BFTG Rotherham

127 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Rotherham

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 16:31

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew Kes, or whoever you are, I have been playing, coaching and watching football since long before you were born and along the way may have developed a bit of an understanding of how the game works and believe that I can judge a player's capabilities after watching him for a couple of seasons and not just a couple of games.

This player is o.k. when facing the play and has a reasonable touch with one foot- I would prefer him to be braver in the air but he isn't and that is why presumably, despite his physique, different managers have more often than not played him at left-back, away from the hurly-burly of the middle.

Playing in the midfield areas you need quick-thinking and spatial awareness and poor Tyler has neither of these-so often he seems oblivious of what is happening around him.

This manager may well take up this option but, as with the O'Shea fiasco on Saturday, you don't just "stick" a player in that position which is the expression used by some posters.

IMHO it would be as barmy as Kelly being "stuck" in goal.

If it happens with Blackett and it helps keep Reading up then great but I suggest that you try thinking things through a bit better before making such suggestions.

It really annoys me when people use the "I am older then you and been playing football for longer then you so know more" schtick as a means to try and be superior.

I reckon I am 30/35 years younger then you but could tell you more about data analysis in sports, sports science and tactics, coaching and training at a higher level then you, because as job I do it for a professional team and get paid to do so, and travel the world to do so and work with some of the finest coaches in the world day in and day out.

The fact that you feel the need to say that normally means you are blowing your own trumpet, as it is the quietest people who are the most knowledgeable and they do not need to blow their own trumpets.

BTW judging by what you have said, you do not really know all that much and you probably need to stop watching Carra and Neville on sky sports to form your opinions.

Love it and the reaction I had expected Kes or whoever you are.
If you or OMA had played in centre midfield you might understand that it is a much more complex position than you guys make it out to be.

So pleased to be sharing this topic with such an illuminary as you-for all that knowledge hat you have from such a short period of life you are just a genius (or maybe the thick twat that you accuse me of being).

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 16:40

URZZZZ
The Enfield Royal71
Old Man Andrews
I'd suggest putting a right back up front and a striker in goal is a bit more of a step than putting a centre back in as a CDM.

God, I actually cannot believe what I just read.

This place really is laughable.

I mean, it is not like Klopp, the manager of the best team in the country, has put Fabinho (A CDM) at Centre back. Oh wait yes he has.

I wonder if their fans started acting hysterical and said "We may aswell put Divock Origi in goal".

It is barely a position change.

First of all Fabinho went CB only because Liverpool had an emergency crisis in that position. We don't. We have Baker, Ejaria, Swift, Rino coming back who can play there.

Secondly, some people said O'Shea would make a good CDM, guess what it didn't work and we conceded because he was too slow to get to the ball. How predictable. So why would Blackett work

Thirdly, it is a position change. CB and CM are two completely different positions. Obviously, if you think it's "barely a position change" you clearly don't understand football very much.

And lastly, we don't even play with a CDM so the theory is complete nonsense anyway. The 2 in midfield are centre midfielders, not defensive midfielders. Mind you, if you think CB and CDM is "barely a change" then you probably wouldn't understand it anyway. Blackett will not be playing centre midfield Saturday, that's a fact, he dawdles miles too much to play the quick football Gomes wants in midfield

Swift at CDM?

That must be a joke. Blackett would work as he is not slow and immobile like O Shea.

I wouldnt call cb and cdm worldly different, much like rwb and rm. Cb and cam are different. As a professional football he should be able to adapt like that.

Maybe playing without a cdm is our problem?

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 16:42

Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew Kes, or whoever you are, I have been playing, coaching and watching football since long before you were born and along the way may have developed a bit of an understanding of how the game works and believe that I can judge a player's capabilities after watching him for a couple of seasons and not just a couple of games.

This player is o.k. when facing the play and has a reasonable touch with one foot- I would prefer him to be braver in the air but he isn't and that is why presumably, despite his physique, different managers have more often than not played him at left-back, away from the hurly-burly of the middle.

