Will you like to see 'Sweet Caroline' as an anthem for RFC

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 422
Jimpanzee

by Jimpanzee » 05 May 2006 14:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup Forgive me if I'm being really really slow...

But I just did a quick search on google for it and found this: !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Caroline

According to this, whatever the result of our vote, it alreasy is our anthem :shock:

Well what can I say... a staunch advocate ever since I supported Reading of an anthem based on teh national anthem as it's just so perfect yet I can't help saying this is a fair enough anthem and most importantly of all the players chose it themselves and there's history to it.

We will probably never have a season this good again (and most probably no team in England will ever have a season this good at this level), so we may as well use it as a reminder of our greatest ever moment.

I'm up for it.

Fcuk me...those wikipedia boys are on the ball aren't they!? :shock:

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 05 May 2006 16:20

Jimpanzee
2 world wars, 1 world cup Forgive me if I'm being really really slow...

But I just did a quick search on google for it and found this: !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Caroline

According to this, whatever the result of our vote, it alreasy is our anthem :shock:

Well what can I say... a staunch advocate ever since I supported Reading of an anthem based on teh national anthem as it's just so perfect yet I can't help saying this is a fair enough anthem and most importantly of all the players chose it themselves and there's history to it.

We will probably never have a season this good again (and most probably no team in England will ever have a season this good at this level), so we may as well use it as a reminder of our greatest ever moment.

I'm up for it.

Fcuk me...those wikipedia boys are on the ball aren't they!? :shock:

Those "wikipedia boys" are actually anyone who wants to go into the site and edit any article. Thats the point of Wikipedia anyone can add anything they like to it -makes for some interesting profiles of politicians :lol:

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 05 May 2006 16:44

Its a very catchy song so much so that I have been whistling it at work and now ITFC is singing it.... Now we know where his true football allegiance lies :lol:

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 05 May 2006 17:29

rob the royal
AndyRFC I hadnt heard this song before yesterday! Yes Please!

i was waiting for this so-called new anthem to be played before the game and to be honest i never even noticed it? and i have to admit i still have no clue what it is :?

Were you actually there last weekend? I sit in the West Stand and all around me were joining in with it. If the west stand does that, I can't imagine how youmissed it!

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 05 May 2006 17:42

Henleyensian
rob the royal
AndyRFC I hadnt heard this song before yesterday! Yes Please!

i was waiting for this so-called new anthem to be played before the game and to be honest i never even noticed it? and i have to admit i still have no clue what it is :?

Were you actually there last weekend? I sit in the West Stand and all around me were joining in with it. If the west stand does that, I can't imagine how youmissed it!

It was very faint in the esat stand however I could Just make out what the music was when the team came out. However I wouldnt blame any of the Younger ones in the east stand for not being able to make out what the song was :lol:

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 05 May 2006 19:20

Di No Saw You may not like neil Diamond

You got that one right.

Di No Saw but if the song works (which it does)

It might work for you.

Di No Saw and people sing along (which they do)

No........which they did.

Di No Saw swallow you pride and join in.

Bollox

Di No Saw I have to say it's better to have something fairly MOR that everyone can join in with then be all hip and trendy and pick on eof the silly suggestions that have been made in the past that only someone aged 14-17 knows and no one could sing !

Are you calling me hip and trendy Dino? 8)

england_away

by england_away » 05 May 2006 20:17

Nick Shorey my Lord! I think it's oxf*rd shite.

I reckon we should adopt 500 miles.

Why would you want that scotish shite for?

YorkshireRoyal

by YorkshireRoyal » 05 May 2006 23:06

Preston tried to "create" an anthem last season. Sounded tacky and sad then, seems even more tacky and sad now.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 05 May 2006 23:39

YorkshireRoyal Preston tried to "create" an anthem last season. Sounded tacky and sad then, seems even more tacky and sad now.

Balls. This one came around naturally, that's why it deserves a go.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 May 2006 00:04

YorkshireRoyal Preston tried to "create" an anthem last season. Sounded tacky and sad then, seems even more tacky and sad now.

if some marketing guy thinks it'd be great and tries to impose it, then it'll be sad and tacky. This wasn't like that. It wasn't like the players sat around trying to decide what song to get the fans to sing, and if the fans had thought it crap, they wouldn't have joined in.

To be honest I don't think it'll work as not enough people know the words, and it'll take some very brave fans to sing it on their own for a while before people join in. If it works, I think it'll be great.

The only thing I wouldn't like would be the suggestion of singing "so good, so good, so good" like Neil diamond fans apparently do. People should be too ashamed to even admit knowing that, let alone put it forward as a suggestion.

iPhil®

by iPhil® » 06 May 2006 12:01

Maybe we should get Neil Diamond to perform a concert at The Mad Stad. He has a new album out, is there a tour planned? :wink:

england_away

by england_away » 06 May 2006 12:21

iPhil® Maybe we should get Neil Diamond to perform a concert at The Mad Stad. He has a new album out, is there a tour planned? :wink:

Should i ask why you know this or not bother :lol:

iPhil®

by iPhil® » 06 May 2006 12:54

12 Songs came out in February and is supposed to be a really good album. Lots of reviews from respectable places have it as one of the albums of the year so far. I haven't heard it yet but I plan to give it a listen.

Di No Saw

by Di No Saw » 06 May 2006 13:03

Rev Algenon Stickleback H [To be honest I don't think it'll work as not enough people know the words, and it'll take some very brave fans to sing it on their own for a while before people join in. If it works, I think it'll be great.

Doesn't this miss the point that huge numbers of people WERE singing along - the words aren;t hard and seeing as most people sing their own versions of the songs we already have being word perfect is not the point !

For those of limited intelligence the idea is you just sing as loud as you can

'SWEET CAROLINE'

Bom, bom, bom

GOOD TIMES NEVER FELT SO GOOD'

Get that far and we're OK....

Di No Saw

by Di No Saw » 06 May 2006 13:07

Far Canal
Di No Saw You may not like neil Diamond

You got that one right.

That's good, he's not really my thing either....

Di No Saw but if the song works (which it does)

It might work for you..[/quote]

It did for the thousands who joined in. It's not about whether it worked for ME personally, but did the fans take to it, did the players like it - answer is a big yes.

Di No Saw and people sing along (which they do)

No........which they did...[/quote]

No idea of the point here - although if it's a pedantic tense related point I refer you to the numerous posters who say they have been singing along all week !!

Di No Saw swallow you pride and join in.

Bollox...[/quote]

Swallow what you like :wink:

But sing - even in a high pitched voice..,.

Di No Saw I have to say it's better to have something fairly MOR that everyone can join in with then be all hip and trendy and pick on eof the silly suggestions that have been made in the past that only someone aged 14-17 knows and no one could sing !

Are you calling me hip and trendy Dino? 8)[/quote]

No, just a little bit standoffish !!!!

Di No Saw

by Di No Saw » 06 May 2006 13:07

Seem to have got my quotes a bit off in the previous post !! Hope you can interpret !!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 06 May 2006 13:08

Let's all "Sing for the Royals"

:wink:

england_away

by england_away » 06 May 2006 16:06

People That Have Said 'No' Would you join in if the whole stadium was singing.................(I know it will Never Happen But For Argument Sake)

Tart Man
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tart Man » 08 May 2006 08:13

Rev Algenon Stickleback H The only thing I wouldn't like would be the suggestion of singing "so good, so good, so good" like Neil diamond fans apparently do.

Having been to a Neil Diamond concert, i can confirm that the fans do NOT sing that back at him, (someone mentioned in another thread that this was infact a boston red sox thing...

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 May 2006 11:27

246 posts