Despondent

185 posts
Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:22

You muppets should read this.. to get some perspective...

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,20144,12383_2848286,00.html

We've got problems.. I agree with that.. but let's be honest. We have never had it so good... So chill out.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:43

Yorkshire Royal You muppets should read this.. to get some perspective...

http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0,20144,12383_2848286,00.html

We've got problems.. I agree with that.. but let's be honest. We have never had it so good... So chill out.

I think that's a pretty fair view on the game. It is individual errors that are costing us atm.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Nov 2007 10:45

Why is there this feeling that bringing in Fae will help us. From what I've seen of the lazy sod, we'd end up conceding even more goals if he played with lightweight Harper.

Fact is away from home we get completely dominated in the middle of the park, our back four is so slow it simply gets carved open and the forwards aren't holding the ball up. From what I witnessed Saturday we need to replace the following players, otherwise away the form will continue.

Shorey
Murty
Duberry
Gunnarsson
Harper
Lita
Doyle (as a right winger)

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:48

How can you possibly say Fae is lazy? In fact, how can you pass judgement on a player who has hardly played?

ROFLeading fans...!

(although we clearly need something new in the midfield)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2007 10:55

Scarface Fact is away from home we get completely dominated in the middle of the park

The stats I saw showed that we had 58% of the possession on Saturday. That does not suggest to me that we were dominated in the middle of the park.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2007 10:57

Yorkshire Royal How can you possibly say Fae is lazy? In fact, how can you pass judgement on a player who has hardly played?

ROFLeading fans...!

In the games he's played he's not got around the pitch much. Now that might not be down to laziness but even our own manager says he needs to adapt to a game that requires more box to box running from him than he is used to.

If lazy means not covering the ground then I think even with the brief glimpses we've seen of him so far thats not way off the mark.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Nov 2007 11:03

Hoop Blah
Yorkshire Royal How can you possibly say Fae is lazy? In fact, how can you pass judgement on a player who has hardly played?

ROFLeading fans...!

In the games he's played he's not got around the pitch much. Now that might not be down to laziness but even our own manager says he needs to adapt to a game that requires more box to box running from him than he is used to.

If lazy means not covering the ground then I think even with the brief glimpses we've seen of him so far thats not way off the mark.

It's a cultural thing. In France if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you leave it to the defence to deal with. In England if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you're then expected to keep harrying and to try and win it back.

You can't unlearn 20 years' of playing in one way quickly - and you can see how he could be seen as "lazy." (Ask Seol if you need more information...).

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Nov 2007 11:07

Dirk Gently
You can't unlearn 20 years' of playing in one way quickly - and you can see how he could be seen as "lazy." (Ask Seol if you need more information...).

You're telling me you can't expect to tell a professional player to run and him understand that. Absolute fcuking toilet, it's down to attitude. I'm sure Coppell expected Fae to be starting by now, so something is clearly wrong.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 11:11

Scarface
Dirk Gently

You're telling me you can't expect to tell a professional player to run and him understand that. Absolute fcuking toilet, it's down to attitude. I'm sure Coppell expected Fae to be starting by now, so something is clearly wrong.

I love the way you state your opinion as if it's pretty much fact.

How do you know what Coppell expected of Fae by now? How do you know how easy it is to change a players style quickly esp when there is so much evidence of decent players coming to England and taking months to adapt to the game.

Pridders

Re: Despondent

by Pridders » 05 Nov 2007 11:18

floyd__streete I find myself questioning my club, its management and players tonight after another powder-puff cave-in away from home today. I back Mr Madejski and Steve Coppell 100% and even if we are relegated this season - as I believe we could very well be - I'd still want and expect the latter to be the man to take us forward, but my patience is becoming very frayed lately.

The most depressing thing today is that I don't think we could have reasonably expected any more from this Reading team today. We're carrying plenty of passengers in this team at the moment; I will leave the HNA panel of experts to debate which of our players I am referring but they are people who have served us well, taken us as far as they can and have long since exceeded their shelf-life. Today's game was an absymal spectacle it really was; our football in the first half was an embarassment and save an early second half rally we rarely looked like winning this game against a side without a win in any competition since bloody August. When Fulham went 2-1 up and our good spell was punctured did any of us realistically expect us to get back into the game a second time? And when you look at the lack of game-changing options on the bench you really do tend to give up on us getting a result out of most games we go behind in (ie. most of them).

I still enjoy the away trips, the day out, the camarederie and company of some very good friends but the bit in the middle (ie. the game itself) has been an overpriced waste of time this season. Sure, the home form is keeping our head above waster but with Arsenal and Liverpool to come at the Madejski over the next few weeks even that saving grace is seriously jeopardised. I expect a grim few weeks ahead until the transfer window opens....will RFC as usual talk a good game and fail to deliver in January?

Yeah, But we are still better than -

Fulham
Birmingham
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Tottenham
Wigan
Bolton
Derby

It aint over yet my friend.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 05 Nov 2007 11:19

We are not going to go down. There are 3 clubs worse than us (and that includes Fulham). We will strengthen the midfield in January. We will be fine.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 Nov 2007 11:19

Stranded
Scarface
Dirk Gently

How do you know what Coppell expected of Fae by now? How do you know how easy it is to change a players style quickly esp when there is so much evidence of decent players coming to England and taking months to adapt to the game.