Playing in the midfield areas you need quick-thinking and spatial awareness and poor Tyler has neither of these-so often he seems oblivious of what is happening around him.

This manager may well take up this option but, as with the O'Shea fiasco on Saturday, you don't just "stick" a player in that position which is the expression used by some posters.

IMHO it would be as barmy as Kelly being "stuck" in goal.

If it happens with Blackett and it helps keep Reading up then great but I suggest that you try thinking things through a bit better before making such suggestions.

It really annoys me when people use the "I am older then you and been playing football for longer then you so know more" schtick as a means to try and be superior.

I reckon I am 30/35 years younger then you but could tell you more about data analysis in sports, sports science and tactics, coaching and training at a higher level then you, because as job I do it for a professional team and get paid to do so, and travel the world to do so and work with some of the finest coaches in the world day in and day out.

The fact that you feel the need to say that normally means you are blowing your own trumpet, as it is the quietest people who are the most knowledgeable and they do not need to blow their own trumpets.

BTW judging by what you have said, you do not really know all that much and you probably need to stop watching Carra and Neville on sky sports to form your opinions.

If you or OMA had played in centre midfield you might understand that it is a much more complex position than you guys make it out to be.

So pleased to be sharing this topic with such an illuminary as you-for all that knowledge hat you have from such a short period of life you are just a genius (or maybe the thick twat that you accuse me of being).

Before I got injured I played Left back and right back, and left mid and right mid because I am ambidextrous.

It really isn't hard to play in more then 1 position.
A professional football, bar a goalkeeper, should be able to play in more then one position, or have a basic knowledge of doing so. Take son for example....winger, striker or false 9 (a trequartista normally).

Messi has and can play all over the front line.

Blackett should be able to push 10 yards up as a CDM.

Also I am not kes and nor is OMA....I know OMA from coaching. Its strange you are still obsessed with somebody who has been missing for 1 year.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 16:53

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71

Before I got injured I played Left back and right back, and left mid and right mid because I am ambidextrous.

A professional football, bar a goalkeeper, should be able to play in more then one position, or have a basic knowledge of doing so. Take son for example....winger, striker or false 9 (a trequartista normally).

Also I am not kes and nor is OMA....I know OMA from coaching. Its strange you are still obsessed with somebody who has been missing for 1 year.

Not just me on about Kes.

Maybe you didn't have the spatial awareness to play centrally seeing as you were only ever playing out wide , away from where the real action is?

Would you, with that vast knowledge and experience gleaned over such a short period, mind giving us a critique of Blackett other than him just being pushed up 10 yards further, such as O'Shea was on Saturday.....unsuccessfully.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 16:59

Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew

Maybe you didn't have the spatial awareness to play centrally seeing as you were only ever playing out wide , away from where the real action is?

Would you, with that vast knowledge and experience gleaned over such a short period, mind giving us a critique of Blackett other than him just being pushed up 10 yards further, such as O'Shea was on Saturday.....unsuccessfully.

Lol @ your 2nd paragraph. Spatial awareness you know...... real action you know......

Your lack of knowledge is astounding. Maybe I was very quick before I got injured twice doing my acl and good at crossing and running at people? Maybe it is because I could do a few stepovers and take a man on and beat them. And being both footed was at an advantage.

I think we are done here Vic.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Feb 2019 17:04

I'm loving this BTW guys keep it up.
Really looking forward to the in depth BFTG's to come.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 25 Feb 2019 17:05

The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71

Lol @ your 2nd paragraph. Spatial awareness you know...... real action you know......

Your lack of knowledge is astounding. Maybe I was very quick before I got injured twice doing my acl and good at crossing and running at people? Maybe it is because I could do a few stepovers and take a man on and beat them. And being both footed was at an advantage.

