Play Simon Cox Please..............

137 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Play Simon Cox Please..............

by Hoop Blah » 01 Feb 2008 10:02

Wycombe Royal Any way I have said all I'm going to say on this subject. People far more qualified than any of us have decided he isn't good enough for our first team and their track record says that it is unlikely they are wrong this time.

It is known for professionals to get it wrong on players though.

Luckily for Reading, or unluckily because it probably means we're not very good at nurturing young talented players, we've not seen any we've let go really make it.

We have let a few local boys slip through our net, but thats a different story...

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:04

Wycombe Royal Anyway, i've said all I'm going to say on this subject. People far more qualified than any of us have decided he isn't good enough for our first team and their track record says that it is unlikely they are wrong this time.

If you're just going to take the view that every decision made by the club and the management is correct as they are closer to the issue, then you're really going to bring much to a discussion board.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 01 Feb 2008 10:04

The whole year inn Lets face it, If Long went on loan to Swindon and came back with the scoring record Cox had, Coppell would have lost the sight in one eye through over-masterbation.

Cox is not one of Coppells 'finds', Long is.
I'm sorry but that's bollox. If anything Long was a Dolan "find". Coppell doesn't scout for players. Even those that he would have seen play that he's signed aren't guaranteed games - ref. Halls, Sodje, Halford.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 01 Feb 2008 10:07

Wycombe Royal He obviously wasn't good enough in training or in reserve matches.

Any way I have said all I'm going to say on this subject. People far more qualified than any of us have decided he isn't good enough for our first team and their track record says that it is unlikely they are wrong this time.

I agree. Had coppell let players go who have gone on to bigger and better things then I would be inclined to agree that its a shame that Cox went. But Tyson and Henderson are the youth products that spring to mind who Coppell let go and neither of them have gone on to bigger and better things. So I think Cox wasnt quite good enough. Ultimately as soon as Long came along there was a rival of a similar age. The mangement think that Long is better than Cox - and they know the players better than us.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Feb 2008 10:08

The whole year inn Lets face it, If Long went on loan to Swindon and came back with the scoring record Cox had, Coppell would have lost the sight in one eye through over-masterbation.

I'm sorry but that's bollox. If anything Long was a Dolan "find". Coppell doesn't scout for players. Even those that he would have seen play that he's signed aren't guaranteed games - ref. Halls, Sodje, Halford.

No he wasn't.

Doyle was recommended through Dolan's brother and then Coppell/Hammond/McDermott (I can't remember if it was all or one of them...Coppell definately made a gag about being over there for Guiness though) saw Long play when they went over to check out Doyle. They took a punt on him because of the little bit they saw of him then.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 01 Feb 2008 10:10

Schards#2
Wycombe Royal Anyway, i've said all I'm going to say on this subject. People far more qualified than any of us have decided he isn't good enough for our first team and their track record says that it is unlikely they are wrong this time.

If you're just going to take the view that every decision made by the club and the management is correct as they are closer to the issue, then you're really going to bring much to a discussion board.

I dont follow that logic. its an opinion, just the same as you have an opnion . Surely what provokes discussions is difering views - even if one view backs the management.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:11

Only one Trevor Morley
Wycombe Royal He obviously wasn't good enough in training or in reserve matches.

Any way I have said all I'm going to say on this subject. People far more qualified than any of us have decided he isn't good enough for our first team and their track record says that it is unlikely they are wrong this time.

I agree. Had coppell let players go who have gone on to bigger and better things then I would be inclined to agree that its a shame that Cox went. But Tyson and Henderson are the youth products that spring to mind who Coppell let go and neither of them have gone on to bigger and better things. So I think Cox wasnt quite good enough. Ultimately as soon as Long came along there was a rival of a similar age. The mangement think that Long is better than Cox - and they know the players better than us.

