Who will go down?

289 posts

Who do you think will occupy the final relegation place with Derby and Fulham?

Middlesbrough
1%
Wigan
2%
Reading
9%
Newcastle
14%
Sunderland
12%
Birmingham
7%
Bolton
54%

Total votes: 358
Fezza

Re: Who will go down?

by Fezza » 17 Mar 2008 11:54

Royal Rother Personally speaking I think we want to keep the teams below us, below us, so I just about favour a win for Newcastle. If we beat Brum at the weekend we'll then be 5 points clear of them and looking pretty safe. Very close call though and maybe a draw would be best. :|

Unsporting I know but I'm after a nil nil with injuries to McFadden and Owen. To be honest I'd rather Newcastle won as I think only KK can get them relegated and thier form would improve with another manager!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Mar 2008 12:08

Really not looking good for Bolton:

BBC Sport Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen will miss the rest of the season because of a back problem picked up in the warm-up against Sporting Lisbon on 6 March.

It means the Finn, 32, may have played his last game for Bolton as he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Trotters boss Gary Megson, who is using Ali Al Habsi as cover in goal, told the club website: "Jussi needs six weeks of rest to try to resolve this problem.

"He needs some form of surgery. Either way, his season is over."

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 17 Mar 2008 13:19

Birmingham do not have an easy run. They have 4 home games after tonight against Man City, Everton, Liverpool and Blackburn. I can't see many points there. Their 4 away games are us, Wigan, Villa and Fulham so they could have a real struggle

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Mar 2008 13:34

T.R.O.L.I. Really not looking good for Bolton:

BBC Sport Bolton keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen will miss the rest of the season because of a back problem picked up in the warm-up against Sporting Lisbon on 6 March.

It means the Finn, 32, may have played his last game for Bolton as he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Trotters boss Gary Megson, who is using Ali Al Habsi as cover in goal, told the club website: "Jussi needs six weeks of rest to try to resolve this problem.

The only thing in Bolton's favour is their ability to scrap which they have shown time and again in the past and don't forget they beat Man Utd earlier in the season.
A win by any of us near the bottom is major at this time of year and whereas Fulham have been written off for months their win yesterday keeps them in with a fighting chance.
We really do need to be on our game during this next fortnight otherwise we will still be in great danger and IMHO we are far from being out of the woods yet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Mar 2008 14:03

Fezza
Royal Rother Personally speaking I think we want to keep the teams below us, below us, so I just about favour a win for Newcastle. If we beat Brum at the weekend we'll then be 5 points clear of them and looking pretty safe. Very close call though and maybe a draw would be best. :|

Unsporting I know but I'm after a nil nil with injuries to McFadden and Owen. To be honest I'd rather Newcastle won as I think only KK can get them relegated and thier form would improve with another manager!

Only two injuries?!! I was after a mass brawl as well - at least two from either side sent off for violent conduct!! :twisted:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2008 14:21

BR2
T.R.O.L.I. Really not looking good for Bolton:

The only thing in Bolton's favour is their ability to scrap which they have shown time and again in the past and don't forget they beat Man Utd earlier in the season.
A win by any of us near the bottom is major at this time of year and whereas Fulham have been written off for months their win yesterday keeps them in with a fighting chance.
We really do need to be on our game during this next fortnight otherwise we will still be in great danger and IMHO we are far from being out of the woods yet.

They don't seem to have that fight at the moment, esp if yesterday's performance is any thing to go by. They did indeed beat Man U earlier in the season but that was with a goal by a certain N.Anelka - who despite leaving the club two months ago has still scored twice as many goals for the club this season than the next leading scorer.