This wasn't all about you-I'm still waiting for a full report on Blackett from you who, presumably like me, have been watching his erratic performances over the past two and a half years.
Simply saying pushing forward 10 yards is a bit simplistic but maybe that is just the way you see and played the game.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Feb 2019 17:09

URZZZZ CB and CM are two completely different positions. Obviously, if you think it's "barely a position change" you clearly don't understand football very much.

They are different positions, and not sure if Blackett could do it, but quite a few pro's have. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Desailly, Mascherano, David Luiz, Emre Can, Lahm, etc.
At more our level, Charlie Mulgrew has played some in CM in his career, but mostly at CB where, btw, in the last 2 years he's scored 23 goals for Blackburn, inc 14 last season. (Liam Moore, are you listening?)
URZZZZ We don't even play with a CDM so the theory is complete nonsense anyway. The 2 in midfield are centre midfielders, not defensive midfielders.

Many in here think Rino is a def-mid and call him that?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 25 Feb 2019 17:37, edited 3 times in total.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 17:10

Victor Meldrew
The Enfield Royal71
Victor Meldrew

This wasn't all about you-I'm still waiting for a full report on Blackett from you who, presumably like me, have been watching his erratic performances over the past two and a half years.
Simply saying pushing forward 10 yards is a bit simplistic but maybe that is just the way you see and played the game.

Its really easy trust me and not simplistic at all. He can do it just fine.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 25 Feb 2019 17:11

The Enfield Royal71 Before I got injured I played Left back and right back, and left mid and right mid because I am ambidextrous.

If the manager decided to play you at CB do you think you would have played at the same level?

Think what people are missing is, we can only have square pegs and round holes. From what I have seen, Blackett does switch off and Reading concede a lot from runners from deep so for me. He is a better option at LB than at CDM. Also atm he is better at LB than Richards

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Feb 2019 17:24

Denver Royal
URZZZZ CB and CM are two completely different positions. Obviously, if you think it's "barely a position change" you clearly don't understand football very much.

They are different positions, but quite a few pro's have played both. Bryan Robson. Roy Keane. Charlie Mulgrew has played some in CM in his career, but mostly at CB where over the last 2 seasons he's scored 23 goals for Blackburn, inc 14 last season. (Liam Moore, are you listening?)
URZZZZ We don't even play with a CDM so the theory is complete nonsense anyway. The 2 in midfield are centre midfielders, not defensive midfielders. Mind you, if you think CB and CDM is "barely a change" then you probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

Many in here call Rino a def-mid?

Yeah, quite a few players can play both CB and CM. But firstly, I can't see how Blackett has any attributes to play CM. Also, Blackett is having a good season at LB. One complaint people made of Stam was that he shoved Blackett all over the place, LB, LWB, CB as part of a three, CB as part of a two. I don't think pushing him to CM would benefit anyone, and it also means Richards as a LB who isn't ready either. So now we're weakening two positions

The original post was aimed at OMA who said don't knock it until you've seen it. Well that can apply to anything. Remember when Stam played McCleary, Beerens and Aluko as a front three and it was inevitably an absolute disaster. But according to some people on this thread, they should be able to play anywhere across the front three

Rino isn't a defensive midfielder. It's as simple as that really

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 25 Feb 2019 17:30

Coppells Lost Coat
The Enfield Royal71 Before I got injured I played Left back and right back, and left mid and right mid because I am ambidextrous.

If the manager decided to play you at CB do you think you would have played at the same level?

Think what people are missing is, we can only have square pegs and round holes. From what I have seen, Blackett does switch off and Reading concede a lot from runners from deep so for me. He is a better option at LB than at CDM. Also atm he is better at LB than Richards

If I was a pro footballer and it was my job, then yes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Feb 2019 18:00

There is zero chance Blackett is playing the next game as a holding midfielder

Can we leave it at that?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Feb 2019 21:28

The Enfield Royal71
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
By your logic, let's put Gunter upfront on Saturday and Oliveira in goal. You've never seen that happen before so how do you know it wouldn't work?