Do you not question why Long has been given 30-40 opportunities to demonstrate he's not up to it whereas Cox was given one and looked outstanding?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:14

Only one Trevor Morley
Schards#2

I dont follow that logic. its an opinion, just the same as you have an opnion . Surely what provokes discussions is difering views - even if one view backs the management.

He's doesn't have an opinion of his own, he's just going to go with whatever the club thinks.

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 01 Feb 2008 10:15

Given that you're both on friendly terms with Long, RL & Schards, do you proffer your opinion of him to his face?

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 01 Feb 2008 10:16

Schards#2
Only one Trevor Morley

Do you not question why Long has been given 30-40 opportunities to demonstrate he's not up to it whereas Cox was given one and looked outstanding?

Thats your opinion. I've watched both Cox and Long for the reserves - I personally felt that Long has more to his game. The management have a similar view and they've seen him more. Perhaps they are wrong and you're right - but more likely to be the other way around I expect.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Feb 2008 10:17

Schards#2

If you aren't willing to accept that you might, just might, be wrong on any subject then you don't bring much to it either.

You have shown on nearly every topic that you aren't willing to accept anyone elses viewpoint, and I've even seen WSF do that on one occasion.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Feb 2008 10:18

Schards#2
Only one Trevor Morley

outstanding is probably pushing it.....
he looked promising, again,
remind me, which giants of the world game were vieing for his signature?

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 01 Feb 2008 10:19

Schards#2 He's doesn't have an opinion of his own, he's just going to go with whatever the club thinks.

but his individual opinion is that the club know best. its not an unreasonable opinion to have. irritating perhaps, but it still an individual opinion.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 01 Feb 2008 10:20

Wrong.

Coppell was out looking at the Dolan-recommended Doyle.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Feb 2008 10:23

Only one Trevor Morley
Schards#2 He's doesn't have an opinion of his own, he's just going to go with whatever the club thinks.

but his individual opinion is that the club know best. its not an unreasonable opinion to have. irritating perhaps, but it still an individual opinion.

Only on this particular subject. There are probably others that I agree with the club on (lack of transfer activity isn't one of them) but I form my opinion based on what I know. Past experience tells me they have got this one right.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:24

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Given that you're both on friendly terms with Long, RL & Schards, do you proffer your opinion of him to his face?

I've never met him or spoken to him in my life.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 01 Feb 2008 10:26

Wycombe Royal
Only one Trevor Morley

Only on this particular subject. There are probably others that I agree with the club on (lack of transfer activity isn't one of them) but I form my opinion based on what I know. Past experience tells me they have got this one right.

I take the point - I'm just saying that if you back the management its an opinion that helps generate discussion. it would be dull if everyone had the same view - even if it were a anti-management one.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:27

Wycombe Royal
Schards#2

If you aren't willing to accept that you might, just might, be wrong on any subject then you don't bring much to it either.

You have shown on nearly every topic that you aren't willing to accept anyone elses viewpoint, and I've even seen WSF do that on one occasion.

I don't agree with the management's opinion on this. Time will tell if it's right.

If you ever have a viewpoint, i'll tell you what I think of it.

I presume you are referring to the extension. Given that there has still been no announcement, do you think it's possible, just possible that the club is now agreeing with my opinion that it isn't prudent and, therefore, you now agree with me?

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 01 Feb 2008 10:28

Schards#2
The Surgeon of Crowthorne Given that you're both on friendly terms with Long, RL & Schards, do you proffer your opinion of him to his face?

OK. I thought I remembered RL saying that he's been round your house & that she'd given him a lift in her car. I thought you would have met him then. Apologies if mis-remembered.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Feb 2008 10:30

Schards#2

OK. I thought I remembered RL saying that he's been round your house & that she'd given him a lift in her car. I thought you would have met him then. Apologies if mis-remembered.

No prob's. He has been but I haven't been around when he has.

Anyway, if I did meet him, i'd be far too polite to give him my opinions.

137 posts