It could be Coppell expected Fae to take time, well if that's the case then that again highlights what an inept job he did over the summer.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 11:23

Scarface
Stranded
Scarface
Dirk Gently

It could be Coppell expected Fae to take time, well if that's the case then that again highlights what an inept job he did over the summer.

Not at all, maybe Cisse was expected to come in and be a regular, he started the first home game after all but suspension and injury have robbed the squad of him. Fae would then have had the chance to build in to the squad and Gunna could have played the odd game when needed rather than be first choice.

But if it's easier for you just to be extremely negative then that's fine.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Nov 2007 11:48

I'm sure when they signed Cisse they made the same sort of noises about adapting and settling in. They even said he wasn't a replacement for Sidwell and reading between the lines I think he was bought in as cover/replacement for Gunnarsson.

Murty definately hinted that Cisse had found training a massive difference to what he was expecting, so I don't think you can summise that Cisse was bought to go straight into the side.

Dirk Gently It's a cultural thing. In France if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you leave it to the defence to deal with. In England if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you're then expected to keep harrying and to try and win it back.

That's fine Dirk, but we needed to get someone into the squad to play in the team not just be around the squad getting itchy feet for 6-12 months.

Call it what you like, laziness, a cultural difference, lack of ability, we need our players to do a job. If we've bought them to do something they're incapable off then we've made a big mistake.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Nov 2007 11:50

It makes me chuckle that some people wanted Koumas brought in as the replacement for Sidwell.

People are moaning about Fae's workrate, imagine what they would be saying asbout Koumas'.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Nov 2007 11:51

we had just finished 8th

everyone performed above expectations

gunnarson, looked good enough when coming on, and when playing 90 mins last season, it wasnt too much of a stretch to expect him to at least partly replicate that again this season

oster deserved a chance on the right

copps didnt want to disrupt the dressing room by bringing in people on big money

we are in 12th place
with others looking far worse than us
with january to come
and cisse and fae to find form

im pretty happy with our performances
ok away from home we are lightweight, and easily rolled over
but its our second season in the premier league, and we are still up there, fighting, and looking good enough to avoid the drop
with loads of room for improvement.

what exactly were you lot expecting?6th? 4th?top of the league

its probably all the time you spend supporting arsenal, chelsea, liverpool and man u, you have spoiled your footballing brains with all that superb football , and now you expect the same from reading.

sometimes i dispair at the sheer gayness of these boards

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2007 11:59

Hoop Blah I'm sure when they signed Cisse they made the same sort of noises about adapting and settling in. They even said he wasn't a replacement for Sidwell and reading between the lines I think he was bought in as cover/replacement for Gunnarsson.

Murty definately hinted that Cisse had found training a massive difference to what he was expecting, so I don't think you can summise that Cisse was bought to go straight into the side.

Dirk Gently It's a cultural thing. In France if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you leave it to the defence to deal with. In England if you're a midfielder and you're beaten you're then expected to keep harrying and to try and win it back.

That's fine Dirk, but we needed to get someone into the squad to play in the team not just be around the squad getting itchy feet for 6-12 months.

Call it what you like, laziness, a cultural difference, lack of ability, we need our players to do a job. If we've bought them to do something they're incapable off then we've made a big mistake.

You are of course correct, I used that example as one possible view on what may have been going on in the squad and the likelihood of who would be expected to play. None of us know which player was being looked at to come in - I used Cisse as he'd had an entire preseason and Fae had not.

sucatraps

by sucatraps » 05 Nov 2007 12:03

First class, accurate assessment, losing to Fulham won't relegate us. Failing to obtain a further 30 points or whatever in our remaining games would. I for one will remain optimistic until its mathmatically impossible to survive and even then I would stand by the team, its what being a fan is all about!

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 05 Nov 2007 12:20

Wycombe Royal
poohs pure why wait 135 years, build a big shiney new stadium, spend a fair few quid on players and when you finally reach your goal try and do it on the cheap. it totally beggars belief that RFC (JM) are not prepared to finish what they have started. totally understand what the club has achieved and the main reason (again JM) but for pitys sake finish the job off john or sell up.

So you would want Madejski to buy players that Coppell doesn't want?Again it is forgotten that the funds ARE available, Coppell chose not to use them.

did i mention i wanted anyone to buy unwanted players you twat, what i said was we should finish what we have started. i.e. spend the necessary to take the team / club to the next level, not sit back and watch a part completed project fail at the final hurdle.

i am sure some funds are available but none of us has any idea how much do we? i for one thought we would be ok without sidwell and i said so on here, i was wrong as we clearly miss him in midfield, makes £40k a week look mnoneyu well spent doesnt it.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Nov 2007 12:20

brendywendy sometimes i dispair at the sheer gayness of these boards

Please don't use the language of the under 8s. (I tend to think you were making some good points. But then you went and spoilt it all with a pathetic phrase like that. Oh, and its despair.)
Last edited by Man Friday on 05 Nov 2007 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

185 posts