I'd suggest putting a right back up front and a striker in goal is a bit more of a step than putting a centre back in as a CDM.

God, I actually cannot believe what I just read.

This place really is laughable.

I mean, it is not like Klopp, the manager of the best team in the country, has put Fabinho (A CDM) at Centre back. Oh wait yes he has.

I wonder if their fans started acting hysterical and said "We may aswell put Divock Origi in goal".

It is barely a position change.

Not arguing with you but you are falling for a logical fallacy.

It may well be the case that a player who normally plays CDM can be moved to centre-back.

That does NOT mean the reverse is true.

The CDM has all the awareness, speed of thought, small turning circle etc. When he drops into CB those are just a bonus.

Of. course SOME CBs might make OK CDMs ( I wanted Ilori there, for example) but others would be laughable (ex-RDG Cooper, Huth?)

Having said that didn't Leighterwood play CDM and CB (but was firstly a CDM)? Ditto Gunnarson?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2019 08:58

Denver Royal

They are different positions, and not sure if Blackett could do it, but quite a few pro's have. Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Desailly, Mascherano, David Luiz, Emre Can, Lahm, etc.
At more our level, Charlie Mulgrew has played some in CM in his career, but mostly at CB where, btw, in the last 2 years he's scored 23 goals for Blackburn, inc 14 last season. (Liam Moore, are you listening?)
URZZZZ We don't even play with a CDM so the theory is complete nonsense anyway. The 2 in midfield are centre midfielders, not defensive midfielders.

Many in here think Rino is a def-mid and call him that?

Mulgrew does take every single Blackburn free-kick and penalty for Blackburn so no wonder his goal tally is good for a CB.

As for us, I don't think we really have anyone in the defence who can step into a DM role bar O'Shea and don't believe he's be up to it on a regular basis.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Feb 2019 10:36

This has been prime Team Board. Well done lads. I'm off back to Anything Else.

Jaytee

by Jaytee » 26 Feb 2019 10:58

How can anyone explain the substitution - John O'Shea brought on to play centre mid FFS. So on he comes and he has his shirt tucked in to his shorts - not a lot wrong with that except that the waist of his shorts was just below his nipples. It looked like he was playing for Barnstoneworth in the 1950's. He looked exactly what he is - an ageing , washed up Centre Half who can be relied upon to shore up the defence when we are 5-0 up (like that's gonna happen). I swear he didn't touch the ball more than 3 times - the rest of the time he was looking around like a rabbit in the Xenon full beam headlights. Perhaps there is a language problem between Portuguese and Irish?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Feb 2019 10:59

There we go, the secret to why John O'Shea played badly in midfield. It was the shorts.

Leon is 100% spot on.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Feb 2019 11:11

Jaytee How can anyone explain the substitution - John O'Shea brought on to play centre mid FFS. So on he comes and he has his shirt tucked in to his shorts - not a lot wrong with that except that the waist of his shorts was just below his nipples. It looked like he was playing for Barnstoneworth in the 1950's. He looked exactly what he is - an ageing , washed up Centre Half who can be relied upon to shore up the defence when we are 5-0 up (like that's gonna happen). I swear he didn't touch the ball more than 3 times - the rest of the time he was looking around like a rabbit in the Xenon full beam headlights. Perhaps there is a language problem between Portuguese and Irish?

You might have to explain Barnstoneworth m8 (especially as a lot on here will not even know what a videotape is or was) and then recite the names of the latest Reserves team in full before you have anything to eat. :wink:

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 26 Feb 2019 11:16

Yep, a very aged player, who has lost at least 5 yards of pace in the last 2 seasons and has never looked that good on the ball, showed absolutely no quality since his arrival. Shorts and language barrier is the only thing that is holding him back.
Could have been a decent shout just to stick Meite there and save the sub.

127 posts