Murty granted a testimonial

125 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Murty granted a testimonial

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 Apr 2008 23:34

PEARCEY
Woodcote Royal
Hampshire Royal I agree that Murty has earned a fair wage while he was/is playing for us, but in this day of mega-rich Prem footballers, he could have increased his wealth by moving on every couple of years. How much is Akinbiyi worth, for example.

He didn't and stayed with us. He is one of the reasons that we are where we are now. I will go to the testimonial regardless of who it's against and my entrance money will help charity as well as recompensing Murty for not lining his pockets with sign-on fees etc.

Agree with every word and I, too, am delighted Murts is getting this well deserved reward.

Isn't it odd how some fans trip over themselves in their haste to defend players like Sidwell, who displayed real greed in the manner that he left this club, yet begrudge another, who has given us 10 loyal years of service, one testimonial match on the grounds that he's a millionaire :roll:

I don't give a fcuk how much money our club captain has stashed away, I WANT to say a big thank you to him for all that he's done for us by making my small contribution to his retirement fund ................I'll be buying a ticket whether I'm on holiday or not.

Nice one, Mr Chairman.

You have to use the word "begrudge" dont you Woodcote. Those of us against are not trying to "begrudge" Murty anything. Testimonials are IMO outdated for todays top flight footballers. Yes Murts has been loyal but so have the club to him standing by him in his early days at the club when he was injury plagued and by offering him a three year contract last year.Indeed I was under the impression the three year deal was a sweetener to Murts as he was not going to get a testimonial. He is very well paid for his loyalty.The days of testimonials should in my view be eradicated at this level and are more relevant in the lower leagues where players are not so financially secure.

Well that's the beauty of a testimonial. If you don't think it's a worthwhile cause then don't go.

I've no problem with people saying such games shouldn't be needed any more, but it seems rather petty to be actively against them happening. You make it sound like the club and Murty are conning fans out of money.

Besides, a testimonial has always been about long service. Players weren't 'loyal' in the days when they played for £20 and a packet of woodbines either - they just weren't allowed to move unless clubs let them, even if their contract ran out.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 05 Apr 2008 21:01

How about York City?

starbug

by starbug » 25 Apr 2008 18:20

Grapevine tells me Inter Milan could be on the cards, whoever it is I think it'll be a rather muted occasion should we have a season in the Championship to look forward to...

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 25 Apr 2008 18:34

starbug Grapevine tells me Inter Milan could be on the cards, whoever it is I think it'll be a rather muted occasion should we have a season in the Championship to look forward to...

Much like Gilkes' was. :cry:

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 25 Apr 2008 19:08

Accrington Stanley? :lol:

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 25 Apr 2008 22:43

rg6royal Accrington Stanley? :lol:

Who are they?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 25 Apr 2008 22:56

starbug Grapevine tells me Inter Milan could be on the cards, whoever it is I think it'll be a rather muted occasion should we have a season in the Championship to look forward to...

Inter have certainly been offered to RFC in the past for friendlies, however the stumbling block has always been a fee with them wanting in the region of £1million. Given though that it's a testomonial and all money is being donated to charity, I wouldn't rule them out.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Murty's testimonial

by rhroyal » 15 May 2008 13:47

Does anybody know anything about this? I don't know the date of it or what is in store but I definitely want to go as the players of Murty's generation really will be remembered by me as I've been aged 9-19 since he joined so it has been my era so far. Anyhow, just wondering if anyone knew anything. I remember Parkinson's one, and it was a great night because we were also celebrating promotion that night too. Unfortunately that's not so much the case on this occasion but Murty deserves the night anyway.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Murty's testimonial

by crossie » 15 May 2008 13:48

Apparently it was gonna be against Inter Milan, but because we got relegated, they pulled out.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 15:11

crossie Apparently it was gonna be against Inter Milan, but because we got relegated, they pulled out.

aah, pikey's

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 May 2008 15:20

crossie Apparently it was gonna be against Inter Milan, but because we got relegated, they pulled out.

Inter Milan became Outer Milan then? :wink: :oops:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 May 2008 15:20

Its gonna be Reading town, isn't it?

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 15 May 2008 15:27

Let's hope Murts makes an extra case for Celtic now....

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 May 2008 15:34

Its the truth about Inter Milan, but now we've got the pub team, Inter MyNan

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 15 May 2008 15:35

Scrappy

Who are they?

Exactly

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 15 May 2008 15:35

URZZZZZZZZ Its the truth about Inter Milan, but now we've got the pub team, Inter MyNan

:lol:

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 17:38

rg6royal
Scrappy

Who are they?

Exactly

too much Soccer AM

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 15 May 2008 17:45

Unfortunately any game now looks unlikely as the date proposed for the testamonial game is the same day as the start of the CC Championship season!!!!!

Not easy to arrange a freindly game mid season either.

So poor old Murts gets a double whammy.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 18:33

Blue and White Toucan Unfortunately any game now looks unlikely as the date proposed for the testamonial game is the same day as the start of the CC Championship season!!!!!

Not easy to arrange a freindly game mid season either.

So poor old Murts gets a double whammy.

Can't you just take it back a week? or the week before..

Average

by Average » 15 May 2008 18:55

Or at the end of next season?

125 posts