Looking at their games since us they've lost 1-0 to Pompey, 4-1 to Blackburn, 3-1 to Liverpool and 1-0 to Wigan. 4 straight defeats, likely to soon be 5 given the trip to OT this week. They almost seem to be heading on a run similar to our recent one but as it's later in the season, it could well be terminal.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 17 Mar 2008 14:27

Saturday, 05 April 2008

Arsenal v Liverpool, 15:00
Aston Villa v Bolton, 15:00
Blackburn v Tottenham, 15:00
Fulham v Sunderland, 15:00
Newcastle v Reading, 15:00
Wigan v Birmingham, 15:00

Could be the critical day in the relegation battle

It's all terribly exciting, isn't it?!

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 17 Mar 2008 14:36

RoyalBlue Only two injuries?!! I was after a mass brawl as well - at least two from either side sent off for violent conduct!! :twisted:

Mmm ... doesn't that depend on who is playing whom in the ensuing games? Straight reds to Newcastle players keep them out of the next games against Fulham, Tottenham and Reading. Straight reds to Birmingham players would keep them out of Reading, Man City and Wigan. I think straight reds for the Newcastle players but second bookables for the Birmingham players.
Last edited by East Stand Royal 500 on 17 Mar 2008 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 17 Mar 2008 14:40

Now that's breakin' it down!

:lol:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Mar 2008 14:42

East Stand Royal 500 I think straight reds for the Birmingham players but second bookables for the Birmingham players.

Well make your mind up. So which is it? :wink:

Fezza

by Fezza » 17 Mar 2008 14:45

Have to say the games against Brum and Newcastle are the biggest for us this season, ignore the games v's Fulham and Derby as I think it'll pretty much all be over by then!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Mar 2008 14:47

Fezza Have to say the games against Brum and Newcastle are the biggest for us this season, ignore the games v's Fulham and Derby as I think it'll pretty much all be over by then!

Considering the Fulham game is the week after the Newcastle game, I'd say it's slightly premature to ignore that game...

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Mar 2008 14:51

Try as I might I cant seem to relegate us on the predictor...

I had a scenario where the only points we pick up are 3 against Fulham and Derby and one against Spurs and we still stay up by a point from Fulham and Bolton

I think Bolton will go down and that Wigan/Fulham fight it out for the other spot...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Mar 2008 14:56

Only one Trevor Morley Try as I might I cant seem to relegate us on the predictor...

I had a scenario where the only points we pick up are 3 against Fulham and Derby and one against Spurs and we still stay up by a point from Fulham and Bolton

I think Bolton will go down and that Wigan/Fulham fight it out for the other spot...

wigan are on a roll and havent conceded in over 6 hours of football

79Royal

by 79Royal » 17 Mar 2008 15:12

If we win four out of eight, we're are comfortably safe. We should be able to beat Birmingham (H), Fulham (H) and Derby (A). That may even be enough.

We then need to win one or draw a couple from:

Blackburn (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wigan (A)
Arsenal (A)
Spurs (H)

I'm still cautious though as I've seen us balls it all up before.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Mar 2008 15:15

I think we will go to Newcastle and not lose.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 17 Mar 2008 15:18

Gordons Cumming I think we will go to Newcastle and not lose.

I'm beginning to think we can win that one, although with it still being a few weeks away, Newcastle might have found some form by then.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 17 Mar 2008 15:20

Wycombe Royal
East Stand Royal 500 I think straight reds for the Birmingham players but second bookables for the Birmingham players.

Sorry - typo straight reds for Newcastle players keeps them out until we have played them.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 17 Mar 2008 15:44

I think straight reds for the Birmingham players but second bookables for the Birmingham players.

Sorry - typo straight reds for Newcastle players keeps them out until we have played them.

...and the funny thing is, I read it the way it was meant, and my praise was thoroughly sincere.

:lol:

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 17 Mar 2008 15:53

I'm with 79 royal, I think three wins might well turn out to be enough but I think we'll go well past that and stay up by what will look like a fairly ocmfortable margin in the end. I think we'll have got at least 7 points from the next 4 matches before we play Arsenal, another three points from the last three matches would be a decent end to the season really.

289 posts