be persuaded by the glamour of early entry to the Intertoto.

I just think for the most part that group of players had reached their peak, the bulk of them had been together for several seasons at that point. I still think relegation was wholly avoidable with the players we had but even though we didn't start that season as well as our first we still had pretty much the same MO up until that Spurs game. You could vividly see the players go into their shells from that moment on really.

It (not entering the Intertoto) may have had some effect but in my opinion it wasn't what caused our decline on the pitch. If anything it may have had some effect with the fans because I for one would have jumped at the chance of travelling for a competitive European fixture regardless of venue. Just not sure it held the same allure for those within the club.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2015 15:09

Vision Coppell got a bit spooked talking to George Burley at Ipswich who claimed qualifying for Europe ruined his young Ipswich team. That said any suggestion we deliberately didn't try in the last two games so we failed to qualify is on a par with the "Madejski told the players not to beat Bolton in the Wembley play-offs because he couldn't afford promotion" nonsense.

I can see the point about the message not taking the Intertoto spot sends out but I think it's overplayed as a factor with regards to our relegation that season.

I think the biggest single factor (in reality relegations happen for a number of reasons rather than just one defining one) was we lost our nerve in the 2nd half of the season. I put that down to the 6-4 defeat at Tottenham. The Portsmouth game could have been attributed as a one-off thing that can happen from time to time but when it happens a second time then it becomes ingrained in the players. We had built success on attacking wide play, full backs bombing on and attacking with absolute conviction. After that Tottenham game the majority of players just went into their shells and the full backs barely crossed the half way line.

So if I could erase just game then I think that Spurs game would be the one.
I'd say the biggest single factor was a totally miused summer transfer window where we failed to adequately provide replacements / cover for: Sidwell, Murty, Little, Convey, Sonko, and Seol.

Cisse - not good
Fae - bad buy
Rosenior - not good enough
Halford - bad buy
Duberry - not good enough

Not all were summer signings but they cover the positions.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Feb 2015 15:42

BRING IT ON.

:lol:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Feb 2015 15:45

fucking hell how could i forget build evolve succeed

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Feb 2015 17:11

WoodleyRoyal fucking hell how could i forget spend mortgage fail